Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109291 times)

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11055 on: March 01, 2011, 03:10:56 pm »

I decided to tackle the hassle of aquifer management and embarked on a volcanic island. Any tips for filtering salt water? Besides making copious amounts of booze, of course.
I've heard rumours that wells can magically purify salt water (but this is possibly a bug). And another rumour that salt-water becomes clean water when it passes through a pump. I have never tested either though.

Edit: in fact, the answers are here. First link. http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=dwarf+fortress+salt+water
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:12:56 pm by Urist McBusDriver »
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11056 on: March 01, 2011, 03:33:01 pm »

Alright, so because I'm a lazy idiot I didn't link a bunch of updates here.

Here's the short version; I'm an idiot and I get more dwarves killed. Also the dwarven law system is fucking terrible.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: March 01, 2011, 04:38:28 pm »

Just had my gemcrafter throw together another useless artifact. Thusfar the only decent one has been the adamantine battleaxe. This site is getting dull, and I've pushed off the last few attacks without injury. So I moved all my food, armor, weapons and ammo into my army training complex on the top level of the fort, drafted my entire population except for the nobles, destroyed the farms, and collapsed 6 levels of my fortress onto the nobles heads, before murdering the human diplomat and trade caravan. This is now a test to see how long my dwarves can last before falling to enemy attack, starvation, dehydration or lowered fps due to wardogsplosion.

Edit: Took on a large siege with squads armed with training weapons. Things went as expected, although this gem showed up:
The Gem Setter grabs the Dwarven Baby by the upper right back tooth with her right lower arm!
The Gem Setter punches the Dwarven Baby in the left lower arm with her left hand, bruising the muscle!
The Gem Setter punches the Dwarven Baby in the right upper leg with her left hand, bruising the fat!

Dwarven child rearing at its finest?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:10:32 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: March 01, 2011, 04:59:25 pm »

First fey mood was possessed and got us a gold warhammer, Kejemudi the Fair Boulders. Now we got our second fey mood, which wasn't a possession, and got Nihdecuruk, Dalefear a platinum short sword. Unsure how good platinum is for a sword but hey, not complaining. Both rather boring artifacts though.

Gold makes very heavy, very deadly warhammer. You got lucky.

However, I don't think platinum does well for blades. I could be mistaken, neither are used for weapons, so who knows? Probably a peice of junk, though.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: March 01, 2011, 05:24:14 pm »

I decided to tackle the hassle of aquifer management and embarked on a volcanic island. Any tips for filtering salt water? Besides making copious amounts of booze, of course.
I've heard rumours that wells can magically purify salt water
Last I'd heard, dorfs still complain about drinking salt water. Also, I've never tried a pump system but I guess we'll see how it goes.

I decided to channel down the side of a volcano so I could have an awesome cliffside fortress. All three of my miners inexplicably came down with a case of broken limbs.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: March 01, 2011, 07:04:44 pm »

Culled my turkey gobblers as soon as they arrived, keeping two that were "gigantic and incredibly muscular". Today I did the first turkey hen cull. New turkey hens immediately showed up. One ran into my hunter before the cage traps, so I had her released to be butchered-- and in the meantime she shat at least a dozen eggs into two different nestboxes. Once they're all tamed and settled in, I'll have to do ANOTHER cull.

I'm enabling cooking on everybody that doesn't have a job, building kitchens and food storage as fast as I can, and I still can't keep up with all the damn eggs.

SO MANY EGGS

On the good side, someone's pet goose decided she wanted to spend the rest of her life in the hen house, too. ... and I should probably look into what all needs to be killed/neutered in the pastures. Somebody brought a pet cavy boar, so I'll have to get rid of the cavy sow. D:

Also, a jeweler/fisherdorf had a mood and gave me a perfectly-cut smoky quartz. Yey.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:06:53 pm by proxn_punkd »

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11061 on: March 01, 2011, 08:15:52 pm »

KILLER TURKEYS
job cancellations caused by many pigeons, for like two in-game weeks.
and tigermen herd attack

then i found out if my beekeeper is interrupted during intalling hive from colony, it would just stand at one place, probably where it was being interrupted.
i didnt take much care on him cuz i was busy walling off my entrance and pasture land.
then he died dehydration.

rolling back save....

Kellaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:30 pm »

Finally figured out how to make a pit and throw goblins into it! Currently experimenting with more ways to get rid of them :)
Also I just saw a dwarf sleeping on a bed next to a bed with somebodys hand in it.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11063 on: March 01, 2011, 09:28:03 pm »

Finally figured out how to make a pit and throw goblins into it! Currently experimenting with more ways to get rid of them :)

50 level high/deep temple tower pit, throw them at the top with a safe desigh...i suppose there are some ones in the forum i've read about...just find them now.
and make the bottom inside you main dining hall, probably surrounded with glass window...so you get bonus from dwarves seeing way to many deaths, thusly gaining 'doesnot care anymore' trait for many, potentially stop tantrum spiral.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:15 pm »

and make the bottom inside you main dining hall, probably surrounded with glass window...so you get bonus from dwarves seeing way to many deaths, thusly gaining 'doesnot care anymore' trait for many, potentially stop tantrum spiral.

Dwarf Fortress, where you too can engineer shell shock for fun and profit!
Soaplent green is goblins!

Kellaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: March 01, 2011, 09:42:52 pm »

50 level high/deep temple tower pit, throw them at the top with a safe desigh...i suppose there are some ones in the forum i've read about...just find them now.

What an excellent suggestion! When my fort gets on a bit I'll try that. Currently throwing camels and mules down at them is entertaining enough.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: March 01, 2011, 09:47:08 pm »

What an excellent suggestion! When my fort gets on a bit I'll try that. Currently throwing camels and mules down at them is entertaining enough.

So will I, dropping prisoners from hundreds of feet just to make sure the citizens of my subterrainian fortress won't care when their friends die horribly is a fantastic and totally ethical idea!

It's a bad thing that wasn't irony, isn't it?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11067 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:07 pm »

When I was doing the initial surveying of my fortress to make sure the main shaft didn't intersect any caverns, I ended up digging a couple trails from the surface to the caverns themselves. I never got around to sealing those paths off.

A bunch of naked mole dogs came up and started getting everywhere. The farms, the booze, the bedrooms, the pastures... everywhere. I sent my military out to drive them out.

While that was going on, a Molemarian comes up from underground and starts chasing around a fishery worker. "Oh teh noes!" I thought, and dispatched my military from across the map to save the clumsy fool. The fishery worker was indeed rather clumsy, and the Molemarian kept catching up to him, biting and scratching at him. The following is the five messages that ended that combat.

The Molemarian attacks the fishery worker but he jumps away!
    The Molemarian misses the fishery worker!
    The fishery worker counterstrikes!
    The fishery worker grabs the Molemarian by the right rear leg with his left lower arm!
    The fishery worker kicks the Molemarian in the head with his right foot, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!

I found a new militia captain!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: March 02, 2011, 12:25:14 am »

Ducks, ducks, everywhere ducks. Endless waves of ducks!

Ducks and rhesus macaques are teaming up to destroy my new fortress. Who needs goblins when you've got hordes of goddamn ducks zeroing in on you, bent on destruction. Ready yourselves... The quack of doom approaches.

Sweet honking baboons. Not the ducks, OH GOD NOT THE DUCKS!!

Don't you have dogs? Or at least a small amount of marksdwarves? Traps are pretty easy to make, too. That, or a door.

I killed the ducks using sheer dwarfpower. Now, if only I could do something about all these dwarves who are so miserable and tantrumy. All just because their best friend drowned in a pond, after dodging the deadly beak of a dastardly deranged duck.

gingercake725

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: March 02, 2011, 12:43:16 am »

I just had a butcher and another dwarf fighting over a water buffalo bull... The dwarf was trying to haul it so that he can butcher it while the other dwarf was trying to haul it back to its pasture. They'd been hauling it back and forth so long that they were both about to die of starvation and dehydration.
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 3842