Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109570 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11085 on: March 02, 2011, 08:15:29 pm »

So I've found an excellent embark in an area with 10-20+ high cliffs and a surface level volcano, with a massive crapload of ores, gems, etc. Native gold veins above the z-level of my wagon, etc. I'm almost into autumn, and am getting ready to tap the volcano for my magma plumbing. The only problem? The only viable way to do it is the dwarfy way: Have a miner knock out the wall seperating the magma and the tunnels, let him run like hell and hope for the best. Of course, I don't want to lose one of my legendary miners, and I'm pretty much certain that whoever does it is going to go up in a little bearded ball of flame. So who should I send?

What's this, a new group of immigrants?

What's this, a dwarf with no skills other than Cheesemaker. Time to disable mining for my miners, cheesehead is going down there. I guess karma has a way of working itself out, eh?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11086 on: March 02, 2011, 08:19:34 pm »

So I've found an excellent embark in an area with 10-20+ high cliffs and a surface level volcano, with a massive crapload of ores, gems, etc. Native gold veins above the z-level of my wagon, etc. I'm almost into autumn, and am getting ready to tap the volcano for my magma plumbing. The only problem? The only viable way to do it is the dwarfy way: Have a miner knock out the wall seperating the magma and the tunnels, let him run like hell and hope for the best. Of course, I don't want to lose one of my legendary miners, and I'm pretty much certain that whoever does it is going to go up in a little bearded ball of flame. So who should I send?

What's this, a new group of immigrants?

What's this, a dwarf with no skills other than Cheesemaker. Time to disable mining for my miners, cheesehead is going down there. I guess karma has a way of working itself out, eh?
totalitarian communist!
lulz
well dwarvf is a renewable resource

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11087 on: March 02, 2011, 09:29:19 pm »

Genned a new world today, and established Fightworked with the help of the brave dwarves of The Walled Machines. Trying something new with the entryway to see if I can make it more defensible.

Loving the site. Deep metals, flux stone, and soil. I just need to remember to run DF Prospector at some point so I can see what kinds of metals I have (Shieldgrasping has gold and a pittance of blue stuff, just enough to make tubes into... you know).

ETA: Fightworked has tetrahedrite and some blue stuff. Awesome.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:50:22 pm by proxn_punkd »

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11088 on: March 02, 2011, 10:09:52 pm »

Genned a new world today, and established Fightworked with the help of the brave dwarves of The Walled Machines. Trying something new with the entryway to see if I can make it more defensible.

Loving the site. Deep metals, flux stone, and soil. I just need to remember to run DF Prospector at some point so I can see what kinds of metals I have (Shieldgrasping has gold and a pittance of blue stuff, just enough to make tubes into... you know).

blue cotton candy is virtually everywhere.
sites with sand, clay, minimum aquifer(or not if you dont like it), three or more types of metals(2 shallow ones is better), river(if you havent mastered aquifer yet), demonic fortress, flux, kaolinite, fire clay can truly be loved.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11089 on: March 02, 2011, 10:20:19 pm »

Still playing .18 with rephikul's IM .12 (I'm so behind the times) and FD.  My first successful fortress.

Well, I had about three years of continuous sieges, which meant no trading (whatever, didn't really need it), and no migration.  Between the years 103 and 106 (3rd to 6th years of my fort), the population dropped from some 120 to 50.  A wave of migrants brought it back up to 60ish, but then a party of Nightwings got into my fort via the open-air decomposal zone while my tiny, inexperienced military (actually, the original militia commander was still around--Legendary Mace, Fighter, Armour User, and really good at everything else) was out front dealing with some stray Putrid Blendecs that got past my defences.  By the time I finally got the 5-dwarf militia back into the danger zone in the fort a dozen dwarves had died.

Multiple sieges are fine, but the pathing for Furies isn't very good, so they usually just end up moving for about 30 steps then stopping for a few seasons.  After the Nightwings were dealt with, I sent out my militia to clear out a couple dozen of the Furies, as well as a half-dozen pathing-stuck Nightwings.  Somehow, the fighting went all the way over to a murky pool, and four of the dwarves drowned in it...  (The last became a pincushion despite candy equipment.)  I rage-quit and decided to build a new, better fort, with what I've learned.

This new fort will have magma for those invaders who fall off the bridge entrance, an open-air decomposal area combined with statue garden that will have walls high enough for the flyers to be discouraged (I hope), and a better military.  No more dralthas killing a dozen dwarves.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

mszegedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11090 on: March 02, 2011, 10:24:45 pm »

Sorry, I would if I hadn't accidentally deleted the save a few minutes ago when I was clearing out a massive amount of old seasonal saves.
Serves me right for being happy about finding an amazing embark... >.>
gamelog.txt?
if you dont clean it, it could save up many entries, probably the world gen seeds are among it.

Wow, I didn't know that existed... :) Here's the seed for that world:
 Seed: 79915314
 History Seed: 1635288550
 Name Seed: 3756006844
 Creature Seed: 112973448
Small world, edited for increased # of volcanos.
I don't remember which volcano I embarked on, though. I also have the seed for another, similar world with an embark site I do remember, which has larger quantities of pretty much every ore, flux stone, as well as a surface-level volcano, if you want it.

Thank you! So much!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11091 on: March 02, 2011, 10:45:43 pm »

blue cotton candy is virtually everywhere.
sites with sand, clay, minimum aquifer(or not if you dont like it), three or more types of metals(2 shallow ones is better), river(if you havent mastered aquifer yet), demonic fortress, flux, kaolinite, fire clay can truly be loved.

Sand, clay, river and no aquifer, no fortress, technically three kinds of metal (since tetrahedrite is both copper and silver, and is probably shallower than the blue stuff), flux somewhere, and WHY THE HELL IS IT LAGGING SO BAD ;_; IT WAS WORKING FINE EARLIER.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11092 on: March 02, 2011, 11:23:06 pm »

world size has quite a impact on FPS
and aquifer really is a savior, comparing to rivers
temperature affects a lot
and because cotton candy is everywhere, it does not count as an 'embark metal'
and well i was unclear about tetrahedrite, i generally would not consider it as two types of metal, since silver is not guaranteed.
my current 7x5 site has good savage tropical forest, some aquifer layers, 5k aluminum, 20k mid-valued gems, over 120K low-valued gems, 25k native copper, 25k galena, 35k native gold(the only shallow metal), fire clay, sand, no demonic fortress. copper is quite deep so i'll have to make gold armour and ironwood weapons for early defence(genesis mod).
probably no flux, i cannot recall.
but i mainly rely on argriculture and static defence so i can just request steel or red steel once i've steady flow of prepared meal.

i consider it a good site, mediocrely challenging and fun, so for anyone who wants it
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11093 on: March 03, 2011, 02:10:45 am »

It's the 2nd year in Musicalleaves, an elven outpost of the Sizzling Beard, established by the Viper of Auras (all random names) Population is 15 with 2 in beds and one will probably recover soon. The outpost attracted nobody this spring, perharp due to its lackluster industries byt soon this will change as the caravan brought the much awaited clothes to kick start the textile industry. It didnt bring any quality equipments, however. And true to their elven nature, the shaman offered something no dwarves could imagine:
Spoiler:  by my beard!! (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11094 on: March 03, 2011, 03:28:21 am »

I have a nice fort going near a volcano and thus a cozy magma pipe. No "real" metal but lots and lots of gold, silver and copper.

Pretty much by accident I came up with a decent magma defense system: Due to style I usually carve out the z-level above important rooms like the trade depot with upwards ramps. This time I carved the ceiling out around a hallway that was already mined, so a kind of protruding ledge above the depot remained. Just wide enough to channel magma through it, you see... Now I'm linking up the obsidian hatch covers to test my creation. Ha!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11095 on: March 03, 2011, 05:26:14 am »

God damned unicorns. It's a freaking elf fort damn it, shoo shoo. War animals can be replaced, albeit a bit painful> However, recovering the drowned plant gatherer is going to be a pain in the ***. Still I have to do it, as elves cant make slabs and ghosts are not something I want to toy around with.

EDIT:
3rd spring in Musicalleaves. A vile force of war tigermen came and delivered much sorrow, right at the same time as a bunches of cursed buzzards. Death and hunger stroke at the same time and by 7th of Slate, a sad decision has been reached: All male mandrill children shall be butchered to feed the rest of the animals. Shortly after, a shrine was quietly constructed next to the graveyard with a stray mandrill child skull as its centerpiece.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:48:29 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11096 on: March 03, 2011, 01:48:49 pm »

Part 68 of my LP is up.

You'd think someone standing on a bridge would prevent a dwarf from removing it.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11097 on: March 03, 2011, 02:07:54 pm »

You'd think someone standing on a bridge would prevent a dwarf from removing it.

Why would we think that?

If anything, the little bastard probably worked harder to drop it before they moved off.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11098 on: March 03, 2011, 02:30:35 pm »

Part 68 of my LP is up.

Hah, I died as a soldier! Expected no less!  :D
... what I didn't expect was to die in an act of goblin/dwarf diplomacy. Must have made funny faces at the axeman.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11099 on: March 03, 2011, 02:50:17 pm »

Don't suppose you could post a list of who's still alive, and their maimery status?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 3842