Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109594 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11100 on: March 03, 2011, 03:15:20 pm »

I just had a metalsmith create an artifact silver short sword.

That's right: an artifact weapon that's actually useful. It's probably a bug.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11101 on: March 03, 2011, 03:17:45 pm »

Aboveground fortress, the quarry had some pretty hefty iron deposits and was able to get a small iron industry going. Walled the entire thing in, with a 4-wide 2-deep moat outside that.

And then the goddamn vultures descended, it was like a frickin' plague. The killed all my war dogs, stole my food, and scared my workers half to death. After stealing the sweat of my farmer's brows the vultures departed.

Only to return two months later. Apparently they were intent on the same kind of easy harvest as before, what they did not realize is that I had kicked my iron production into overdrive. I'd been producing crossbows and bolts like mad and I'd set all of my dwarfs to carry a crossbow and 25 bolts, the new civillian uniform suprised the vultures immensely.

Not much better than having a record keeper with a crossbow plug a vulture right as it flies over the moat.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Mace

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11102 on: March 03, 2011, 04:17:40 pm »

Not much better than having a record keeper with a crossbow plug a vulture right as it flies over the moat.

hehe nice

had one of my military dwarves get drowned by a pond grabber, eventually causing a tantrum spiral, so i went from 106 dwarves to 11 :(

and then i had a goblin siege when at said 11 dwarves left :(:(

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11103 on: March 03, 2011, 04:26:32 pm »

Actually, silver doesn't hold a blade that well.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11104 on: March 03, 2011, 04:33:22 pm »

SHH HE DOESN'T KNOW THAT YET!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11105 on: March 03, 2011, 04:56:03 pm »

Well, if the dwarves slap with the flat of the blade it'll be alright, or if the fortress lasts long enough for DF to include silver weakness to werewolves/vampires/etc.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11106 on: March 03, 2011, 05:12:00 pm »

Well, if the dwarves slap with the flat of the blade it'll be alright, or if the fortress lasts long enough for DF to include silver weakness to werewolves/vampires/etc.

Well, crap. I've used silver short swords for quite some time. Like, since I began playing Dwarf Fortress.

I've gotten kills with them before though, so their not quite "adamantine warhammer" useless.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11107 on: March 03, 2011, 05:16:18 pm »

On the other hand, silver warhammers are about equal to addy axes (when used by armored humanoids)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11108 on: March 03, 2011, 05:24:47 pm »

On the other hand, silver warhammers are about equal to addy axes (when used by armored humanoids)

Thanks for the tip. It'd be handy if the Magmawiki had a chart of weapon effectiveness based on materials. Though I suppose it wouldn't be as Fun.

In other news, some !!SCIENCE!!: even being at the bottom of a lake of solid ice won't kill a creature in a cage. This is probably well known, but I was curious.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11109 on: March 03, 2011, 05:26:50 pm »

JUST BROKE MY FIRST REAL SIEGE!!!
woo hoo! they sent 2 squads of goblin archers on cave crocs, elk birds, and giant rats, along with one squad of 7 trolls.
they massacred the dwarven caravan and a couple of my fishermen before we got the gate closed and realized we were totally unprepared to fight them, what with maybe 12 soldiers, 5 of which were archers and maybe 3 of which were worth a damn.
well, we locked the place down for about 2 months while we dug new tombs, built coffins and installed cage traps.
finally opened up the gate and they came.
my soldiers got overly ambitious and charged them before they could get to the spinning blade traps.
the battle went really badly for most of us, especially the archer who dodged a bolt and fell into the dry moat. he'll never walk again.
but we slew half the trolls, caught the other half, captured most of the mount animals and killed about half the goblins, before the rest broke and ran.
also realized during the fight that my baron is a talented axedwarf. he singlehandedly killed three trolls and 6 goblins during the fight. this was AFTER taking a bolt in the mouth.
dude never even went to the hospital afterward.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11110 on: March 03, 2011, 05:45:56 pm »

Now into the first months of the second summer. Elven caravan executed for bringing 13 bins of cloth and no booze. Surprisingly, the cheesemaker I sent down into my magma plumbing to open the line managed to dash to safety. He gets a moderately nice tomb and the right to train up in a useful skill with a pickaxe I lifted from the dead elves. On another note, between managing my trade relations, digging out the pit for one of the entrance defenses and planning out how to get water up 7 z levels and across the entire map without flooding my fortress, my trapper apparently mooded and tried to craft something out of some wood and stone, but I didn't have what she wanted, so she went berserk on my workshop floor. Thankfully, a number of things combined to allow me to resolve the situation: 1. She had no training, and one of my nearby furnace operators did. 2. Apart from her, the furnace operator and a gemcrafter, the floor was largely empty, except for one rather unfortunate cat. 3. She locked onto the cat. Rather nice, for me, as it was already petted, and I was trying to figure out if I could cripple it to the extent that it couldn't get pregnant. 4. The breeding pair of grizzly bears I bought from the elves before killing them. Basically, she went after the cat, ripped its eyes out, broke its rear left leg, and then my furnace operator tore up her spine and bashed her skull in. With his bare hands. Fun times. Oh, and I hereby dub the cat with the honorary name 'Gimpy McSightless'.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: March 03, 2011, 05:50:08 pm »

Just realized something unbelievable. My fortress has lasted long enough to become a barony... with not a single dead Dwarf as of yet!  :o

The worst injury in the fort's history was when there was a small mining accident which caused nothing more than a bruised lower body.

This is amazing.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11112 on: March 03, 2011, 05:50:48 pm »

urist mcgemcutter finally succumbed to that infection that cooked his brain so much, he had an artistic epiphany.
he took a bolt in the lag during an ambush, and due to our lack of soap, he got an infection which ran rampant through his body.
as it looked darkest, he got up in a strange mood, went and got some ruby and other stuff and made a ruby statue of the one of the goblins that shot him being stuck down by our baron.
i think i'll put it in his tomb.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11113 on: March 03, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »

And why not tell him now instead of letting him equip his military in full silver armor and blades only to find out that they're only good for blunt weapons and ammo? It seems like a bit of a dick move.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11114 on: March 03, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »

He's just trying to let him have more Fun with the game.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 3842