Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108624 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10860 on: February 21, 2011, 08:36:03 pm »

I'd just got Siegelashed's defensive walls sorted out and hunkered in to prepare a little more for the multiple goblin ambushes waiting outside, when my poor beleaguered dwarves had to venture out to defeat some goblins to save some of the more than twenty migrants arriving. Overall, there was a net gain in the dwarf population, but at the expense of having most of my fort completely crippled.

Soon, at least, the well will be complete and it will become worth building a hospital. I wish I could build a big sign outside that said, "Friendly? Fuck off." I'd be alright if I didn't have to keep opening the damned front doors!
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: February 21, 2011, 08:51:39 pm »

I'd just got Siegelashed's defensive walls sorted out and hunkered in to prepare a little more for the multiple goblin ambushes waiting outside, when my poor beleaguered dwarves had to venture out to defeat some goblins to save some of the more than twenty migrants arriving. Overall, there was a net gain in the dwarf population, but at the expense of having most of my fort completely crippled.

Soon, at least, the well will be complete and it will become worth building a hospital. I wish I could build a big sign outside that said, "Friendly? Fuck off." I'd be alright if I didn't have to keep opening the damned front doors!

You could make a giant wall and spell it out with whatever's common.

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: February 21, 2011, 08:57:05 pm »

Just got a migrant wave that pushed my pop from 38 to 60.  It included 2 females with 4/5 combat skills and 10+ labors, and not a single male with any combat skills at all.  I've been restricting females to marksdwarf duties as I'm not in the mood for the added challenge of making so happy they're hardly bothered when their babies die, but I'm tempted throw them in.

Hmm...

Also, I'm watching a FB fight some cave fish men.  It's got over 3 full-screen pages of wounds, but it just won't go down.  It doesn't look like any of them have died either.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10863 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:50 pm »

Siegelashed's primary export is now clothes that once belonged to the dead.

You could make a giant wall and spell it out with whatever's common.

It's a mostly aboveground walled town made entire of stoneware bricks, but yeah, the way things have been going I might have to expand the defenses outwards somewhat. A lava moat perhaps? Alas, my concerns have been primarly pragmatic at late, so I think writing in the snow might be a bit extravagant.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10864 on: February 21, 2011, 10:22:31 pm »

Tooltrumpets is under siege by 5 goblin melee warbands and 3 troll squads.

The disturbing thing is that 2 of my forbidden doors have been magically taken by the enemy. I wonder if I've been infiltrated by Monarch Butterfly Combat Engineers...

Thieves that you haven't detected yet. Always put a guard animal by an external door.

Aha! Thank you! I have the guard animal farther in at a choke point. This is the first siege I've encountered with thieves accompanying the troops. As the weapons traps outside the doors are still operational it's more or less business as usual.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10865 on: February 21, 2011, 10:45:27 pm »

Stone Wera has been happy lately. He has had FUN recently.

Because I'm an idiot I decided to make stonefall traps at the entrance to my fort (basically a hollowed out moutain). A baby raccoon waltzes in and triggers the trap. I had neglected in placing supports below them, as a retractable drawbridge, guards, and a ballista lay before it. So, of course, it causes a cave-in (yes, another cave-in) and into the dining room. A few deaths, mostly from the new migrant wave. They had next to no friends, so it wasn't cause for much panic. But an artifact chair was destoyed in the collapse, and the creator threw a hissy fit (it wasn't even valuable, less than 10,000 dorfbucks, there must be cotton candy trousers worth much more than that). He calmed down after a while, but killed a single kitten which belonged to the widow of one of the victims of the cave-in (an older member, legendary brewer). She went melonchy after that, threw herself off of the mountain. Her children went berserk (except for one who went stark raving), beating up old ladies and pulling levers at random. Now you see, my fort is perfectly prepared for an attack from the outside, but when I opened the Circus I was all but helpless. Fortunately I had built a retracting bridge from the cotton candy mines to my fort, and raised it when I finally did pierce the Circus. So the trio of enraged minors made their way deeper and deeper into my fort until they had come to the lever, the only thing preventing the demons from destoying my base, and possibly the world. You can guess what happened next. It took less than two minutes for my base to be engulfed by the teeming hordes of hideous beasts. A sixteen year old fort destoyed because the guard let a damn raccoon in. I plan to visit it in adventure mode.

EDIT: As it turns out, it was not the maker of the artifact chair who tantrumed, but a legendary engraver. His master piece engraving was destroyed on the floor above, and the chair was destroyed later due to a demon's fire.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:50:32 pm by Stone Wera »

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10866 on: February 21, 2011, 11:18:55 pm »

Embarked at a nice site - volcano, relief, stream, limestone.

Find two pillars of blue cotton candy, going up about 12 levels.

Decide to see if it's a trap, and channel out the top, after digging stairs up.  One of my three miners managed to trigger a collapse and fell 12 levels.  When the first product of your mason is a cofffin, you know you're playing DF.

So decide to collapse the column safely.  Construct a pillar, mine oul the ground layer, link up a lever a long way away, and pull the lever.

While I was waiting, I looked at the magma pool - empty to -30z and spilling lava somewhere at a great rate, which explained the 60 FPS.

Collapse happens, send in the remaining miners to excavate.  Nothing happens.  Turns out I have no miners.  Check the messages.  Both crushed by the collapse.

As far as I can work out, just before the moment of collapse, the two depressed miners went to admire a <<☼Fine Support☼>>...

Abandoned, as all the dwarves were apparently friends, and it was still a long time to migrants....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

winner22580

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: February 21, 2011, 11:46:13 pm »

well i am on my third fort and i now have about 90 dorfs. so shit was really unproductive because of the influx of migrants. so now i have dorf therapist so i re-done all their job duties and everything is back to normal i think i am only on my second year now with this one so not much 'fun' yet. except a few people almost suicided but i managed to save them.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10868 on: February 21, 2011, 11:50:51 pm »

well i am on my third fort and i now have about 90 dorfs. so shit was really unproductive because of the influx of migrants. so now i have dorf therapist so i re-done all their job duties and everything is back to normal i think i am only on my second year now with this one so not much 'fun' yet. except a few people almost suicided but i managed to save them.

Yeah DT is a lifesaver. Turns that 28-cheesemaker wave from "oh god, I think I'll just ragequit" into "awesome, three new squads of expendable infantry".

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10869 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12:39 am »

first 31.09 fort failed horrendously, not because of a bug but because of my overzealous modding of draconic wildlife that insists on stealing from you while it murders you, can fly, have copper-level skin (better or worse? I'm not really sure, but they stole my only axe so it certainly protected them well.), and come in packs. About 4 of these 'yeric wyverns' were there on the map upon embark, and they tore a goat and a dwarf to shreds, stole our stuff, and ran off. Tantrum spiral killed the rest.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:07 am »

Siegelashed's primary export is now clothes that once belonged to the dead.
Yeah, sock with weight below 1 and value over 300 is ideal export. Once I managed to offer 200k in socks alone (and later I did this with cloaks, hoods, shoes).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10871 on: February 22, 2011, 03:55:33 am »

Currenting hauling about 8k worth of stone and -troll wool sock-s to my new atom smasher. Also, one of my legendary miners is carting around two babies at once, the fertile twit. Luckily I set my child-capacity to 'HELL NO' so once three more brats are born I'll be at capacity.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10872 on: February 22, 2011, 11:53:24 am »

Started a new fort. It went pear shaped VERY fast. Two seasons in and two died by falling into a river while thawed out at random and they drowned. Then my miner dug himself into a hole and then, instead of digging up, dug down, and three levels from the top he has stopped digging and started looking for small creatures. He's going to starve.

My woodsman is stuck on the other side of the river and nobody is building the bridge...

Oh this is tragic.

Edit: just in time six new migrants. I set the armorer to mine, and had her dig out a path way under the river. Then she went to do some more mining and fell down the pit my other miner had dug and is now very badly damaged and trying to crawl her way back to to safety.  This is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:09:36 pm by MasterMorality »

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10873 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12:12 pm »

Pretty classic, except for the influence the "new" stuff in DF2010: I had a meagerly trained military slaughtering Elk Birds, Rutherers, and various other semi-dangerous creatures in the caverns.  They were doing a pretty good job of it, they sustained a few injuries, but they were fine in the end.  One was what I hoped was temporarily hospitalized with a broken skull; he's still there what I think is a year later.

Then a Glacier Titan in the form of a Dimetrodon (sp?) which breathes fire shows up...  on the surface.  I pull everyone in very SLOWLY and summon the military to the surface, which takes even longer.  He kills a couple mercifully useless commoners, then sets my sheep on fire.  My military brings him down, but the body of the Swordsdwarf who actually killed him completely vanishes in the heat.  He haunts my fortress for a while.  A few other injuries and deaths are sustained, but I replace them with miners and trainees from my second squad...

Then only a few weeks later a FB shows up.  I send my military down, and half of them are getting depressed by this point.  He dies in no time and leaves no corpse because he's made of water.  I kind of feel bad for killing ol' Norul down there.

Moments later, a bunch of Goblin Ambushes turn up on the surface.  I send the military back up again!  half of them die, including the now named swordsdwarf who lopped of Norul's head.  The rest are brutally wounded except for my single Hammerdwarf who singlehandedly kills all 9 goblins left, saving another hammerer who is being battered repeatedly with empty crossbows.  He's depressed as all get out but he goes back to training.

So now I'm hanging around with 10 flashing wounded ex-soldiers and civilians who are never, ever gong to heal because I have yet to master plaster and soap because I've never bothered.  One swordsdwarf FINALLY dies of infection.  In the meantime, I have had THREE different Bonecarver moods, one of which produced a 1200 dwarfbuck undecorated crossbow made of the bones of that Dinosaur Glacier Titan.

Then I accidentally offer a wooden item to the elves.  Probably some craft I bought from them for the hell of it and then decorated.  I say "screw it" and take it all.  I was so busy that I haven't hunted down the magma sea yet, and none of my ballista arrows are ready, so I have to let them go.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10874 on: February 22, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »

17th of Granite, Year 1

A section of the cavern has collapsed!
Dastot McMiner cancels Dig Channel: Too injured.
Aban McMiner cancels Dig Channel: Unconcious.

Aban McMiner has bled to death.
Dastot McMiner has suffocated.

18th of Granite, Year 1

The Stray Yak Cow (Tame) has been struck down.

I'd forgotten how much fun DF was.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 3842