Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109203 times)

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11025 on: February 28, 2011, 12:05:57 am »

Started a new .19 fortress, it's been very strange. My civilization doesn't have plump helmets, pig tails, or sweet pods, so I only have one underground crop I can brew. I've run out of booze, and dwarves are getting upset. On the upside, I have a lot of cheese.

Sounds like you genned a world without cave systems, so underground crops don't exist.

No, I have the other underground crops and some trees. It may be because I only have one or two cavern layers. Not much has changed, other than utilizing the above ground crops to brew booze to save the day. Just finished trading for flimsy wooden weapons (since I forgot to bring a metal one with me).

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11026 on: February 28, 2011, 12:22:01 am »

A few seasons ago, I found a particular blood trail after dfcleaning the place out that belonged to no dwarf in the fortress I could find, through searching manually and looking at the dwarf list with the "u" command. I've noticed then that this particular character has a habit of leaving stains right after dfclean usually in a trail like manner as if the entity was bleeding. Dakost Admiredboard the blood belongs to, although I'm not sure if that's the full name since it cuts away from it.
Seeing as this was at an ever increasing rate, I decided to look again for the culprit and see what this character was bleeding out from exactly. I checked all the adult dwarfs, child dwarfs, baby dwarfs, and even the pets. Nothing. This was when I hypothesized that Dakost died sometime during my most resent search for him/her, seeing as I had baths set up everywhere there was no way that Dakost could have left these trails of blood all over the place without being alive. I checked the coffins, again nothing. Slabs, nothing, I checked the characters I could engrave onto slabs, and after an exhaustive search came up with similar results.
It is quite clear that this Dakost has never existed. Not only as a part of my dwarves, but he wasn't even part of the besiegers as well. Yet, for some reason, this entity without a body and cannot be found physically is leaving blood trails all over the fortress.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the first real haunting in DF.

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11027 on: February 28, 2011, 12:26:49 am »

Ordered a few statues to place around my central staircase. 4 out of 5 have elves on them. Elf striking down named hungry head, elf striking down boogeyman, elf getting killed by something or other...  :P

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11028 on: February 28, 2011, 12:30:34 am »

I am now activally mining adamantine. The reason for this is that the only other metals I have consistant access to are Lead and Silver (Large amounts of Galena).

BRING ON THOSE PANSY DEMONS!!! P.S. Last check I had 42 dwarves and 162FPS. I should be alright with breaching hell, right?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Talikmon

• Bay Watcher
  • Surprise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11029 on: February 28, 2011, 01:44:59 am »

I caught myself a hydra - going to plonk it at the bottom of some danky pit for goblin/elf fun later on.  I've got it in for the elves in this game - I desperately needed some trade with them in my third year only to trade a barrel by accident.  They will suffer. 

The hydra had an awesome fight with a human maceman.  As to be expected the Hydra kicked most of their asses.  Then, the last human, Ile the Mace Man rushed after the hydra to save the last trader.  They battled for quite a few minutes, the human managing to damage every surface appendage into the red as well as internal damage to the yellow.  The mace man eventually tired and the hydra began healing.  Losing his entire left leg he tried to limp away.  This continued for a few more minutes before he was finally struck down.  Ile the Mace man will have songs sung in his name. 

I think as a sort of pay-back I'll pump tiny bits of water onto his head just to annoy him. 

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11030 on: February 28, 2011, 04:14:33 am »

I have a lamb named Zaneg Zasitsarek "Zaneg Knifeechoes" that came with a migraint.. "He is gigantic with incredible muscles."

Tessien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11031 on: February 28, 2011, 04:29:15 am »

Was running a mass dumping of stone to clear out storage space, when I got hit by a lasher ambush squad. Bits of legendary farmers, and assorted useful dwarves everywhere. My two squad military rushed out weaponless to try wrestle the lashers (Hadn't made any armor or weapons yet).

I'm now dealing with a tantrum spiral, as the only 3 surviving military members went insane shortly after this horrific event.

Talikmon

• Bay Watcher
  • Surprise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11032 on: February 28, 2011, 06:56:19 am »

Was running a mass dumping of stone to clear out storage space, when I got hit by a lasher ambush squad. Bits of legendary farmers, and assorted useful dwarves everywhere. My two squad military rushed out weaponless to try wrestle the lashers (Hadn't made any armor or weapons yet).

I'm now dealing with a tantrum spiral, as the only 3 surviving military members went insane shortly after this horrific event.

So many babies and adult dwarfs died to a giant slug that the ensuing tantrum spiral took my remaining population down from 110 to 2.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11033 on: February 28, 2011, 07:34:01 am »

After the recent destruction of my last fortress involving the completely accidental  ;) release of a dragon in the main dining hall, earth has been broken at a new site. My carpenter/mason has had surprisingly large amounts of work, considering that I embarked without a woodcutter. Currently having issues with my miners, who seem to think that extra storage space takes priority over the plumbing for my first farm cave. May have to solve this with accidental drowning.

Update 1: Farm has been completed, as has the main dining hall and the storage/crafting levels. Currently hollowing out an area which will serve as food storage. Happily, I am digging in only claystone and kaolinite, with rich veins of coal and limonite, so I don't have to worry about scrolling through long lists of materials when I get around to putting up exterior walls. Currently have enough 2x2 apartments to house around 40 dorfs, twice my population. Need to work on more before the immigrants arrive. The drowning chamber in the trade depot is ready and waiting for the hippy caravan which should be along any time now.
subedit: How did I guess? About 30 seconds after posting, I get 21 immigrants. Fortunately, most have useful skills. No cheesemakeres in this lot!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:46:46 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11034 on: February 28, 2011, 04:48:21 pm »

I think as a sort of pay-back I'll pump tiny bits of water onto his head just to annoy him.

Chinese water torture, eh? I'd opt for Dwarven magma torture myself, but each to his own, I suppose.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11035 on: February 28, 2011, 05:32:13 pm »

I am loving the new site finder. After the inevitable fall of Standardelbows, I set out to a new land, and what a land it is! Hot, but with thick grass for my herds. Clay soil, with a cliff to the west. Absolutely studded throughout the cliff are tourmalines, and veins of tetrahedrite and limonite. Digging down I repeatedly hit veins of tetrahedrite and galena, and breaching the cavern resulted in mineral message spam reminiscent of .18.

Ectocoal, strike the earth!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11036 on: February 28, 2011, 05:44:34 pm »

My choice to dig a shaft to HFS metal turned out well, as my weaponsmith has just turned out the artifact Akilrakas Soulcleanses the Pointy Strangers, an adamantine battleaxe worth 1,584,000 dwarfbucks, which is also studded with adamantine. I'm feeling moderately pleased, as this will go well with one of my champions-in-training. Although it was a possession, I'm not too bothered. Currently destroying stone and waiting for the other shoe to drop, likely in the form of something particularly Fun.

On another note, the excavation of the noble chambers have begun, the exterior walls are starting to rise, and my third farm is running well with the addition of a fourth farmer in the last immigration wave. Gobbos murderized the elves as they entered my fort, and were killed after the last elf bled out. The timing was purely coincidental.

Edit: Excessive digging has begun to sap my fps. All haulers have been redirected to funnel stone into my atom smasher, and the population has been capped at 60. Saving a small amount of stone for blockmaking, although my masons have been too busy to actually build any walls.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:21:08 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11037 on: February 28, 2011, 06:56:30 pm »

Well I drove off the two tigermen squads (they made the mistake of getting too near my walls), there are still two squads of frogmen and three squads of stranglers (which are weak but there are like forty of them, plus the froggies..) just showed up.

Still trapped behind our own walls.

-MB

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11038 on: February 28, 2011, 07:26:03 pm »

I'm trying to figure out just what the rhesus macaques are going to do with the limestone and bauxite blocks they stole from my outdoor stockpile...

The next time they showed up I trapped five of them and killed the sixth.

I think I was more amused that the kobold thief couldn't even get close to anything because the macaques were running around.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11039 on: February 28, 2011, 08:05:00 pm »

Late Autumn in 253 and the Dwarves of Puzzlesmith are salty..

Created Wealth: 650K
Population: 77

We managed to outlast the horde that was at our gates.  We forced the Tigermen to retreat, outlasted the Frogmen and then stood strong against an army of stranglers that outnumbered us at least two or three to one and came out victorious!

Now we can resume gathering supplies and improving our fort.  Our external walls are well established with archery posts built.  We have strong food stores (in fact we have too many animals, slaughtering some just to slaughter), plenty of iron and have even started creating steel!  We created an arena for some enemies that were caught in our animal traps (I don't use a trap system (by which I mean a huge amount of traps around my entrance), instead I have traps randomly placed around the outside) so we can punish them, one is the general of one of the invading armies.

We are proceeding to engrave the walls of our fortress with our deeds.

Long live Puzzlesmith!

ETA: No sooner did I type this that two groups of Tigermen, three goblin ambushes and an ambush of hellfire imps showed up.  About six or seven dwarves were killed (a few workers out gathering supplies and a few soldiers responding to the goblins which arrived first).  We were able to get the gates closed with a caravan of all things inside (hopefully we can deal wtih the situation before they go mad..), major chunks of my land are burned down outside but for now we are safe.

-MB
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:24:27 pm by Mickey Blue »
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 3842