Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 751 752 [753] 754 755 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110239 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11280 on: March 10, 2011, 01:07:10 am »

We had a slight accident with the spike trap zone.  I wanted an FB to wander over it, so I opened the wrong bridge.  Sadly, my dwarves were dying (literally) to go out to that cavern.  Once one of them got spiked, something like 30 dwarves managed to walk over there to help him (or loot his corpse or whatever) before I could get someone to turn off the spike zone.  That's roughly 10% of the population.

Ooops.

Incidentally, the FB only killed one dwarf.  I should've just let the military kill that FB.  He wasn't even strong.  I only just finally let the two dwarves who managed to cage themselves out of the cages; I'm not sure why, but no one is even trying to rescue the surgeon who is half-dead now that he's out of the cage, even though that guy can't walk.  Guess I should've sent him back to the spike traps....

In other news, the Duchess is going crazy because someone slept in a better room.  I'm not even sure who.  I found that a gold vein made a couple of rooms royal, but I don't think they're really any better than hers.  The only really good ones are hers and the queen / king consort, but I don't think those are beneath her.  Then again, maybe she does consider herself better than the king consort / general....  I gave her some bronze and platinum chests + statues in the hopes that she's get over it (she loves bronze).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11281 on: March 10, 2011, 02:00:26 am »

Game just crashed.   :(  Not sure how much I lost.  Hopefully only a little bit.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11282 on: March 10, 2011, 03:50:00 am »

Well, my current fort is lasting waaay longer than I expected...
When it started, it sucked. On a completely flat map with a 3-way river as the only real feature, I tried to make the best of it, building a small hall-shaped building and then starting to mine. I didn't find any decent metals, most of my starting dwarves were either complete psychos or complete victims, and the lack of food started tantrums pretty quick. :P
Just about everyone was dying, but I appointed a sherrif, gave him steel mail (Think I got that from the first caravan), a silver warhammer I had forged for him, and set him loose.
He killed the **** out of those criminal scumbags!
Now, years after his death, my fort is still going thanks to him. I built him a memorial slab and had someone engrave a picture of him caving in a skull. :D

Also, in the early days of the fort, when the hall was full of dead animals and rubbish, and everyone was drunk and disorderly, I tried to cave the whole thing in. Now I'm glad it survived. :P
I've got several artifacts now though, (A silver grate, a fungiwood blowgun and bow, a dwarven bone chest and some other odds and ends) and lots of masterpiece weapons etc, so I'm expecting a goblin attack sooner or later... Doubt my fort will survive, my military have proved their ineptitude on an FB not long ago. (Killed six, because they all ran into the caverns to grab equipment, when I'd stationed them on the surface. :( How can I command them to carry their weapons at all times? I have one maceman who does, everyone else doesn't)

It's survived longer than I expected, though. :) Good fun!

EDIT: In my next fort, I want to learn to make traps, and manage military better. I'm learning, though.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:51:50 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11283 on: March 10, 2011, 05:29:36 am »

Urist McThresher bumps into Goblin Master Thief!

<Overseer pauses, flips a switch>

Urist McRecruit hits Goblin Master Thief about 30 times barehanded!
Disoriented Goblin Master Thief staggers towards a stagnant pond!
Urist McRecruit grabs hold of Goblin Master Thief by the throat and proceeds to strangle Goblin Master Thief!
Urist McRecruit drops strangled Goblin Master Thief into the stagnant pond, which promptly turned the tepid waters red!

<Overseer pauses, flips a switch>

Urist McThresher walks back inside the fort for a drink.

A typical day in my fort :D

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11284 on: March 10, 2011, 06:13:34 am »

1/3 of my population are children :P

I also managed to breed GDS, but i had a weird message like "Stray Giant Desert Scorpion has given birth to a boy" rather than "scorpion hatchlings". Oh well.

Loof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11285 on: March 10, 2011, 06:51:52 am »

I just saw a goblin invader bite the head of a baby, and then I mean in a "flies of in an arc" way.
And my only good soldierdorf decided to take a pre-battle nap.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:53:36 am by Loof »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11286 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:52 am »

Pah, my dwarves bite forgotten beasts !

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11287 on: March 10, 2011, 09:08:45 am »

Just started a fort, 'Syrupcloisters' in a pretty valley which supposedly has a variety of shallow and deep metal, as well as flux and clay. Not seen much metal yet, though an abundance of clay.

I've made the entrance hall, stockpiles, workshop area, kitchen and dining room so far - proceeding with fortifications next.

My main goal for this for it LOTS OF BEES!
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11288 on: March 10, 2011, 01:20:33 pm »

2 vile forces of darkness arrived.  They apperantly don't like eachother because instead of going after my fortress the squad's immediately charged the other's army.

My military is on alert, and noone is allowed to leave the gate.  But I think this siege is going to handle itself without any input from me.

As a side note the goblins immediately attacked and slew their own law giver upon arrival.  Military coup anyone?

EDIT: The goblins lost the exchange.  Not surprising since their opponents, Orcs, are much larger than they are.  Still they pretty much reduced the orc army down to 3 weaponmasters and a single squad of maceorcs.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:30:46 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11289 on: March 10, 2011, 01:47:33 pm »

First death: a possessed clothier who got melancholic. All that because a dumbass used all the thread to make extra superfluous cloth without my permission. Don't care.
Second death: mining accident. Whoops.
Third death: ... hey, wait, that's it. Nobody else is even injured. Or infected. Or scarred. Nothing. And it's been over a year, and we have elves, and goblins, and kobolds. Okay, what is going to turn horribly wrong in Legendcrypts? Methinks the gold demon goblin leader, whose title is something along the lines of "the Master of Heroes", and whose engravings are everywhere, will help with the FunŽ.

In another news, this is the first fort whose founding party doesn't die within the year. I thank instant farms for that.  :D
And my modded pet creature unexpectedly needs to drink (and eat?) apparently. They're like the new tigermen.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:22:01 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11290 on: March 10, 2011, 01:48:55 pm »

Pah, my dwarves bite forgotten beasts !
You mean they're armless?  :P
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11291 on: March 10, 2011, 03:52:47 pm »

The goblins came earlier than expected. They had iron weapons. I had no defenses. But I had 40 dwarves, and fortress they'd die to protect.

I created four complete squads. 40 dwarves charging at once. It was brutal, it was vicious, it was terrible... and it was glorious.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11292 on: March 10, 2011, 03:56:42 pm »

Just made a construction that lets me flood stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Works nicely, but a tad underwhelming. Needs more water. =P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11293 on: March 10, 2011, 04:20:30 pm »

Well, the human merchants and guards survived for a month in a 7/7 flooded trade depot, so I did things the old fashioned way: with lots and lots of blood. I knocked out the walls, and my militia commander and captain butchered them in a hallway full of bloody water and floating trade goods (a good deal of the blood was from the elves last season). My soldiers are currently chasing a donkey which is running full speed with the following injuries:
-Severed left rear leg
-Shredded guts, pancreas, stomach
-Broken, deeply cut lower body and right front leg
-Broken upper body
-Bruised left front leg, right rear leg
-Pain, fainting
I wish I could recruit the damn thing, stamina and endurance like that are hard to find...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11294 on: March 10, 2011, 04:47:30 pm »

This:

[...]
Mayor's log #13

An ambush! Curse them!
I tried to tell the dwarves to get the FUCK BACK IN THERE!

...  they didn't (I guess burrows don't work without [Can_Learn]).  Apparently the socks of their fallen comrades are way more important  than survival to them. Darvinism at it's finest. Guess I'll have to make  our tomb bigger after the mess is over.

... and the Elves have arrived. Fun-facking-tustic.
Pages: 1 ... 751 752 [753] 754 755 ... 3842