Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109678 times)

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11145 on: March 05, 2011, 12:58:39 pm »

My first ever siege...  the goblins took 10 minutes to cross the map, attacked a miner trapped outside, he hit off one of their heads in one strike with his pick, they all ran away.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: March 05, 2011, 01:20:26 pm »

Dwarves with multiple litters...I was wondering why it was taking so long for a lot of things to get done despite having 55 dwarves, but a cursory review of my population determined that I had 14 children, 10 soldiers, and only 27 dwarves actually working.

Of course, I forgot to fix the raws (I had made some changes, one of which in this case was a maxage of 60:120 for dwarves to give me human-like ages for flavor purposes, such as retirement from the military at 45 and civilian retirement at 60), so an error from previous testing results in them becoming adults at age 3.  Of course, they'll only be able to have specialized jobs at age 12 and join the military at 18, so...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: March 05, 2011, 01:32:29 pm »

Elven traders brought nothing, currently walled into the Insanity Room. A mason is mooded and I don't have what he wants, but my swordmasters are training nearby, so I'm not worried much. In an effort to combat fps delay, every animal apart from war grizzlies is being systematically slaughtered by a pair of dedicated butchers. I don't have the space or time to even begin to process all that meat, so I set them up in an abandoned mineshaft and let the miasma spread out. The main entrance is thoroughly trapped now, and the haulers are also combatting fps loss by piling all extra stone on the DAS. Things have been relatively uneventful, only a few ambushes that needed to be run off. Engraving of the living quarters has been completed; apparently one of my legendary engravers has a thing for mango trees. I suspect he may be an elf spy. A few weeks in locked in his room should reveal the truth.

Edit: The first trial of the new DAS was perfect. Not only did it smash all the stone, but it also killed both female cats! Excellent!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:32:45 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: March 05, 2011, 01:59:58 pm »

Oh by Armoks Beard YES! Hematite. LOTS OF IT. Praise the almighty blood god!

Just had to post that.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11149 on: March 05, 2011, 02:12:26 pm »

Oh by Armoks Beard YES! Hematite. LOTS OF IT. Praise the almighty blood god!

Just had to post that.

8,600 magnetite, flux, native gold and an insane number of gems here.  Took about five tries but I got it.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11150 on: March 05, 2011, 03:02:39 pm »

Embarked with a dedicated armourer / weaponsmith / blacksmith for the first time. Currently trying to breach the aquifer. One of my 2 miners is currently drowning. I don't know if I'll be able to rescue him or the pick.

In my other fortress, I got my second seige ever. I raised the drawbridge and sent my military out to the courtyard, where they were almost all killed / wounded by giant bat and elk bird riding goblins. Both of my legendary metal worker people are lying in the hospital now. A bunch of goblins (all mounted) and trolls are waiting just outside my crossbowdwarfs' range. I also just learned that my mountainhome liason is perfectly happy exiting the map through the caverns. That's good to know.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11151 on: March 05, 2011, 03:05:14 pm »

No Iron, but more than 10K each of gold, silver and copper, and about 1400 Adadwarftine.

Just recast the aquifer plug I dropped in the first spring to be obsidian, and am carving out an awesome new surface battle and trade tower from it.
A dwarf managed to cause a 1 tile 1 Z collapse, and got thrown, apparently, straight up into the air high enough that the fall killed him.

Ohh, and during the casting, I accidentally set the surface on fire, and burned up more than 1000 logs I had cut but not hauled in yet...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:08:23 pm by Krelos »
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: March 05, 2011, 03:09:56 pm »

Well, my normal business practice backfired there. One of the elves' horses went berserk, killed their entire caravan with no injuries. I send my militia commander's squad in to deal with it. The result? One master Hammerdwarf permanently cripped, with a broken arm, two broken legs, a missing hand and multiple bruises. A novice sworddwarf was killed outright by a single kick which penetrated through masterwork steel plate, apparently. On the other hand, some new immigrants were perfect for hauling away some of the grizzly fat before it rotted. Time to cook it up. Need to find more iron to get enough bolts for the likely event of murdering the human traders.

On another note, my probe across the brook in the canyon was successful, revealing 6(!) more veins of bauxtite, at least 8 star sapphire nodes and several iron veins.

3. Run Resize Enable

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11153 on: March 05, 2011, 04:15:15 pm »

.18 LP: wow this is funny.

traders like to take swims in rivers near waterfalls, I see...

PPE: oh look some camels joined...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11154 on: March 05, 2011, 04:36:15 pm »

Found two intersecting veins of copper only a few levels below the surface. If I can find cassiterite, I'll be set in the way of of equipment.

Also, yay! Lignite! I'll probably have to trade for iron though, and god do I hate trading.

EDIT: It looks like the copper vein branches off into two seperate veins, each the same size of the main vein. I'm drowning in a goddamned sea of copper.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:46:43 pm by Stone Wera »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: March 05, 2011, 04:43:27 pm »

Okay, I've finally made the switch to ASCII. In celebration, I opened the volcano on every level of my fortress.

Time to start anew:

We have arrived at our new site, Vathezroldeth Nethgon Fer... Okay, wait. There is no way that is really the name...

Apparently my new fortress has been graced with the name *Virginanguished the Lust of Beasts*. Am I still playing DF?

Oh well, strike the earth!

3. Run Resize Enable

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: March 05, 2011, 04:51:13 pm »

One miner wielding a copper pick almost ended a siege single handed, then he decided it was a good time to sleep and got killed.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: March 05, 2011, 06:06:12 pm »

Still waiting on the goblins to notice Fightworked, and for the elk birds in Cave One to notice that there's access to the nestboxes on Level 3.

In Cave One, I'm having a team of miners and masons turn the uppermost level into a skywalk so I can explore new areas of the cave without possibly exposing myself to things at the bottom.

More dorfs have been added into the army, reducing my number of idlers. Then I sent my one high-level woodcutter out to do some deforestation, and now everybody left is hauling logs.

Might raise the pop cap soon. Might.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11158 on: March 05, 2011, 06:38:16 pm »

The fortress of Flaghail now has a thriving food industry based on crundles.  A system of bait-nestboxes and cage traps is capturing entire herds of crundles, which are then tamed and pastured in an egg production line.  Males are promptly slaughtered, their meat and fat then cooked with the eggs by the fortresses skilled chefs.  Outsiders may turn their noses up at eating crundle eggs and meat, but Flaghail's cooks insist they are a delicacy.

Food production based on Elk Birds was experimented with briefly, but Elk Birds need to graze, yet are so determined not to leave their nests that they starve.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11159 on: March 05, 2011, 08:46:11 pm »

One of my dorfs saw fit to make the local ram his pet...
He gave it the splendid name of "Mosus."
Not spelled right, yes, but...
wat.
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 3842