Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109680 times)

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11130 on: March 04, 2011, 12:24:12 pm »

My legendary Axedwarf militia commander just bled to death.  :(  She had thirtysome notable kills.  I need to figure this out.  I just picked out a shiny new uniform for her and then she bled to death.  I've also had a number of new recruits bleed to death shortly after recruiting them.  There must be some kind of FB goo in an armor stockpile.

I figured it out, I think.  It was deadly FB blood that causes bleeding on skin contact.  It looks like dwarves will undress enroute to their new uniforms (even if they're only wearing clothes).  Being barefoot and stepping in the blood caused them to rapidly bleed to death from their toes, like something from a horror movie.  Most dwarves walking through the same spot have no problems.  I suspect socks provide adequate protection.

It also killed almost every pet in the fort, but that wasn't enough to bother me to figure out what was going on.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: March 04, 2011, 12:41:17 pm »

Don't suppose you could post a list of who's still alive, and their maimery status?

I'll probably do a big dump on dwarf info and other stuff like that once I finally finish this year which hopefully should be later today.
yeah, that would help  :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: March 04, 2011, 01:10:48 pm »

My fortress draws it's defense system from that paragon of historical accuracy, 300. A series of floodgates (I'll be able to hide them once its finished, for ease of movement when not under attack) funnels the stinking goblin scum into a corridor of weapon traps. A twisted, blood-soaked hell of whirling blades, thrusting spears, and spinning corkscrews. Since it's construction, the only evidence I've found of goblin thieves has been bloody corpses.

Next, I'm going to build a pasture over the traps, storing all my carnivourous animals. Goblins will have to fight their way through every sort of hideous, automated, blood-clogged weapon, while fighting off cheetahs, jaguars, and crocodiles.

This is going to be made of badass.

EDIT: The Results Are In!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:08:16 pm by Samuel »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: March 04, 2011, 01:16:18 pm »

My fortress draws it's defense system from that paragon of historical accuracy, 300. A series of floodgates (I'll be able to hide them once its finished, for ease of movement when not under attack) funnels the stinking goblin scum into a corridor of weapon traps. A twisted, blood-soaked hell of whirling blades, thrusting spears, and spinning corkscrews. Since it's construction, the only evidence I've found of goblin thieves has been bloody corpses.

Next, I'm going to build a pasture over the traps, storing all my carnivourous animals. Goblins will have to fight their way through every sort of hideous, automated, blood-clogged weapon, while fighting off cheetahs, jaguars, and crocodiles.

This is going to be made of badass.

Don't forget a pit of endless falling and dying!

Actually, that's a good idea for the carnivorous animal storage; I've just been using them as sheepdogs for my herds. Except replace dogs with bears, cheetahs, and hippos.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: March 04, 2011, 04:37:42 pm »

Another large wave of immigrants, and several new children have forced me to expand my residential area, as I insist on providing a 3x3 room with masterwork engravings for every dorf, which takes up a bit more room than normal 2x2 or 1x4 cells, but I believe it will pay off in the long run. I'm starting to get worried about my fps a few years down the road; I capped immigration at population 100, but I already have 7 children in less than 1.5 years. Too bad you can't butcher babies like you can with kittens.

On another note, the elves of Enolulo, The Ultimate Oaks (are there elven wrestling federations now or something?) will get a 10 year reprive from unfortunate accidents, as the breeding pair of grizzlies I now have are paying off superbly: 2 (the original pair) + 4 (adult offspring) + 8 (cubs) gives me a population of 14 grizzlies 1.5 years into the fortress. My military will be well supported by the closest animal equivalent to bearded alcoholics.

Something very strange: the trapper that had her head bashed in by a drafted furnace operator after she failed a mood earlier this year is appearing on the list of creatures as an undead; Atir Amostkifed *Atir Towncruxes* Ghostly Trapper. She is standing around in the stockpile where she died, and is not scaring or reacting to my dorfs. Is this anything I need to worry about?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: March 04, 2011, 05:01:11 pm »

Yes. For your FPS. Unless she's partying. Then be scared.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: March 04, 2011, 05:16:45 pm »

If seriously, you should look here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Ghost and here http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Slab. This time you are lucky, ad the ghost isn't aggressive ^^.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: March 04, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »

Something very strange: the trapper that had her head bashed in by a drafted furnace operator after she failed a mood earlier this year is appearing on the list of creatures as an undead; Atir Amostkifed *Atir Towncruxes* Ghostly Trapper. She is standing around in the stockpile where she died, and is not scaring or reacting to my dorfs. Is this anything I need to worry about?

No, just build a memorial slab to her and she will be put to rest. Or if you don't want to waste stone, you could always call the Ghostbusters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: March 04, 2011, 05:28:16 pm »

No, just build a memorial slab to her and she will be put to rest. Or if you don't want to waste stone, you could always call the Ghostbusters.

I might prefer the latter if it involves them channeling out about a hundred z levels from under her and dropped her into the magma sea. But I'm probably going for the former. Thanks for the information!

Edit Just got a pine amulet banded with pig iron and menacing with spikes of naked mole dog leather from my woodburner. Gee, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:16:44 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: March 04, 2011, 11:03:58 pm »

Got invaded by rhesus macaques at one point, so now I have a squadron of tame monkeys stationed across the map as bait/alarm system, and a few in reserve for spelunking.
i get sieged once a year by the blasted things.
i must have 10 or 12 in cages, but i cant tame them.
am i missing something?
Yeah, edit the _EXOTIC out of their entries in the raws so you don't need a Dungeon Master.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: March 04, 2011, 11:56:03 pm »

Currently dealing with minor rebellion that I've engineered. I set the lot of the drunken 'tards to digging out their future castle near the magma sea. After getting half-way done, they start getting cranky. One of the miners turns on the head brewer, berserks and kills him and two of my four planters. After being put down, shortly after another miner has gone berserk. At this point, I commanded everyone to dump the booze, cause they weren't respecting the brewer. Long story short on that, fort is on berserk dorf #10, all of which were miners. The mayor had the longest non-berserk rapsheet of the lot from his tantrums, including 4 murders and knocking over both a still and a carpenter's workshop. The fort is on its way down and fast. Prior to the first berserker, we had a pop of 145 and post 10th berserker's death, down to 70-something.

I can't wait to see how it ends.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: March 05, 2011, 06:26:52 am »

Discovered that humans apparently now make ladles and bowls, one each of which they brought to trade.  I never noticed them before.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: March 05, 2011, 09:27:02 am »

Ugh, migrants!  I can tolerate them when they come in manageable waves.  My population just went from 17 to 36.

And, seriously, five of you are in the gem industry? What, did the guild kick you out of the mountainhome or something?

(Strange, really, since I purposely did not build a depot to keep things going more slowly.)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: March 05, 2011, 09:50:43 am »

Miracles of nature; fungusman babies! (from my tribal fungusmen civ in our caverns)
And they're friendly too. Trying to come up with a way to get them into my fort. There are six now, all the females must be pregnant. Do wild animals and other civ's members have a population cap similar to tame pets? Probably not... They'll make something of themselves I suppose, and it will probably rhyme with taste.

In this fortress I have extracted a ton of adamantine (it takes a lot of the stuff to make a ton!) and will produce weaponry to provide to my adventurers, along with letting them recruit the fungusmen and kobolds if that's possible.

Can't find a good place to make a fortress unfortunately. The ground under this lake is hollow through and through, barely a floor separating the caverns.

A basilisk has come to destroy us, but isn't pathing over the rivers or the lake separating it from us.

I feel like giving elves the grazer tag next time I generate a world...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:36:16 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: March 05, 2011, 12:10:56 pm »

"The Stray donkey has been struck down."

WHO STABBED MY ASS!?

Sad Uslotetog Obrazslakga, Basilisk.

Guardsmen to the entrance!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 3842