Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109093 times)

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10995 on: February 27, 2011, 06:33:47 am »

What program do you use to get a view like that? I thought all the fortress visualizers besides Stonesense were only for outdated releases.

I'm finishing the project in 31.18, and I believe Overseer (the 3D visualizer) has been the only one of its kind to work with 2010 (?). I haven't tested it but I think there's a 31.19 memory.xml you can try out to keep it working.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10996 on: February 27, 2011, 08:13:45 am »

My Bowyer gets possessed and I get very excited as he grabs two logs a bunch of gems and some metal bars.

I early await a new artifact crossbow...

He makes a freakin' normal bow.

I am going to kill this little bastard.

Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10997 on: February 27, 2011, 08:35:00 am »

Drunkenunion's military has slain it's first megabeast, an ettin, with no casualties.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10998 on: February 27, 2011, 08:42:59 am »

My Bowyer gets possessed and I get very excited as he grabs two logs a bunch of gems and some metal bars.

Why not give the bow to a bowdwarf?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10999 on: February 27, 2011, 08:51:45 am »

Why not give the bow to a bowdwarf?
Because bows require arrows, and arrows aren't normally made by dorfs?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #11000 on: February 27, 2011, 08:53:48 am »

You could decently supply a single bowdwarf through just caravans, though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11001 on: February 27, 2011, 12:21:01 pm »

The danger room and live action training room have been completed, as have the hospital and new barracks. Currently, my marksdwarves are repeatedly equipping themselves, dropping their equipment all over the fortress, and going back to pick up more, for no apparent reason. A new wave of 20 immigrants has arrived this spring, and I sense an upcoming draft, as soon as they have finished cleaning up the debris from the last goblin attack, although my hopes for that are somewhat diminished, as the year-old blood and corpses are still scattered around my main entrance. One of the craftdwarves was possessed recently, and is demanding raw green glass. As I don't have a glassblowing industry, and the next caravan is months away, I've taken the precaution of walling him in. The cyclops that was captured last autumn is still caged and waiting for my axedwarves, as soon as they've finished stripping themselves and disobeying orders.

Edit 1: Just had a rather strange large ambush. 4 groups showed up at the same time, each one a group of gobbos lead by a human. As soon as I unpaused after giving the deployment order, the gobbos turned on the humans, who promptly slaughtered them In the end, the last two goblin archers fled the map while a goblin swordsman bled out. Free junk to melt, though, so all is well.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:20:59 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #11002 on: February 27, 2011, 12:44:56 pm »

so... there is a goblin swordman trapped in the pit in front of my fort entrance, trying to kill my last surviving soldier (but failing because of his armor). Dwarves are all outside because of the typical post-ambush "socks run"... and when they try to enter they run away from the goblin. I am out of weapons and every dwarf who attempts to kill the goblin wins a place in a coffin.

I say this everytime, and now i'm even more sure of it: this game hates me!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11003 on: February 27, 2011, 01:58:18 pm »

Heroically fought off a huge group of dark stranglers (Fort Defense II) with my military when we weren't able to shut the gates in time, killed them all with no casualties by a mix of strategy, luck, and of course dwarfiness (aka, more luck).  Unfortunately I must have missed the group of frogmen that arrived during the fray and when I opened the gates to do cleanup they got in and killed four or five of my civilians before I was able to react.  I haven't sorted through the dead yet but I don't *think* that they got anybody extremely important, mostly workers and such (given that they were up there hauling dead stranglers around), still, an unfortunate mistake that could have been easily avoided.

That said this fort (Puzzlesmith) is among my best in terms of function.  I have an excellent set of workers that are able to get whatever I order done finished very quickly, I have a pretty functional military for year three (without using exploits like danger rooms and such and also not using traps*).  They are mostly outfitted in iron but I'm working up to steel (there is a serious wood shortage that is slowing me down).

As luck would also have it I found a huge amount of iron (but no other metal unfortunately..) which is nice for 31.19 (aka "metal ore hard mode"). 

Finally due to the aquifer I have endless water, honestly the best day in DF for me was the day I decided to just sit down and work at aquifers until I could get through them reliably and quickly (though I still suck at getting through more then one in a row).

-MB

*I have a couple of cage traps placed at random around to catch the occasional beast for food.  Every now and again they snare an invader, but they are not set up as a serious defense.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:39:50 pm by Mickey Blue »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11004 on: February 27, 2011, 03:59:54 pm »

Migrants!
And they spawned immediately adjacent to an incoming flock of zombie peafowl!
Fun! :D
The zombies are too slow to even swat at them before they've run off.

In other news, I captured a basilisk megabeast. I should hurry up and update the dragon-kin files to the new eggs-for-reptiles thing, but that will have to wait for global regeneration. It's a fairly worthless megabeast since it is organic, and has no fire-breathing capacity or impressive attributes. I intend to give it paralyzing venom, maybe even that it can spray like a cobra, to compensate.

The migrants brought a family of four, and the last one in of those four, a one-year old girl named Domas, was the first of the migrants to be attacked. One of the peacocks bit her in the left upper leg, bruising the skin, so she turned around and toppled it, and punch IT in the left upper leg, bruising the skin.
"How YOU like it meany-head?! >:["
Naming her Justice, she'll be the sheriff and a militia member/captain of the guard, in 12 years.

The next migrant, a High Master soap maker named Deler, came in and punched one of the other peacocks, barely bruising the muscle. She'll be Jealousy, and continue to be a worthless piece of shit, if she doesn't survive in the military.
The second migrant after justice came in and punched that same peacock as Jealousy, smashing in it's head and destroying it. He'll be Mimicry.

Gonna have to keep an eye on this child; she might start a food fight in the dining hall and end up killing the entire fortress in the chaos.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:33:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11005 on: February 27, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »

Playing Genesis with my Koakumas modded in as the playable race. Had a cool group, The Diamond Tome, in the fortress of Diamondlabor. Was making a pretty good 'town' aboveground, and working on some underground rooms due to lack of wood and... well, making rooms above ground is a pain. Anyway.

Then my first ever siege happened, I closed the bridge but saw some Koas got stuck outside so I tried to lower it to let them in. They instead fled from the centaurs, more Koas ran out, I sealed up and then tried to let them get back in. Centaurs seized the moment and charged inside.

It didn't take long before all my Koakumas died on a speartip. I learned a valuable lesson. I shouldn't have lowered that bridge dangit. Oh and Centaurs are a lot stronger then goblins. 45 Koakumas managed to strangle one Centaur to death. I had an unarmed, and unskilled mob of 10 take down an entire goblin ambush squad before without suffering any real damage.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11006 on: February 27, 2011, 04:24:56 pm »

I have just successfully completed my first ever indoor waterfall, flowing right through the meeting hall. That'll keep the little bastards in a good mood. Incidentally, thanks to a slight accident in it's construction, I already know it's able to prevent tantrum spirals due to dwarf deaths.

I do feel bad about that. He'll get a proper burial once I figure out how to fish him out of river.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11007 on: February 27, 2011, 04:33:31 pm »

Well we are all pinned in, three sieges arrived at the same time (two frogmen groups, one tigermen), the frogmen brought a group of war jaguars with them and everyone is riding some form of war animal.. Overall the invaders outnumber my military about two or three to one on their own, even moreso once you take their mounts into account.

I was able to get my gates shut and they don't seem to have any building destroyers so they cannot get through (have three floodgates forming my gate), I have more then enough supplies to ride out their invasion as long as I need to, but I'd prefer to get out to harvest some more wood and to get supplies when the caravan arrives.

Lost two good dwarves to the invasions, they were unable to outrun the beasts, one was a member of my military who was outside bringing in some wood, the other was my second to last trained farmer (they have had the unfortunate bad luck of getting killed in assaults somehow..).  Had to draft some random workers in to keep my food supplies moving along (though again, supplies are not a problem at all right now).

Trying to pick off as many as I can from my walls with my archers but some groups are just too far away to hit so I'll have to either wait until they give up and leave or open the gates and hope for the best.

-MB

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11008 on: February 27, 2011, 04:40:05 pm »

I have just successfully completed my first ever indoor waterfall, flowing right through the meeting hall. That'll keep the little bastards in a good mood. Incidentally, thanks to a slight accident in it's construction, I already know it's able to prevent tantrum spirals due to dwarf deaths.

I do feel bad about that. He'll get a proper burial once I figure out how to fish him out of river.

Congrats on the waterfall! I remember when I set out to be able to build one of those (I can do so fairly reliably these days), ultimately gave up on them because at this state I don't have much issue with keeping dwarves happy and they are FPS killers.. That said it may be smart to have one set up and turn it off except when you need it (tantruming dwarves, etc).

-MB

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11009 on: February 27, 2011, 04:50:11 pm »

You could also make a Grand Mister machine if you aren't worried about powering it/the FPS drop;
Essentially a circle(or any path that ends on the same channel tile it began and all pumps are going the same way.) of pumps on the level above a meeting area, put 7/7 water into it, even 1/7 at a time, and turn on the pumps. It will carry the water around the loop and spread mist around under the channels in the ceiling between pumps. The water shouldn't evaporate indoors.

the smallest is a loop of 4.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 3842