Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111125 times)

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11430 on: March 16, 2011, 09:11:08 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11431 on: March 16, 2011, 09:39:36 am »

Ubas Nīng is going well. Too well.

The king is happy, we're rich beyond our wildest dreams, we have more than 70 kids running around (over 250 dwarves in total), we have plenty of great meals and booze, and we've only lost a handful of dwarves in the 8 years the fort has been running.

The only downside is a lack of metal industry, as I've been unable to locate any of the "deep metals" our psychics predicted. I may have to push for the adamantine, but we don't really need it because we've never been attacked on our volcanic island. I expected some kind of flying monstrosity to show up by now, but so far we've not seen anything.

[/attempting to jinx it]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11432 on: March 16, 2011, 09:53:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is the third cavern layer. See the blood thorn at the top of the image, on the level below? Tis a sign.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11433 on: March 16, 2011, 10:16:49 am »

Well, I had to crack open a fair few entrances to the caverns to try to seal the leak, but a forgotton beast got in. It was swiftly taken down by my armed forces. Still focusing on repairing the flood damage, but on the plus side, when I'm done, I'll be able to set up some farms in the magma forge area  with all that mud that's been left behind.

Aaand just got a siege. Nice.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11434 on: March 16, 2011, 10:35:15 am »

This world is the first not eaten by black hole/magic explosion/runaway zombie reaction (read: crashed during worldgen). Finally, after 25 tries.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Kumagoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11435 on: March 16, 2011, 11:35:37 am »

Osna Heatedbranded the Silvery Pearl seems to be a very, very common subject on my engravings. And statues.

Good thing is, it's a dragon

And he burns elves :D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11436 on: March 16, 2011, 12:58:18 pm »

^ I approve of this dragon.

One of my military managed to fall into the dry moat in front of my fortress evading a crippled orc's punch.  After falling 4 z-levels and landing of a spike, the only wound is a broken wing.  From the combat reports. it seems her iron armor absorbed all the impact.  The only reason her wing got broken is because it hit the spike. 

She then got up, shook off the stun and finished off all the crippled orcs begging to be put out of their misery in the pit before climbing out and getting her wing set.

That's some damn good armor to absorb the entirety of a 4 story fall.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11437 on: March 16, 2011, 01:17:31 pm »

(previous post link)
So, all my dwarves and livestock escaped from the water, but they only managed to bring the three picks with them. There was no flat ground where they ended up, so I've ended up carving out a large portion of cliff face to work in. Part way through everyone got hungry, so I built some stone nest boxes for my turkeys, and killed the draft animals that hauled the wagon. Cooked up a nice piles of meals for my dwarves, though they still want booze. No caravan yet, and it's mid Autumn - should be here soon I hope!

I forget whether items survive being frozen in ice. If they do, I aim to recover everything I can by digging out the lake when it freezes. Otherwise I'm reliant on trade alone for booze - there seem to be very few plants or trees on this map. At least i can make stone pots instead of barrels now!

EDIT: OK, why did my mason just drown?
Oh. A camel kicked him into the water.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:19:09 pm by MooUK »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11438 on: March 16, 2011, 01:44:30 pm »

3 years into Hamechewed and the danger room is nearly complete. Just a few more spears and linkages.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11439 on: March 16, 2011, 01:46:08 pm »

The digging and deforestation have begun. Eventually my drydock will be fully dug out, and trees will be harvested from the dig site every step of the way.

Welcome... to Slickrock.

Spoiler: The beginning (click to show/hide)

(4x5 embark)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:49:15 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11440 on: March 16, 2011, 01:58:25 pm »

A siege has arrived, frogmen, two sides. Soldiers held them off from the northeast, western frogmen coming in close. Marksdwarfs letting off bolts, and - Thief! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Kumagoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11441 on: March 16, 2011, 02:44:45 pm »

Attacked by a six-legged feathered turtle forgotten beast. Not as fun as I expected, took a while to kill it, but it was mostly due to the hard shell from which everything glanced off.

No casualties, just a single broken arm.
Let's see if it gets shown on engravings in the future

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11442 on: March 16, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »

It's now Spring of my third year in this fort. I've seen no sign of traders or migrants. Rumour has it that their scouts saw the remains of our wagon entombed in the ice lake, and assumed we're all dead.

I have six dwarves, and no apparent way to make cloth or thread. I suppose I could dig downwards and hope to find silk in underground caverns... I have no underground crop seeds, and there's very little vegetation on the surface. I have very little wood, and no way of making weapons other than bone crossbows. I have three picks and five axes. I have a small pack of dogs and a few turkeys.

I don't think there's really a lot I can do with this one, is there?

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11443 on: March 16, 2011, 06:36:25 pm »

You could engrave as many cliff faces as you can before they all starve - so a future adventurer can happen upon them and laugh.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11444 on: March 16, 2011, 07:04:00 pm »

If I were to stumble upon such a thing I may think Toady had modded in some new horrifying evil that roams nearby and tortures victims until they die, trapping their souls in their now undead bodies as it's slaves. I would run and never look back.

You will survive just fine if you get to work and live off the caverns and their flora and fauna.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 3842