Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110174 times)

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11235 on: March 08, 2011, 01:12:02 pm »

Part 69 of my LP is up.

You know what I was epexcting to arrive? Migrants. Haven't gotten migrants in a long time. But of course that isn't what happended. Putting serious consideration into building a magma pump.

I think, at this point, my dwarf's first word would be "Doom!".

Remember last siege when somebody suggested an underground maze that would be used to lure the siegers in, after which it would be flooded? I think it would be your best bet as of now. You'd have to figure out a way to get ALL the siegers in there at once, and then have a way to block the entrance and exit that can't be destroyed by trolls. You pretty much just have to remain firmly walled-in until it's complete, and have a brave suicidal lucky dwarf open it to the surface. Once the deathtrap is airtight, just connect it to the ocean and you've got a successful slaughter.

Plus you don't really have the kind of terrain that would allow magma flooding. You'd risk obsidianizing the moat and creating a walkable path across it. That'd be bad.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11236 on: March 08, 2011, 01:12:36 pm »

I got my first justice dealing today! A tantruming swordsdwarf who injured my legendary engraver and broke a door. Turns out a novice kicker/fighter is enough to kill. Kinda glad he died, he cut off my legendary engraver's arm.

EDIT: I'm also forging my first steel equipment! 10 swords, 10 axes, and 10 stacks of bolts.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:31:49 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11237 on: March 08, 2011, 01:49:16 pm »

Boring. My horde of cats n rabbits kills all the kobolds. Makes me sad that my legendary sworddwarf is useless, and is being bested by a horde of fur balls.

You could send 'em after a cave crocodile. Either your swordsdwarf becomes useful again, or you strip cave crocodiles of their dignity forever.

It's a win-win.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11238 on: March 08, 2011, 02:06:03 pm »

I know animals don't really have a personality as of now, but I SWEAR the Water Buffalo that came with the wagon is intentionally picking fights with my sheep. It keeps trying to sit on them and they end up kicking at each other. I built a butcher's shop to take care of the problem.

Also, the first dwarven caravan came! And I just finished setting up the magma smelters too! Now I can start making wea-

They didn't bring an anvil?

What is WRONG with you?

They didn't bring any anvils, weapons, armour, drinks, wood, barrels, or gems. Just cloth, leather, meat, cheese and a single bar of steel. That I can't use.

Despite that, I gave them a huge profit margin, as well as a bin full of crafts as an offering. I also specifically asked for anvils, weapons and armour for next year. Hopefully that'll guarantee some useful stuff.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: March 08, 2011, 02:08:15 pm »

Part 69 of my LP is up.

You know what I was epexcting to arrive? Migrants. Haven't gotten migrants in a long time. But of course that isn't what happended. Putting serious consideration into building a magma pump.
Ballistae! Gogogo!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: March 08, 2011, 02:12:53 pm »

I know animals don't really have a personality as of now, but I SWEAR the Water Buffalo that came with the wagon is intentionally picking fights with my sheep. It keeps trying to sit on them and they end up kicking at each other. I built a butcher's shop to take care of the problem.

Same thing happened to me. Water Buffalo acting aggressive towards other animals. If my dwarves can't bet money on it, I don't want that happpening.

Anywho, the grass in caverns bug is still happening, making the first level of caverns look like a magical underground utopia rather than an otherwordly cave of monsters. I've decided I don't quite mind.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: March 08, 2011, 02:17:55 pm »

GAAAAAAAAHHHHH DAMN IT

MY TALENTED WEAPONSMITH WAS EATEN BY SOME RANDOM CAVE CROCODILE

I can bear the loss of a legendary tanner, but a weaponsmith...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:20:34 pm by Naryar »

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #11242 on: March 08, 2011, 02:50:38 pm »

everything was going good... fortress starting to grow, 17 dwarves, i was digging a tunnel to start a metalsmithing industry thanks to my volcano...

Then... the nightmare comes. With 31.19 it became very rare, but with newer version it returned... my fortress is ruined... The announcement of the death:

You have struck microcline!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Seriously now: first time i struck microcline since 31.19 went out.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:52:45 pm by Iados »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: March 08, 2011, 02:55:41 pm »

Mod it so it's grey !

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11244 on: March 08, 2011, 05:36:29 pm »

A single goblin lasher that had run ahead of his squad has decimated 2 of my squads my himself.  8 Wounded and incapacitated, 1 dead, from him alone before he went down.

And then afterward while rushing my doctors to collect the wounded and sending my crossbow squad(the only squad to not get their ass handed to them) and the fortress guard go handle a ogre squad stuck in a pathing loop.  An orc ambush showed up, right on top of the crossbow squad.  Also kicking their asses. Before apperantly deciding they had enough and left the map. Total dead, 6. Including the captain of the guard and the lancer squad captain.  Total wounded 9.  Wounded with infections despite the doctors using copious amounts of soap,  EDIT: 6.

Seriously, is there even a point to soap?  It doesn't do a damn thing to fight infection.  Soap or no I always lose about 50% of my wounded to infection.  I'm starting to think I shouldn't even bother to avoid the clean self spam bug.

EDIT: Yea I just saw a diagnoser notice an infection (a minor miracle) put another order in for the part to be cleaned again.  Somebody comes by with a bucket and some soap, cleans it, and whaddaya know, it's still infected.  Soap is worthless.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:54:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: March 08, 2011, 05:47:08 pm »

A forgotten beast. and a goblin ambush. at the same time. within 10 tiles of each other.

The battle was epic, and I owe the goblins a favour for taking out the beast.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: March 08, 2011, 06:12:21 pm »

when it comes to epic imagery of a fallen fortress filled with death, you can't do much better than a waterfall of miasma.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11247 on: March 08, 2011, 06:16:48 pm »

Anywho, the grass in caverns bug is still happening, making the first level of caverns look like a magical underground utopia rather than an otherwordly cave of monsters. I've decided I don't quite mind.

... Ditto, aside from the bone-bolt-studded Forgotten Beast dripping vomit all over the place. Kind of spoils the mood.

In other news:

The Cyclops Astru Genong Okasmaz has come! A giant humanoid monster with a single eye set in its forehead.
Some migrants have arrived.

RIGHT. ON TOP. OF THE CYCLOPS.

*facepalm forever*

ETA: Army moved nice and quick-- the cyclops killed a cheesemaker and a peacock chick before my swordsdorfs and captain of the guard showed up to show it who's boss.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:26:23 pm by proxn_punkd »

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11248 on: March 08, 2011, 06:42:11 pm »

The Chief Medical Dwarf married our Bone Doctor... :)
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: March 08, 2011, 09:47:22 pm »

All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 3842