Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110954 times)

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11400 on: March 15, 2011, 11:09:03 am »

Wheelsabbeys is now a county, and the Countess sits on her throne in her grand hall, flanked by grotesque statues of black bronze (her favourite metal), and surrounded by swordsdwarves in iron plate.  She was once the expedition leader, but for whatever reason the dwarves decided to turf her and pick a different leader - there's pictures of this event engraved all over the fortress.

But now she's back, large and in charge, backed up by soldiers formed out of the latest migrant waves who wield steel swords imported from the capital.  There's a story here.  I don't think it's a happy one.

I broke through into the cave layer, only to discover that it's utterly barren, nothing but mud - no plants, no animals, nothing.  I think the area I breached used to be an underground lake but the water all drained out at some point.  I walled it up; I may throw a turkey down there later to take a look around.  Or maybe some dwarves; I've got a lot of them now and I don't think the Countess is a nice person.

I built a danger room for the first time ever, just to see what it's like.  So now I have a bunch of legendary fighters and a lot of dead pets impaled on spikes.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11401 on: March 15, 2011, 11:26:32 am »

After dumping the stray puppies in the volcano I decided to do it to all the random pets that the migrants bring with them. Oh god... the spam! There are two dwarves who keep cancelling a job to feed an animal, over and over again. The animals have already burnt up. :/

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11402 on: March 15, 2011, 11:29:45 am »

I built a danger room for the first time ever, just to see what it's like.  So now I have a bunch of legendary fighters and a lot of dead pets impaled on spikes.

So a win-win.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11403 on: March 15, 2011, 11:31:28 am »

I'm going to build a warship.

EDIT: Should I make it out of steel or clear glass?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:49:18 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11404 on: March 15, 2011, 11:36:32 am »

Yet again my crossbow squad fails at self preservation.  Choosing to fire at crippled trolls and melee orcs instead of the very threatening elite crossboworc tearing them apart.  At least this time it didn't result in the death of the entire squad.

However the captain of the crossbow squad got filled with en entire quiver full of orc bolts.  And lived!  He's currently recovering in the hospital.  He's never going to walk again due to a lower spine injury, but the doctors are doing a fantastic job of keeping him alive and without infection.  (Which may be because the well is using water directly from the river instead of "swamp" water making the water not have any contaminants.  May need more research...)

Spoiler: Large image (click to show/hide)

That's right folks, he's ecstatic. EDIT: Oh and he has ELEVEN bolts stuck in his body at various places.

Also looking at the lower stuff it seems that it is possible for creatures to become [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] when they drink nothing but booze for a long period of time.  Because this guy needs alcohol to get through the working day, but this custom race doesn't have the tag for it.  Interesting.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:40:00 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11405 on: March 15, 2011, 11:57:36 am »

incredibly tough is right, thats crazy.
Nom nom nom

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11406 on: March 15, 2011, 12:10:25 pm »

A dragon raptor showed up and started strangling my armorer to death.
Then my squad came in and murdered that dragon raptor.
Luckily the armorer made it out alive.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11407 on: March 15, 2011, 12:36:34 pm »

"The bronze colossus Malduz Scratchclash the Ace of Matching has come! A gigantic magic statue made of bronze and bent on mayhem."
"Some migrants have arrived."

*reaches for popcorn*

Bronze collosi ARE vulnerable to cage traps, aren't they? Aren't they??
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11408 on: March 15, 2011, 12:37:04 pm »

"The bronze colossus Malduz Scratchclash the Ace of Matching has come! A gigantic magic statue made of bronze and bent on mayhem."
"Some migrants have arrived."

*reaches for popcorn*

Bronze collosi ARE vulnerable to cage traps, aren't they? Aren't they??
They are!  :D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11409 on: March 15, 2011, 12:43:28 pm »

Holy crap.
Some demons just ambushed me.
That was some battle.
Also the traders were around to help.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11410 on: March 15, 2011, 01:25:46 pm »

I've had a catastrophic flood in my magma forges. I just hope the stacks and stacks of gold plated steel armour and adamantine weapons don't get washed into the magma
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11411 on: March 15, 2011, 01:30:15 pm »

Lamtogal Keshan, Stonestorm of flames as it is also known as. Set right in the middle of a perfectly flat desert, with no water in sight, and magma seas a mere 15 levels below ground.

It is currently winter of the second year, and the dwarves have been doing well, considering the extreme situation. Ultimately, The stonestorm of flames seeks to rise from the desert sands, a fortress of pure obsidian, above ground.

(I am glad I have seasonal saves. One of my first seven dwarves got moody, but I forgot to buy an anvil and he went insane, and his death led to a tantrum spiral that killed all 78 dwarves in the fort.)

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11412 on: March 15, 2011, 02:04:29 pm »

Savescumming is for bugs and crashes. =/

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11413 on: March 15, 2011, 02:05:02 pm »

A massive human-like giant came in.
I sent my 3 squads after it.
4 dwarves died in that epic battle.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11414 on: March 15, 2011, 03:32:48 pm »

Disaster has struck. A large, bronze-colossus shaped disaster.

In short there was a small side-entrance to my fort, which I had been sure was inaccessible from outside, however I was mistaken. And unlike the main entrance, this one wasn't covered by cage traps...

My 20-strong military made a valiant last stand in which the militia commander managed to take off one of its arms, but it killed most of my soldiers and only about half a dozen got away to the hospital. I had been trying to build some cage traps behind but a lack of cages put paid to that hope.

Since the interior of my fortrass has no narrow chokepoints whatsoever, I had no chance of walling it out. So currently most of the civilians are hiding at the bottom of the mine with a rapidly dwindling food supply, a few are stuck in the hospital with the remainder of the military (including the militia commander, but the troops are injured and most likely unable to fight, plus I have no idea where my doctors are) and the rest are being chased around by the colossus.

My only hope is that the mine bunker is defended by cage traps and eventually the colossus will get caught down there, but judging by the growing levels of unhappiness I may have a tantrum spiral on my hands soon too...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 3842