Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109142 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10980 on: February 26, 2011, 06:05:52 pm »

Just finished my 106 level pumpstack. Muwahaha, now goblins will feel my !!wrath!!! By the way do not reduce amount of z levels above the ground or you'll get magma sea really deep.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: February 26, 2011, 08:56:14 pm »

Rhesus macaques keep stealing all of my bees! I'm stepping up production of my pasture wall to try and slow down the monkey hordes.

Right in the middle of the last theft, a weaver went moody and claimed all kinds of things (including an extremely valuable steel bar) to go and make an artifact left mitten. My depression at such a mediocre mood was lightened somewhat by reading that the steel was used to make the mitten menace with spikes, and that the mitten also had an image of a general being appointed by my civ, the Artifact of Steam. And then I was slightly confused by the glaze of quartzite, but all in all this is a badass mitten. Now if only I can get a matching mitten...

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: February 26, 2011, 09:00:55 pm »

After dozens of casualties, Project D is starting to near completion! I'll have to begin choosing the honoured who will move to their new obsidian "city" soon... Still looking for a good red building material for the wing membranes. Realgar comes to mind but it's not common enough, may have to resort to mining out all hematite veins. I have a count but he might need to make a ritual sacrifice since there's no way to satisfy his estate needs... I'm not giving him multiple levels! I should be able to stuff a mayor somewhere... body part suggestions?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10983 on: February 26, 2011, 09:04:07 pm »

Instead of a red stone, have you considered building high dumping platforms to paint it red?

I see a black megaproject and I want to paint it red~
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: February 26, 2011, 09:13:12 pm »

I'd totally do it but I have, in my heresy, forsaken Armok for the worship of Buket the Seconds of Frames, god of fortresses and suicide.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:17:08 pm by SlimyMarmot »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: February 26, 2011, 09:44:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What program do you use to get a view like that? I thought all the fortress visualizers besides Stonesense were only for outdated releases.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: February 26, 2011, 09:48:50 pm »

Rhesus macaques keep stealing all of my bees! I'm stepping up production of my pasture wall to try and slow down the monkey hordes.

Right in the middle of the last theft, a weaver went moody and claimed all kinds of things (including an extremely valuable steel bar) to go and make an artifact left mitten. My depression at such a mediocre mood was lightened somewhat by reading that the steel was used to make the mitten menace with spikes, and that the mitten also had an image of a general being appointed by my civ, the Artifact of Steam. And then I was slightly confused by the glaze of quartzite, but all in all this is a badass mitten. Now if only I can get a matching mitten...

Just give it to one of your many, many dwarves missing their right hand. I like making one-handed barons.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: February 26, 2011, 09:52:19 pm »

My fort is slowly dying off due to strange moods. They all went for the metalsmith's forge...and I have yet to find any metal...

The 2nd one to get a mood was my favorite military dwarf, the mace guy... I hope you like your tomb mace guy.

The 3rd, and current one, was a talented axedwarf.... He is getting the same thing as the 2nd one when he goes.

EDIT:.......Maybe it would be a good idea if I dismantled it.......... Ehhh, keep things interesting
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:55:31 pm by TheeBaconman »
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: February 26, 2011, 09:57:25 pm »

I just abandoned three forts in a row due to a multi-layer aquifer. Embarking on an aquifer was hard enough before, now we can't even tell how deep they are.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: February 26, 2011, 10:26:23 pm »

I feel Lucky. Not sure whether or not it's an ominous form of luck, but lucky.

Playing 31.19 for the second time, and I've established a fortress in an evil... shrubland I think...  The entire embark is the same biome; no aquifer, a layer of fire clay over a layer of worthless soil where I pasture my animals, the first stone layer is rock salt and thus far I've found THREE magnetite clusters and three sphalerite veins. There's marble flux in the first caverns, and supposedly metal sources down under as well. I feel rich already, and I'm just now starting to dig out some workshop areas.
I don't really like the new mineral rarity, even if it is more realistic and challenging, it just doesn't seem right that you have such a low chance of finding even one vein or cluster mineral per layer type, as it appears to me.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10990 on: February 26, 2011, 10:49:39 pm »

Axepraise (still in 31.18) on my old computer, where 86 dwarves make it run ~20 FPS, instead of ~70.

Humans turn up, trading looks promising, but my trader/book-keeper/manager, who has about 20 orders stacked up to deal with, is in the middle of stock keeping. Oh, well.

Then he goes and drinks, eats, goes on break, sleeps... By now I'm getting tired of this, so I remove his bed. He's off on break again (I remove the dining room), he's drinking again - appoint different trader, but he's busy, old trader is drinking again...

In the end, I scramble the Ancient Swords, who actually manage to take down both traders, the lasher and the hammerman - helped by each human standing still and ignoring the violence happening beside them.

Then, slightly later, I get the message that my fisherdwarf cancels rest; disturbed by werewolf.  Check, and he's halfway up the mountain.  Notice he's in the Ancient Swords, activate them, and he suddenly starts chasing the werewolf into the fort, where it gets wounded, and leaves a blood trail halfway across the map before dying.

Total sentient kills by my dwarves; 1 goblin, 4 elves, 4 humans, 1 werewolf.  Strange... and it's partly an evil biome...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: February 26, 2011, 10:55:56 pm »

I MANAGED TO GET 246FPS FUCK-YEAH!!! Lazy Newb Pack let me set the 'fps cap' higher than 100. I cna barely see whats happening!
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: February 26, 2011, 11:04:17 pm »

Disaster!

Its been too long since I've played if I've forgotten basic channeling precautions. A cave-in punched straight through my fortress, carrying along with it my mayor, my chief medical dwarf, my armorsmith, and a random potter, animal caretaker, and jeweler. The animal caretaker and jeweler died shortly after impact, and I'm scrambling to save the others.

The doctor is the one I brought from the beginning, and I haven't got much in the way of medical migrants (a few novice/adequate whatevers here and there.) My mayor got married to my weaponsmith shortly after arriving, and is now the proud father of a little girl. He's also got good likes, so his mandates are easy. Not only that, but he is friends with many other dwarves, so this could escalate.

Quite apart from the lack of proper medical staff, my hospital's well is dry. The only practical way for me to fill it is by diverting water from a cavern lake- all the steps for that are ready to go except for digging the channel from the lake to the reservoir, and breaching the cavern itself. Two FB's have kept me from attempting it with my ragtag military thus far, but to save the mayor I'll chance it.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: February 27, 2011, 04:57:08 am »

I MANAGED TO GET 246FPS FUCK-YEAH!!! Lazy Newb Pack let me set the 'fps cap' higher than 100. I cna barely see whats happening!
I had 800 FPS [for first 2 minutes, with 50 dwarves it was 40...]
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: February 27, 2011, 04:59:54 am »

my fortress is sleeping under a spell, until a new version of the princes cometh to kiss the bug goodbye.
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 3842