Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 755 756 [757] 758 759 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110563 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11340 on: March 12, 2011, 05:33:11 pm »

Lost a miner to a stupid accident. I forgot that mining out an entire pillar of rock doesn't remove the floor. Fortunately, he probably wasn't a very skilled miner(listed as a "Fish Dissector"), and I think my digging gets along quickly enough.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11341 on: March 12, 2011, 05:53:53 pm »

Work has commenced on the great Fightworked Clean-Up project. Every corpse, all body parts save shell and bone, and all vermin remains have been tagged for dumping via Z-Stocks. All dorfs, including the new immigrants, are busy dragging organic refuse to the only active dump zone... beneath a raised andesite bridge and well away from high-traffic areas. Once everybody's idle in the meeting area, I shall send a single dwarf to press the lever and atom-smash the garbage. Here's hoping this relieves some of my congested FPS.

ETA: Partial success, FPS went from mid thirties to upper forties. Yay.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:06:42 pm by proxn_punkd »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11342 on: March 12, 2011, 06:02:25 pm »

Lost a miner to a stupid accident. I forgot that mining out an entire pillar of rock doesn't remove the floor. Fortunately, he probably wasn't a very skilled miner(listed as a "Fish Dissector"), and I think my digging gets along quickly enough.

... you didn't actually forget anything, did you ;)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11343 on: March 12, 2011, 06:40:07 pm »

My militia commander went into a martial trance and killed an entire pack of zombie wolfs and a goblin snatcher SINGLEHANDEDLY without a scratch.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11344 on: March 12, 2011, 07:12:02 pm »

A dwarf is carrying TEN THOUSAND BEES!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11345 on: March 12, 2011, 07:18:05 pm »

Welcome to Ubas Nīng, "The Screams of Burning" - my first ever embark with a volcano.

I've been having terrible luck finding coal or trading for it on my maps, so I thought I'd try out some magma forges. I've never encountered magma before, since I don't dig down unless I need to - hence the volcano embark.

The volcano seems to have spawned and cut a lake in half, so when it emptied it made a little obsidian platform on one side. When it rains more water gushes down, but it usually dries up before hitting the lava.

At some point in the 3rd year, a piece of obsidian seems to have formed seperate from the platform. It immediately collapsed and dropped all the way down the volcano, giving me a message about discovering a magma sea... and adamantine. I thought that was cool, but a little odd.

Anyway, I've just lost one of my legendary miners. When I dug the first pipe for the magma, I disabled my legendary miners and let Urist McNoob dig out the wall. He seemed to have plenty of time to run away, so when I expanded it I didn't take the necessary precautions. :/

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11346 on: March 12, 2011, 07:35:09 pm »

Dwarven baby just punched out a monkey

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11347 on: March 12, 2011, 07:36:09 pm »

Last thing: stop making so goddamn many artifact jewelery. We have more bracelets than I have arms. Most reference each others. Screw you, guys.

But I bet they make your dwarves look fabulous.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #11348 on: March 12, 2011, 08:03:14 pm »

Dwarven baby just punched out a monkey

That may be the greatest thing ever.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11349 on: March 12, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »

We've got through the inevitable struggle to survive the post-goblin tantrum spiral, and are in the "Rebuilding with cautious optimism" stage. The last goblin just died, a thief who inexplicably decided to hang around after being caught. My new hunter stumbled onto him, and put a silver bolt right through his neck.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11350 on: March 12, 2011, 10:38:37 pm »

So basically goblins keep showing up to beat the shit out of each other and then run off.  Maybe it's some kind of goblin intimidation technique, I'm not sure.

Culture #3?

This explains so much about goblins.

Other explanation: Legends mode has taught me that my civ has never won a battle against the goblins.  The last four Dwarven queens in a row were mutilated and nailed to the doors of their own capitals.  It's entirely possible the goblins are attacking each other because they're pretty sure it's the only way they'll get a good fight.

Which is fairly accurate, I guess, since I'm letting the traps do all the fighting for me while the dwarves stay inside and knit.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11351 on: March 12, 2011, 10:55:18 pm »

So basically goblins keep showing up to beat the shit out of each other and then run off.  Maybe it's some kind of goblin intimidation technique, I'm not sure.

Culture #3?

This explains so much about goblins.

Other explanation: Legends mode has taught me that my civ has never won a battle against the goblins.  The last four Dwarven queens in a row were mutilated and nailed to the doors of their own capitals.  It's entirely possible the goblins are attacking each other because they're pretty sure it's the only way they'll get a good fight.

Which is fairly accurate, I guess, since I'm letting the traps do all the fighting for me while the dwarves stay inside and knit.

The interesting new direction the goblins are going seems great now, but wait until they show up with More Dakka.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11352 on: March 12, 2011, 11:11:31 pm »

I've generated a splendid large-sized world divided into two fairly large continents by a sea that enters in the central north and follows a parabolic curve of sorts to the south-east corner. There are many islands in the sea, including everything from ~1 region tile volcanic peaks to fairly large landmasses with an area greater than 75 tiles. The north third is tropical, the south third frozen. In the south-eastern-most part of the sea there is a point where I can build two bridges to join the continents across an island.

I've taken an adventurer across half the smaller north-eastern landmass, and now I intend to build those bridges, with the local dwarven civ, pull her the rest of the way across the world with the stories of the dwarves building bridges and fortifications easy, free, and safe to cross.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:16:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11353 on: March 12, 2011, 11:29:25 pm »

Yeah lately my gobbos have been turning up and fighting eachother. They're not attacking the other squads, and they're not being led by demons; they're just immediately turning on themselves. It's bizarre, and quite disappointing. My squads are itching to thrust their cyan shafts into some greenskins.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11354 on: March 12, 2011, 11:34:00 pm »

Yeah lately my gobbos have been turning up and fighting eachother. They're not attacking the other squads, and they're not being led by demons; they're just immediately turning on themselves. It's bizarre, and quite disappointing. My squads are itching to thrust their cyan shafts into some greenskins.
That does not sound right bro. Not at all...
Pages: 1 ... 755 756 [757] 758 759 ... 3842