Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109552 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11115 on: March 03, 2011, 08:05:26 pm »

Short update:

One of my miners got possessed and made... a coal statue. With "menacing" golden spikes. I really hope that he doesn't try to carry it through a fire when all my other furniture haulers have their hauling jobs deactivated for some strange reason. On the other hand, it is engraved with a picture of a dwarf killing an elf, so it isn't all bad. At least it isn't another artifact copper coffer.

On another note: one of the three(!) milkers from the last wave of immigrants apparently jumped down a 5-deep shaft onto bronze spikes rather than take the bridge. He keeps falling unconscious. Oh, and he fell in after I walled off the pit. I really have plenty of better things for my masons to do, so he'll be hanging out down there for a while. Also, human traders brought nothing useful and were killed. I really need to find a way to start dropping them into the open top of the volcano.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11116 on: March 03, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »

One of my miners got possessed and made... a coal statue. With "menacing" golden spikes. I really hope that he doesn't try to carry it through a fire when all my other furniture haulers have their hauling jobs deactivated for some strange reason. On the other hand, it is engraved with a picture of a dwarf killing an elf, so it isn't all bad. At least it isn't another artifact copper coffer.

If he did carry it through fire it would light on fire, and because artifacts do not wear out, it would burn for all eternity. Which would mean you could put it at the top of your fortress' highest tower as an eternal flaming warning to all elves, which would pretty much make your fort the most AWESOME FORT EVER.

So there's that.

Also, just about any artifact that can actually be used is really very helpful to your fort. Put that coffer in the hospital and everybody who gets sick or brings water to the wounded will get happy thoughts up the wazoo.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11117 on: March 03, 2011, 08:14:02 pm »

If he did carry it through fire it would light on fire, and because artifacts do not wear out, it would burn for all eternity. Which would mean you could put it at the top of your fortress' highest tower as an eternal flaming warning to all elves, which would pretty much make your fort the most AWESOME FORT EVER.

I must now make a metric ass ton of charcoal and nothing else, becuase I need this to happen for the sake of awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11118 on: March 03, 2011, 08:19:12 pm »

I must now make a metric ass ton of charcoal and nothing else, becuase I need this to happen for the sake of awesome.
Point. I forgot that artifacts worked like that. Better yet, I can build it on the rim of my volcano, which is by far the highest point on the map! Even better will be if I figure out how to dump whole caravans into the volcano...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11119 on: March 03, 2011, 08:48:11 pm »

"Why did the foreman order us to make one metalcraft item, then lock us down here with hundreds of blocks of charcoal, a forge, and a food stockpile?"

"I don't know, but some of the others say that they've been here for years."

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11120 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:56 pm »

Point. I forgot that artifacts worked like that. Better yet, I can build it on the rim of my volcano, which is by far the highest point on the map! Even better will be if I figure out how to dump whole caravans into the volcano...

build the depot over the volcano
and flood the caravan with magma.

edit:damm slippery hands.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:05:08 pm by Lamphare »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11121 on: March 03, 2011, 11:13:21 pm »

For the most part, the goblin grinder of Fightworked is complete. I'll add a few more weapon traps as I find the weapons, but for now I think it's all good. The danger room's live, so everybody who goes outside the fort is getting some combat training. Got invaded by rhesus macaques at one point, so now I have a squadron of tame monkeys stationed across the map as bait/alarm system, and a few in reserve for spelunking.

Did some puttering around with DF Reveal. My first cavern is twenty levels down, the second cavern is IMMEDIATELY beneath that, and then my tetrahedrite appears for about five or six levels before the third cavern opens up. The flux the site finder turned up, marble, starts just under the third cavern... and it's spotted with cotton candy, and a mere three levels or so above the pasta sauce.

My map is about 140 z-levels. I'll be in the Big Top playing with clowns before -60. The circus is over half my map.

On the other hand, the few solid layers of rock I do get include obsidian, so until I reach the good stuff my dorfs can Aztec it up.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11122 on: March 03, 2011, 11:26:41 pm »

Thanks to the array of traps surrounding the entrance to my fortress, the walls of the small shed which gives way to the downward staircase into the fort are slowly becoming covered in blood. Dwarfy!

It's just macaque blood at the moment, but attackers won't be ale to tell that from a distance. Especially while a giant corkscrew is rearranging their internal organs.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11123 on: March 04, 2011, 12:10:46 am »

My main hall is currently sitting under 6 z levels of Obsidian, and I'm in the process of strip-mining the middle layer. Currently everything is made out of Obsidian, though the layer I'm in is Dacite... got a level of loam/sand/clay/peat towards the top with the farms, accessed from below...I've got a brook and a lot of big pools I'm going to pull down into a great underwater resevoir if I can figure out how. Anything interesting to do with Obsidian? I've got.. more than I'll ever need. Big statue maybe?

Which got me thinking, we need a... pully system. Kind of like the pumps, but then we could make elevators. Or giant statues whose foot comes down to squash baddies at the flick of a switch, and is able to raise itself back up.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11124 on: March 04, 2011, 03:21:15 am »

Got invaded by rhesus macaques at one point, so now I have a squadron of tame monkeys stationed across the map as bait/alarm system, and a few in reserve for spelunking.
i get sieged once a year by the blasted things.
i must have 10 or 12 in cages, but i cant tame them.
am i missing something?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11125 on: March 04, 2011, 04:08:03 am »

My legendary Axedwarf militia commander just bled to death.  :(  She had thirtysome notable kills.  I need to figure this out.  I just picked out a shiny new uniform for her and then she bled to death.  I've also had a number of new recruits bleed to death shortly after recruiting them.  There must be some kind of FB goo in an armor stockpile. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11126 on: March 04, 2011, 04:38:28 am »

So much blue stone... I could build a monument to appease the goddess of the lake we live next to with all of it, if I didn't need it for the militia.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11127 on: March 04, 2011, 06:09:45 am »

Was sitting pretty at 16 dorfs... just got a migraint wave of like fifteen. Well, I do need a lot of stone hauled, but still. Fish Dissector? Only good thing I got out of the entire thing was a Legendary Surgeon. New doctar ftw...wait, nobody's got hurt yet. Pre-emptiveness ftw!

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11128 on: March 04, 2011, 08:40:25 am »

A bit off topic, but I genned a new world to start a fresh fort in. As usual, I check around in legends a bit, and for the first time I find that a megabeast has been killed by one of the mortal races. An elf in this case.

An elf killed a bronze colossus in like 2 hits during world gen. I thought megabeasts could only be killed by other megabeasts during world gen?

Edit: The longest war I've seen yet is here too.... one city was pillaged 59 times in a row :/

Edit: Scratch that, like 4 towns were pillaged over 50 times in a row.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:07:58 am by Dachande »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11129 on: March 04, 2011, 09:26:57 am »

Don't suppose you could post a list of who's still alive, and their maimery status?

I'll probably do a big dump on dwarf info and other stuff like that once I finally finish this year which hopefully should be later today.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 3842