Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109911 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11190 on: March 06, 2011, 07:56:13 pm »

Well. My (only) soldier, who also happens to be a skilled hammerdwarf armed with a silver warhammer and clothed in my first set of iron chain has just started randomly murdering dorfs left and right, with no provocation apart from a kill order on some wolves a while ago. I started with 20 dorfs. The current bodycount is 13. The walls of the entrance are painted with blood, and she is still chasing the rest around the dining room breaking limbs left and right. I'm going to let this run its course and try to rebuild.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11191 on: March 06, 2011, 09:18:02 pm »

My first vile force of darkness! Yay! Issue alert level 1 and close the outer gates! The frogmen are here!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11192 on: March 06, 2011, 09:21:54 pm »

My first vile force of darkness! Yay! Issue alert level 1 and close the outer gates! The frogmen are here!

I guess problem solved then?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11193 on: March 06, 2011, 09:24:00 pm »

Haven't played in months; waiting for bugfixes, etc. So I downloaded 31.20 today, cracked my knuckles, and generated a new world with maximum minerals.

My civ's name: the Swords of Scarring. My fortress's (randomly-generated) name: Siegesmith. My dwarves' group name: the Crab-Town of Incinerating.

It's like I'm playing again for the first time. :D

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11194 on: March 06, 2011, 09:34:14 pm »

I guess problem solved then?
Yup. And two goblin ambushes later I have a Phyrric victory. Nice mod.

EDIT: Almost a second after I posted this another vile force of darkness arrived. It's working. Dark stranglers.
EDIT2: We've driven them back! This is the most fun I've had in months!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:41:25 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11195 on: March 06, 2011, 11:26:40 pm »

"A migrant has arrived"

I don't think I've ever gotten a migrants message that used the singular. He was a proficient macedwarf, too, and the dorf army is always recruiting!

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11196 on: March 07, 2011, 12:12:58 am »

Just got my very first set of steel mail shirts and breastplates churned out. Now, I'm waiting on the rest of the armor and axes. I've never had a really well equipped military before, so I'm really excited to get these dwarfs outside to kill some cougars and groundhogs.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11197 on: March 07, 2011, 02:10:31 am »

Just embarked on a new spot, testing out .21 with the mineral thing, popped open dfreveal real quick to give me a gauge as to where my caverns were.. 61 z-levels down, I find the first hole into the third cavern, and the third cavern is 70 (seventy!) z-layers tall, before it reaches the massive underground lake of water. Craaaaazy...at least to me, usually they're no more than 10 z-levels or so.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11198 on: March 07, 2011, 03:43:50 am »

Booted up 31.19 to try it out, just picked a random nice spot (river-check, relatively flat-check, some minerals-check). Embarked with carefully picked crew and equipment. Dug down 2 dirt levels, hit an aquifer. No biggie, always wanted to try cave-in breach. Decided to check number of aquifers with DFReveal.

...1 layer
...2 layers
...3 layers
...4 layers....
...6 LAYERS?!?!

...I think I either broke down or started laughing...

Oh, I did check other locations on the map, varies between 4-6 layers.

Oh, and there was a Candy Fortress with the Candy Cane down there. Never saw one before...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:45:49 am by Raufgar »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11199 on: March 07, 2011, 06:11:04 am »

Outpost Berozkak "Earthcarries" is back in operation after a quick reclaim. As the magma forges and farm were already running when my last group was wiped out by their own defenders, I have little for most of my dorfs to do, apart from harvesting the crap scattered all around.

Given the high level of created wealth already reclaimed, I'm wondering how long it will be before the first ambush...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11200 on: March 07, 2011, 12:28:09 pm »

Berthedak!  Source of the best socks with little pictures of dwarves on them you will ever find.

So due to a gap in my subterranean walls, some rutherers got into the fortress.  I didn't have a military at the time, but my Legendary weaver was apparently a hammerdwarf in his life before he emigrated to Berthedak - so I slapped the best scraps of armor I had on him, including an artifact buckler, and scrounged the materials to make him a silver warhammer.  So armed, my hero went out to take on the rutherers!

The first one he found got a lucky shot and kicked him in the head, breaking his spine at the neck, bit his arm and tore it off, and then trampled his chest.  He died shortly after, paralyzed and drowning in his own blood.

After that I discovered the rutherers were actually quite shy and they went to hide in less-travelled parts of the fortress.  I set up some cage traps around the place in case they blundered into them and decided to ignore the problem.

This may slow down production of our next shipment of Hello Kobold shoes.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #11201 on: March 07, 2011, 01:19:32 pm »

It's Boatmurdered all over again. The elephants are attacking my cavies.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11202 on: March 07, 2011, 02:17:59 pm »

"A kidnapper has made off with dwarven baby Asmel Kubukrimad!"

I have never had a successful kidnapping take place. Apparently the mother was an inattentive woodcutter, which is why the gobbo didn't have to travel a gamut of traps, dwarves, and guard cheetahs. Oddly, she doesn't seem to have a negative "mah baby was stole!" thought. The baby is happy to be free.

All in all, I liked that baby. He liked duckies for their quacks. I shall have to establish a memorial, even if the parents don't seem to care.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11203 on: March 07, 2011, 02:40:41 pm »

After a long hiatus, testing 31.21. I am not in the best map to test most new features, alas, but so far, it's looking nice, especially with the metal frequency option (note to self: the highest setting is really, really high). Instant farms are AWESOME.
The brook right in the middle of the fort makes a nice natural waterfall. Building a dinner room around it.  :D

Last note: I "finished" the previous 31.18 fort at last.
The hydra attacked the dwarf that tried to push it into the pit leading to the FBs, so the military dispatched it (and another FB) after it killed 5 civilians. The ultimate hydra vs. Forgotten Beast(s) showdown won't be for today.  :( :'(
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11204 on: March 07, 2011, 02:48:10 pm »

After a long hiatus, testing 31.21.

(note to self: the highest setting is really, really high)

Instant farms are AWESOME.

Same here, good to know, agreed. Apparently I'm at war with the elves, too. I like this place already.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 3842