Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109379 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11040 on: February 28, 2011, 08:23:27 pm »

Summertime and the going is eas-

- Ast Etaralath, Weaver, has been taken by a fey mood! -

Awesome, about time Shieldgrasping got a mood, especially since the population explosion these past two seas-

- Ast Etaralath, Weaver, has claimed a Clothier's Shop! -

Great, let's see what you need.

- Ast Etaralath, Weaver, screams "I must have cut gems!" -

Well, I did get a gem cutter in that last immigration wave, and I do have these lumps of smoky quartz lying ar-

- Ast Etaralath, Weaver, screams "I must have silk cloth!" -

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Dig, little miners! Dig! Dig like your lives depend on finding that cave! THEY DO.

- You have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground. -

YES! Go forth, other weavers, and get my moody one that sil-

- Ast Etaralath, Weaver, cancels Strange Mood: Went insane. -

- Ast Etaralath, Weaver, has gone berserk! -

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11041 on: February 28, 2011, 09:18:43 pm »

Blah.. The great fort of Puzzlesmith is being torn down by the ravages of a tantrum spiral.  I guess I kept the caravan locked in for too long (but with fire spitting monsters just outside the gate what choice did I have?) and they lost their composure.. They locked in and killed multiple children and babies before I could put them down.  That mixed with all the deaths from the initial Hellfire Imp attack is causing many of my dwarves, including unfortunately several of my military members, to lose control and are attacking each other (and the military members are pretty good at it these days).

I may be able to bring it under control but it's going to take a major bite out of my fort.

ETA: Heh, irony is the "The diplomat left unhappy" message that just came up.

ETA2: More irony, the tantrum spiral is certainly going to doom the fort, and a statue that shows the founding of Puzzlesmith is spattered with absurd amounts of blood.

-MB
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:26:09 pm by Mickey Blue »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11042 on: February 28, 2011, 10:43:41 pm »

An ambush! Curse them!
*unpause*
An ambush! Curse them!
*unpause*
An ambush! Curse them!
*unpause*
An ambush! Curse them!
*unpause*
An ambush! Curse them!
*unpause*
An ambush! Curse them!
*unpause*

This is the first time I've ever seen this many ambushes at once. But that's not the weird part. I was all set up to let the goblins wander into my disc traps but that never happened. Instead, the goblins all decided to attack each other and before I could even look at the combat report they retreated. There's a handful of goblin corpses along the map edges and one that's too wounded to move. Damnedest thing I ever saw.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11043 on: February 28, 2011, 10:49:23 pm »

TWO fey Bowyers.

The first one made a palm blowgun.

The second one made a palm crossbow.

Both of them are valued at less than 10k dorfbucks, and now I have 2 legendary Bowyer in a fortress with a single marksdwarf. The RNG has not been kind to Ectocoal.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11044 on: February 28, 2011, 10:55:06 pm »

Ducks, ducks, everywhere ducks. Endless waves of ducks!

Ducks and rhesus macaques are teaming up to destroy my new fortress. Who needs goblins when you've got hordes of goddamn ducks zeroing in on you, bent on destruction. Ready yourselves... The quack of doom approaches.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11045 on: February 28, 2011, 10:59:20 pm »

Ducks, ducks, everywhere ducks. Endless waves of ducks!

Ducks and rhesus macaques are teaming up to destroy my new fortress. Who needs goblins when you've got hordes of goddamn ducks zeroing in on you, bent on destruction. Ready yourselves... The quack of doom approaches.

Sweet honking baboons. Not the ducks, OH GOD NOT THE DUCKS!!

Don't you have dogs? Or at least a small amount of marksdwarves? Traps are pretty easy to make, too. That, or a door.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11046 on: February 28, 2011, 11:31:39 pm »

Minotaur attack!!? Nooo! The walls aren't finished, the military is barely trained...

YES! Urist McHammerdwarf headshot the bastard! Still, a wakeup boss is a wakeup boss- time to get serious about these walls.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11047 on: February 28, 2011, 11:34:38 pm »

YES! Urist McHammerdwarf headshot the bastard!

I'd say that guy earned himself a tomb, wouldn't you?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11048 on: February 28, 2011, 11:52:15 pm »

YES! Urist McHammerdwarf headshot the bastard!

I'd say that guy earned himself a tomb, wouldn't you?

Indeed- I'm actually contemplating a hall of megabeasts, full of memorial slabs to the beast, any dwarves it killed, and any dwarf that killed it, along with appropriate statues. I think what I'll do is have a hall of heroes on the other side.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11049 on: March 01, 2011, 12:51:10 am »

the goblins ambushed while i was working on the roof of the above ground structure and had about 9 masons up there buliding away. the goblins rained arrows on them for a good while, killing 2, and wounding another, my gem cutter.
well, i dont have any soap at the moment, so urist mcgemcutter got an infection in his leg, which spread throughout his body and is slowly killing him.
then he gets a strange mood and goes and makes a ruby statue of the goblin that shot him being slain by one of my axedwarves.
he then hobbled back to the hospital and is still there, waiting to die.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11050 on: March 01, 2011, 09:34:03 am »

Just got a goblin ambush for almost the first time in several years of casually messing with DF. They all marched into a line of cage traps and got promptly transported to what will eventually be my barracks, but at the time was the most convenient space to store a dozen caged gobbos. Then I realised the room was directly above my garbage pit. Stripped the victims of their goblinite, dug a channel, declared it a pit, and chucked them all down the chute.

Did you know, if a live goblin falls fifteen-odd Z-levels, they explode on impact?

This caused a problem because the pit is 1x1 with an adjacent stairway. A couple of limbs bounced back up the shaft and got stuck on the stairs halfway up, where they generated miasma that reached the main hallway...

I haven't worked out yet if I can use goblin bones for crafts and crossbow bolts...
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11051 on: March 01, 2011, 11:37:45 am »

Orcs riding giant olms.  I expected the leaders to end up drowning in the river as per usual and the rest to mill around there for a bit and go home.

That didn't happen.  They apperantly learned from last time that happened and the orc siege are actually making an attack through my plumbing.  Fortunately the trader guards saw it coming and kept them busy at the courtyard long enough for my military to reposition there.

I have some grates to install.

P.S. The crossbow orcs are now using the decorative pool in the courtyard as a safe position to wreak havoc.  The melee military can't get to them because it requires traveling through several tiles of water, yet they won't back off and retreat either.  To top it off the orcs aren't drowning because the water there is only 6/7 deep.  My own crossbow squad was slaughtered by the more numerous orcs. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:54:28 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11052 on: March 01, 2011, 11:46:02 am »

Just got a goblin ambush for almost the first time in several years of casually messing with DF. They all marched into a line of cage traps and got promptly transported to what will eventually be my barracks, but at the time was the most convenient space to store a dozen caged gobbos. Then I realised the room was directly above my garbage pit. Stripped the victims of their goblinite, dug a channel, declared it a pit, and chucked them all down the chute.

Did you know, if a live goblin falls fifteen-odd Z-levels, they explode on impact?

This caused a problem because the pit is 1x1 with an adjacent stairway. A couple of limbs bounced back up the shaft and got stuck on the stairs halfway up, where they generated miasma that reached the main hallway...

I haven't worked out yet if I can use goblin bones for crafts and crossbow bolts...

You can use their  bones, but you cannot slaughter their bodies/skeleton into bones (and meat/skin). That is why dropping them for high zlevels is the most reliable way to create goblin bone toys without modding.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11053 on: March 01, 2011, 01:14:03 pm »

Well we just survived a centaur siege, though one died of thirst because I guess telling them to use the drinking zone means they'll ONLY drink from that. So I kept getting spammed by canceled Drink messages due to being near the centaurs.

First fey mood was possessed and got us a gold warhammer, Kejemudi the Fair Boulders. Now we got our second fey mood, which wasn't a possession, and got Nihdecuruk, Dalefear a platinum short sword. Unsure how good platinum is for a sword but hey, not complaining. Both rather boring artifacts though.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11054 on: March 01, 2011, 03:05:32 pm »

I decided to tackle the hassle of aquifer management and embarked on a volcanic island. Any tips for filtering salt water? Besides making copious amounts of booze, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 3842