Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111087 times)

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11445 on: March 16, 2011, 07:22:42 pm »

It's now Spring of my third year in this fort. I've seen no sign of traders or migrants. Rumour has it that their scouts saw the remains of our wagon entombed in the ice lake, and assumed we're all dead.

I have six dwarves, and no apparent way to make cloth or thread. I suppose I could dig downwards and hope to find silk in underground caverns... I have no underground crop seeds, and there's very little vegetation on the surface. I have very little wood, and no way of making weapons other than bone crossbows. I have three picks and five axes. I have a small pack of dogs and a few turkeys.

I don't think there's really a lot I can do with this one, is there?

Get to the caverns. You can live there just fine.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11446 on: March 16, 2011, 07:28:22 pm »

I just got attacked by a Thunderbird, totally unprepared.  It was killed by two war dogs. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11447 on: March 16, 2011, 08:01:34 pm »

Construction is going reasonably well considering I have only about 20 dwarves at the moment and not many idlers to do the building. I have just a few workshops working on making diorite blocks for the bridge superstructure, only one of them producing any furniture. I'll probably end up large portions of every layer of dark gray stone to complete the bridge. At least we have plenty of food and drink, including the desalinated water.

current progress: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/poi-26861-bridgecauseway
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11448 on: March 16, 2011, 10:16:55 pm »

I'm genning pocket worlds looking to embark right on top of goblins. I get a freezing haunted tundra with flux right next to a fortress! My first embark is wiped in 5 minutes by a werewolf.

Second embark I made it into the ground and tapped a magma lake at the bottom of my central staircase. Then I accidentally flooded the staircase with water (yay cave water cisterns) and managed to make obsidian.

I've got a good feeling about this fort!

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11449 on: March 16, 2011, 11:01:21 pm »

First siege, led by a Goblin Lasher on the back of a Giant Toad... which immediately swims to the bottom of a murky pool, drowning the lasher, and remains until I've killed enough goblins that it decides to skeedadle.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11450 on: March 16, 2011, 11:28:21 pm »

Mineflames was one of those nice forts - the trader always came when you asked, the elves kept trading despite the unexplained disappearance of their last traders, and enough miners arrived to keep up with digging tasks.

And the goblin invasions are low key, and enjoyable.

Until a strange FB manages to fly into the fort, and kills a hunter and a dog before being put down.  Tanning it's hide, and crafting it's bones was interesting (125 bone, apparently).  Now all the rest of my hunters are suffocating as well, as (I think) an invisible FB extract poison is sweeping through them.  Short of calling in CSI, not much I can do about it, but I'm hoping I get a goblin/elf siege before the tantrum spiral starts...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11451 on: March 17, 2011, 07:35:39 am »

Finally, some action in Ubas Nīng! In the closing weeks of our 8th year, the minotaur Omli Lasodrane (Routedknights) appeared.

I told my militia of 5 to gather inside the fortress entrance, but the first speardwarf to show up decided to stand outside instead and then charge towards the enemy.

The minotaur got the first attack and happened to snap his wrist, causing him to drop the spear. Omli gored him in the head to finish him off, and then started beating on a random civilian who wandered by. The civilian lasted longer than the legendary speardwarf, absorbing spinal injuries and numerous broken bones.

Only one other militia guy turned up (Porksword, the legendary swordsdwarf), and I got tired of waiting for the rest so I sent him outside to attack alone. He ran up behind Omli and slashed his foot off, and then broke bones in each of his other limbs as the minotaur crawled away. He even used his old training sword to knock a tooth out, from behind.

Omli, now known as Omli Lasodrane Koziacal (the Wild Top), was then struck down with a slash to the head. And at the same time the injured civilian suffocated.

So... first battle, 3 deaths (including the minotaur). Not as epic as it could have been, but after 8 years of nothing it was certainly a welcome change. And now I have something to engrave other than dwarves being surrounded by dwarves!

Edit: Yes! I've finally found those deep metals promised before embark! Galena! Lots and lots of galena.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:03:37 am by Newbunkle »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11452 on: March 17, 2011, 09:46:46 am »

*Crazy Cow strikes Crazy Cow in the forehead with his palm, bruising the brain!*
So, I was installing a waterfall in my dining room. It would drain the river down through the middle of the room and down into a narrow passage leading off the map. I smoothed the passage and opened the river.
Forgetting, of course, to carve the fortifications that would drain the water. Luckily, I had the foresight to install a floodgate to block off the water. I am now in the process of draining the drainage passage so that I can get those fortifications carved.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11453 on: March 17, 2011, 10:12:28 am »

I have just savescummed the first time in 2 years.  I feel dirty.

My crossbow squad apperantly spent all season refusing to pick up any new bolts.  I have no idea why.  Stocks show hundreds in stock.  But they refused to grab them.  And arrived at station with no ammunition at all.   Their station has a stockpile of no less than 200 bolts, so even if they didn't have any, they should of grabbed some out of the stockpile they were standing in.

Cue 80 orcs waltzing into the front gate, completely unmolested by bolts, and curbstomping my military with quantity over quality.  First few minutes went ok, and then my military simply got too tired to fight and collapsed from exhaustion.  The fortress guard and crossbow squad charged into the melee afterward in a desperate attempt to salvage the mess, but the guard's ineffective weaponry, and the crossbow squad's lack of heavy armor was their doom as well.

After watching the orcs rampage through the fortress for a bit, finding that the only remaining survivors were a few that I had locked in their rooms, and checking the bolt supply to see that I do indeed have a massive stockpile of stacks(not individuals) of bolts.   I decided that that was not a Fun enough ending for the fortress and hit the 3 keys that sell my soul to the Pterodactyl fiend down below.   Armok help me....
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11454 on: March 17, 2011, 10:27:08 am »

I've lost my ice fort because of thirst while the merchants were in the depot... Just before I've found the caverns 60 levels below the surface but no water. I didn't have the time to make booze from the plants. And so ended the history of The Considerate Mirrors.

Now I'm reclaiming it with The Nets of Holding and starting the cleaning operation. After that I'll secure a part of the caverns and start the booze production. I should have enough food and drinks to deal with the first caravan this time.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #11455 on: March 17, 2011, 10:47:19 am »

Doesn't reclaim remove every speck of mud from the caverns? If so, you're screwed.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11456 on: March 17, 2011, 10:51:27 am »

Despite the possibility of moving into the caverns, the lack of additional dwarves meant my previous fort was lacking interest, so I abandoned it. Now, a brave troop by the name of Nisgakmosus, "the Frosty Room", is settling a new site further south. They hope to survive farming sheep and chickens for food, and to exploit the potential metal resources of this area.

They shall name this place Rashrovod - "Deatharch".

(And I must build some sort of deadly archway or gateway into this - it has to be done! :) )

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11457 on: March 17, 2011, 11:10:12 am »

Doesn't reclaim remove every speck of mud from the caverns? If so, you're screwed.

Well, my caverns are full of grass so I've already planned to use gathered plants and trade for my booze

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11458 on: March 17, 2011, 01:18:37 pm »

I've lost my ice fort because of thirst while the merchants were in the depot... Just before I've found the caverns 60 levels below the surface but no water.

I've hard ice forts with implausibly deep caverns before. I feel for ya buddy.

Greiger, are you playing a different game to the rest of us? It's always orcs and dracons with you.

But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11459 on: March 17, 2011, 01:41:27 pm »

Just found magma for the very first time, in the form of a pool at -60z. I now realize why it is so incredibly dorfy, since my legendary furnace operator can smelt at an absolutely obscene rate. Also, because my engraver melted after carving a fortification. The smelting itself takes just about a second to complete, so it's mainly the short transport slowing him down. Am happy now. :D
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 3842