Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108827 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10920 on: February 24, 2011, 01:31:10 am »

My first fort of .19 is now active. Its name in English is "Shieldgrasping"-- a good solid defense of a name, but for the love of Armok don't expect me to either pronounce or spell the original Dwarven.

I'm setting up a dummy henhouse to exploit the nestbox glitch-- an entryway full of cage traps leading into a hole with a couple of nestboxes in it. My major concerns right now: do alligators use nesting boxes? And how do I make it accessible to my dwarves and to wild animals, but block out invaders if needed?

!!SCIENCE!! and !!FUN!! shall ensue, I suppose.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10921 on: February 24, 2011, 09:51:06 am »

I started playing again after a couple weeks.  A few minutes in, an ogre slipped in and started "interrupting" everything.  The military beat him up for a while before I realized that they didn't have any weapons. 
Also, everyone is dying of thirst and having tantrums.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10922 on: February 24, 2011, 10:11:31 am »

When I think about it, I'm sure I saw ash turn up as something I could build with once I made some in an ashery, but there's also a type of wood called ash. Isn't there? Am I getting confused?

Started a new fort so I could get a metal industry going. Siegelashed crashed a couple of times and I got ticked off with it.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10923 on: February 24, 2011, 10:16:47 am »

I save scummed drunkenunion after the kobold ambush. Got a migrant wave which had a grand master weaponsmith. I am very happy now :D.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10924 on: February 24, 2011, 10:27:52 am »

there's also a type of wood called ash. Isn't there? Am I getting confused?

I think it's ashen.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10925 on: February 24, 2011, 10:42:30 am »

It's ash. But it would say ash logs, not ash.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10926 on: February 24, 2011, 11:15:50 am »

I could imagine this causing a hilarious communication error that brings down the entire dwarven civilisation.

TheDistur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: February 24, 2011, 05:04:10 pm »

Oddom Oltaridos, Planter has created Kastolzustash, a schist amulet! Wonderful. :-\

Also, it is encrusted with schist.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:08:16 pm by TheDistur »

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10928 on: February 24, 2011, 05:07:59 pm »

So I finally lost my fortress today. It was a fairly interesting tale.

A second invasion force appeared, goblins this time. And so I prepared my bridge, raising and lowering as they advanced.
They were on the far side of the gorge when a second invasion force appeared; werewolves.
The drawbridge went up and stayed up.
The wolves attacked the goblins and slaughtered them.
We went back to doing the drawbridge trap. They eventually started crossing and a fair few made it into the trapped alleyway. There they were met with cages and spinning boulders, but this was not enough. Damaged they engaged the untrained soldiers and a fierce battle erupted. Even damaged the hulking beasts put up a fight. They took as much as they gave but eventually their last survivor stood, his guts trailing in the dirt, in the courtyard awaiting a new challenge.

One presented itself.
Two small squads of fresh goblins appeared and crossed the bridge. Cackling, they struck the werewolf to the ground and proceeded into the fortress. There they killed the last vestiges of the dwarves.

So ended the first occupation of Hamerun.

During all this, I found out that a one year-old snake-woman, now known as Workshade, struck down a forgotten beast named Zace, that had taken to roaming the caverns beneath my fortress.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:23:20 pm by MasterMorality »

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10929 on: February 24, 2011, 05:19:11 pm »

construction on the volcano trap corridor is proceeding well.

The floors are smoothed and engraved, the volcanos release mechanisms have been linked up, all that remains is to place the green glass weapon traps of serrated discs and spiked balls.

It is to note: a volcano + sand = instant glass industry with just 3 bags per workshop needed. -1 realy, but 3 for purposes of just in case-

these dwarves may become grand glass blowers in future. The volcanos crator is slowly being floored over, making ready to begin the fortress construction ontop of the volcano. from this base will rise an above ground fortress that is only accesable through tunnels under the earth as the crator walls rise so high to eacher side to stop walking in. Its top most tower will peirce the summit and stand out proud of the volcano.

stock reports tell tale of a ghostly adamantine schimitar that we cannot find in the store rooms.
This bodes ill for the fortress.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10930 on: February 24, 2011, 06:37:06 pm »

So, an Ettin shows up at my fort.  I call everyone in, including the military.  As I'm waiting for the last of them to dive into the fortress, one of my archers who decided that even though he'd been deactivated he wanted to keep training shoots him with a bone bolt.  It pierces his guts and the giant baby starts running away.

"Oh, well then."  I chuckle and send my squads out to batter him to death.   I've got the swordsdwarves equipped with training weapons but everyone else with real ones, so that we can get a little extra experience while we kill him.  They end up chasing him all around the map Benny Hill style, getting a hit in here and there. He leads them around like this for a freaking month; one of my swordsdwarves ends up a Legendary(+3) Fighter and a Legendary(+1) Swordsdwarf.  The Ettin is harmless, fleeing nonstop like that, so I let everyone out to do their chores.

Then a single-squadron siege of goblins appears.  I call everyone in and hope they'll mortally wound the Ettin and get their squad leader killed in one go.  My military is a bit slow getting in and the goblins manage to kill three or four of them.  Crap.

They chase a few more dwarves who didn't get in in time, kill them, kill a few pets here and there.  I'm starting to see some red down arrows, but that's okay, that's okay.  They finally go after the Ettin, and they start a bizarre little back and forth.  He kills a goblin, they wound him enough to make him run away again.  This happens about five times (one time, he clobbers the head gobbo off of his toad.)  before he finally snaps the leader's leg.  The two sides flee simultaneously.  When the gobbos are out of range, I open the gates and set my military on the Ettin again.  He's Faint, he's covered in wounds, this should go...

Oh god why is my military all dead.

Oh god why is everyone inside going berserk.

I surrender; I open the gates and let him roam free.  He bites the head off of a goose after he kills the last of my military.

A friend calls, and I leave the game running; when I come back, all but one of my dwarves are dead, as is the Ettin.  His last action was to bash my mayor's head in with a sock.  I can't figure out how he died; I figure he bled to death.  My last dwarf is running around babbling, completely naked except for some of the Ettin's blood.  I'm waiting for him to die when...

The human caravan arrives.  They sit there at the edge of the map, presumably staring in disbelief at the naked little hairy man and all the blood everywhere.  There's no Trade Depot, but they still stand there.

About 20 seconds later, another goblin siege shows up.  This time, they're all riding mounts.  6 voracious cave crawlers.  3 Giant Cave crawlers.  I'm not counting the rest; there are a bunch of jabberers, a bunch of Rutherers, some Elk Birds, some freaking Giant Bats. 

Against a human caravan that hasn't entered the map and one insane stonecrafter who lives in a fortress with no stone.

This should be quick.

It was.  I unpaused, and less than a gameday later, a human hammerman had been ripped to shreds by a VCC, and my little stonecrafter was eaten by a jabberer.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:38:38 pm by PopeRichardCorey »
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: February 24, 2011, 07:54:01 pm »

Diamondtruss has fallen. The once modest, but promising fort has been all but wiped out in a matter of minutes. A forgotten beast - a massive mite who's deadly dust numbed the body and blinded the eyes- took out the entire military, and well over half the population. The few who survived went insane one by one, and finished each other off. Now a single dwarf survives- a dwarven child who just watched every single person he ever knew die. If he stays inside, bearing the stench of miasma from the corpses all around him, he may live. There's plenty of food and booze for him. If he wanders outside, he'll walk right into a massive pool of poisonous extract, likely suffocating. If migrants arrive in time, we may yet rebuild. If not, I'll never force another dwarf to set foot in this twisted, hideous place.

EDIT: Migrants arrived! yay!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:15:36 pm by Samuel »

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: February 24, 2011, 08:21:56 pm »

I'm setting up a doomsday bunker that's completely sealed off from the rest of the fort. Four dwarves will live inside, and if anything Fun happens to the fort, they can stay alive until migrants come to take back Tangledarrows.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10933 on: February 24, 2011, 09:47:12 pm »

I'm starting a 0.31.19 fort, Salvespeak. Elves are modded to attack me.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10934 on: February 24, 2011, 10:53:03 pm »

Trolls and goblins get flushed.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2309-flushertrap
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 3842