Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110255 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11295 on: March 10, 2011, 04:55:46 pm »

"Aye. Overseer?"
"Shem Shemmegid? You have left your workshop at last? What do you bring us?"
"I've realized the work of a lifetime. An unique piece of jewelery I've been thinking about for years. Behold... Rasukilon."
"... Silvermoon?"
"Ayup."
"You called it Silvermoon even though there are just shining suns on it?"
"I didn't call it. It called itself Silvermoon."
"Oh, for Likot Likotvolal's sake. While two of our soldiers were getting slaughtered by our first ambush, you... you crafted a chrysoprase amulet that doesn't even match its name?"
"What did you expect from a humble gem setter?"
"Don't even know. Maybe a gem spear. That at least would have been able to pretend it is an useful addition. By the way, when are our armorers and weaponsmith getting a spiritual epiphany? Oh, at the very least, the goblins killed the elves after they filled our depot. Get some charcoal going, boys."
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11296 on: March 10, 2011, 05:06:31 pm »

Well, the human merchants and guards survived for a month in a 7/7 flooded trade depot, so I did things the old fashioned way: with lots and lots of blood. I knocked out the walls, and my militia commander and captain butchered them in a hallway full of bloody water and floating trade goods (a good deal of the blood was from the elves last season). My soldiers are currently chasing a donkey which is running full speed with the following injuries:
-Severed left rear leg
-Shredded guts, pancreas, stomach
-Broken, deeply cut lower body and right front leg
-Broken upper body
-Bruised left front leg, right rear leg
-Pain, fainting
I wish I could recruit the damn thing, stamina and endurance like that are hard to find...

They're very stubborn animals.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11297 on: March 10, 2011, 07:06:51 pm »

Disaster strikes!

In my brand new, incredibly laggy fortress, a troll approached from below while I was away and slaughtered five of our citizens, all four war dogs, both cats, both alpacas, and the only sow. It even stopped to destroy every last building. Apparently the woodsman was entirely unarmed and the miner that died wasn't mining properly.

The two survivors were a miner and the farmer. Apparently all the action happened on the surface in our meeting hall.
Our only hope is the two migrants, also a farmer and a miner, married even, who arrived, pausing the game. The troll left, at least.

The lag has decreased significantly since I dug into the second caverns and sealed off the area water was escaping from with the DFliquids tool.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:31:51 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11298 on: March 10, 2011, 07:25:16 pm »

First migrants brought me two masons and a gem setter. In an aboveground fort. Hurrah! Cause I'm also building a gneiss and orthoclase castle!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11299 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:39 pm »

So I mentioned that cyclops that spawned right in front of a bunch of immigrants and killed a cheese maker? The cheese maker's pet peachick was running for its life while I gathered the military to go take down the cyclops. I figured it probably died by the time they took care of things and dismissed it from thought.

A while later, while entertaining an elven caravan and wishing for magma...

An ambush! Curse them!

And there was that little peachick, running for its life from the goblins. So again I dismissed it as a loss and gathered the militar-

An ambush! Curse them!

Yep, little guy ran straight from one goblin horde into another. Well, there was no way it was surviving that, so I sent the military to mop up the goblins and lost a mason and two fishery workers that had been outside at the time.

Next season, as the humans arrive with horses full of goods-

An ambush! Curse them!

Spoiler: Sure enough... (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11300 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:14 pm »

It's doing that thing like in that old story where the loyal dog protected the body of it's master from an army.

Except you probably moved the body ages ago.  And the thing probably runs for it's life the moment anything even looks at it funny....

It's probably not a very bright peachick, or capable.  But I'll bet it can run fast.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11301 on: March 10, 2011, 10:44:43 pm »

I somehow managed to embark on a giant obsidian mountain that sidesteps an aquifer and gives safe access to the caverns. Fort is approaching self sufficiency but i do have this strange problem gift of pools of Dwarven Beer being smeared all over the place.
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11302 on: March 11, 2011, 01:51:08 am »

In the interest of not falling behind, I abandoned Wiredust and upgraded to the new version.  My new fortress, Tattootrade (founded by The Absolute Tool) is to be farm-based.  For now.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11303 on: March 11, 2011, 02:03:30 am »

Just caught a 2 headed minotaur in a cage trap by accident. I have no idea what to do with it.

Also, just had a dwaarven marksman one shot a FB with a steel bolt. Made him Baron.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11304 on: March 11, 2011, 02:06:23 am »

Running new fort under 0.31.21 set up with better than average minerals.
2nd year the elves and humans have come, traded and departed, annother group of migrants are comming in and an Ettin decides to wander by uninvited.
I have no traps, no doors and no military, but I DO have a scattering of dogs and war dogs.
  I order a wall to be built to close off the entrance, and watch as nobody comes to put in the wall. (every dwarf has masonry skill enabled). Ettin reaches the front of the fort within 4 steps and changes course, as he sees a cow grasing on the hill above the entrance, and goes over to attack the cow. Cow dodges and the first wardog reaches the Ettin, a few bites later 2 more war dogs join in and the ettin runs a hundred spaces then turns and fights the closest wardog, killing it in short order, then runs again... repeat the stop and fight twice more and then it comes back to the fort entrance as I've opened the wall back up to let in some dwarves. knowing the wall will not go back up in time I reluctantly draft all my miners.
  One miner, named Datan just happens to be outside and near the Ettin and when drafted steps right up to the Ettin readying his copper pick and judging his strike...

Ettin steps forward and Datan strikes the earth right through the bones in the ettin's foot, the ettin falls over and Datan methodically proceeds to break what seems to be every bone in the Ettin's body, for 22 pages of combat reports. Both hands, both lower arms, both upper arms, both feet, both lower legs, both upper legs, both left and right skulls, true ribs, lower spine, middile spine, left upper and right upper spine , tore both lungs and twisted the pick in them for good measure, got the kidney, got the spleen and got the guts, twisted the pick in them as well.  Dozens of arteries are spurting, and dozens of tendons are torn and motor and sensory nerves severed, yet it will not pass out and is crawling slowly away as Datan mines his bones.

The Ettin finally dies and I order 36 floor and wall spaces to be engraved, and not one mention of the fight.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11305 on: March 11, 2011, 02:27:39 am »

I just caught my first giant cave spider!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I mean, SURE, he may have torn two of my rangers to shreds as they decided to hunt him, but I don't care. I HAVE A GCS!
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11306 on: March 11, 2011, 03:09:54 am »

Running new fort under 0.31.21 set up with better than average minerals.
2nd year the elves and humans have come, traded and departed, annother group of migrants are comming in and an Ettin decides to wander by uninvited.
I have no traps, no doors and no military, but I DO have a scattering of dogs and war dogs.
  I order a wall to be built to close off the entrance, and watch as nobody comes to put in the wall. (every dwarf has masonry skill enabled). Ettin reaches the front of the fort within 4 steps and changes course, as he sees a cow grasing on the hill above the entrance, and goes over to attack the cow. Cow dodges and the first wardog reaches the Ettin, a few bites later 2 more war dogs join in and the ettin runs a hundred spaces then turns and fights the closest wardog, killing it in short order, then runs again... repeat the stop and fight twice more and then it comes back to the fort entrance as I've opened the wall back up to let in some dwarves. knowing the wall will not go back up in time I reluctantly draft all my miners.
  One miner, named Datan just happens to be outside and near the Ettin and when drafted steps right up to the Ettin readying his copper pick and judging his strike...

Ettin steps forward and Datan strikes the earth right through the bones in the ettin's foot, the ettin falls over and Datan methodically proceeds to break what seems to be every bone in the Ettin's body, for 22 pages of combat reports. Both hands, both lower arms, both upper arms, both feet, both lower legs, both upper legs, both left and right skulls, true ribs, lower spine, middile spine, left upper and right upper spine , tore both lungs and twisted the pick in them for good measure, got the kidney, got the spleen and got the guts, twisted the pick in them as well.  Dozens of arteries are spurting, and dozens of tendons are torn and motor and sensory nerves severed, yet it will not pass out and is crawling slowly away as Datan mines his bones.

The Ettin finally dies and I order 36 floor and wall spaces to be engraved, and not one mention of the fight.
There isn't enough red. Get some kaolinite and engrave there.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11307 on: March 11, 2011, 06:16:52 am »

Apparently im now playing dragon age.

Started in the age of the Bush titan and dragon.

Bush titan visits fortress. (A giant squirrel with antenae and deadly spit.) Titan is ended.

Year passes.

"You have entered the age of the dragon."

None of my dwarves have consumed the blood of the Goblins yet though.
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11308 on: March 11, 2011, 06:25:19 am »

Apparently im now playing dragon age.

Started in the age of the Bush titan and dragon.

Bush titan visits fortress. (A giant squirrel with antenae and deadly spit.) Titan is ended.

Year passes.

"You have entered the age of the dragon."

None of my dwarves have consumed the blood of the Goblins yet though.

You know what you need to do now, right? Mod Bronze Colussuses to be adventurer playable, kill that dragon, retire, and see if you enter the ag of the bronze colussus. For science.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11309 on: March 11, 2011, 06:31:44 am »

So I'm scouting a new location for a site, right?

I browse through the available civs and I see this one tiny dwarven civ with only 4 sites.  Curious, I open up LegendViewer, to see what's up with them and if this little civ is still alive or not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do you see what happened there?

Careful when you dig deep, boys and girls.  Nelas Glowheat the Scourge of The Contested Stake may have a surprise for you.

EMBARK WITH THAT AS YOUR CIV!

Then, when your fortress gets so rich that your king shows up, you have a deamon king. It will be AWESOME.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 3842