Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108485 times)

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10830 on: February 20, 2011, 08:36:44 am »

One year has passed and my dorfs managed to dig away everything, that's blocking the construction of my uberdorfish tower and the first 2 levels of the outside walls have been constructed. Other than that nothing special happened.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10831 on: February 20, 2011, 09:17:56 am »

The beleaguered inhabitants of Siegelashed, after 'surviving' the cyclops attack, faced a small ambush of goblins, after which a cave spider crawled up from the depths (and was caged!) and then a set of trogs followed in their wake before the trapdoor could be closed, some of which were attacked but most caged. I'm not running out of cages but I am running out of places to put caged things!
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: February 20, 2011, 05:46:17 pm »

Well I embarked to a untamed,frozen wilderness and did Play Now! and seem to be doing quite well. I've got a good selection of skills and have encountered no problems really. I have taken something of a risk by connecting with the caverns rather early (the world has a lot of big caverns, so it was very close to the surface) but no problems have developed. I even have some migrants. I wonder how long this will last...

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: February 20, 2011, 06:35:55 pm »

I finally finished my execution tower with 30z pit. It was immediately christined with the deaths of two recruit guardsmen (sparring; I set their barracks at the top of the tower), a theif and master theif, a kitten, and one of the miners who was digging the pit (he got eaten by a cave croc when he dropped), and I almost lost another one to falling 3z's.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: February 20, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »

My hunter is a real heartbreaker.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: February 20, 2011, 10:34:31 pm »

My first .19 fort, I've got about 50 dwarves and clay walls erected. Due to the lack of metals in .19, I am relying on a crossbow-equipped military. I'm training them up by having them all hunt in their spare time. It helps that all my migrant waves have had experienced hunters in them. I've got tons of meat as a result. I plan on catching some rhinos for breeding, since they provide absurd amounts of meat and bones.

I haven't had a goblin ambush for several years, but then again I haven't produced much trade wealth. I'm sure the 20 or so experienced hunters/crossbowmen roaming the countryside will be able to quickly deal with any ambushes.

I'm not really liking the scarcity of metals in .19, since I've had plenty of experienced smiths migrate in, and I lost one when he couldn't finish a mood.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: February 20, 2011, 11:26:24 pm »

Sugarguilds has fallen.  After five years of no Goblins at all (only a few kobold snatchers and droves of vultures), I managed to get sieged and ambushed by five groups of Goblins.  My untrained military of 20 could not drive them off, and it caused a massive tantrum spiral even after I did lock up.  Trying to rebuild was impossible, and the dwarves murdered eachother until the last remaining one starved.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: February 21, 2011, 01:11:34 am »

Currently waiting for 80 pop so I can get sieged already; my cage traps are woefully empty at the moment, and I could use some more goblinite in any case. In the meantime, I'm digging out tombs for the inevitable dead fishers.

Also hit the caverns; going to make a start on a military and make a danger room/trap-lined cavern entrance.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: February 21, 2011, 01:17:10 am »

Bees! Tiny yellow dots are wandering about the entrance to my trade depot.

They will guard my fort. They will sting my enemies relentlessly. They will be unstoppable. They will cause them mild pain and annoyance. The mildest!

Also, I'll probably get some honey or something out of the deal.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: February 21, 2011, 01:31:56 am »

A babby reindeer lost itself in my farm/stone pile area. I must trap it and others so that my warrior Dorfs can slide down the mountain and into battle wearing big red suits on a sleigh led by vicious warrior reindeers. With a bag full of battle axes.

EDIT: For some reason, reindeer fly. It defies everything I have been taught about aerodynamics and I am confuse.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:43:11 am by Stone Wera »

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: February 21, 2011, 02:25:42 am »

I started a nice little fort earlier - or so I thought. Shallow Metals, Deep Metal, Clay, Sand, Deep Soil, a river at the bottom of a nice gorge... The shallow metals turned out to be massive amounts of magnetite and some platinum. No flux or coal or lignite that I could find, but that wasn't an issue, given that tunneling down for magma was an option.

Of course, that revealed a little catch to this embark. Namely: No adamantine, and no HFS. I spent a good hour trying to dig my way around the lowest levels and find a way in, and revealed the entire magma sea along the way, but it seems my FPS-friendly 2x2 embark simply doesn't have that final challenge available. Thinking I'd screwed something up when setting the world gen options, I exported it, but I hadn't turned anything off; it was just a fluke.

Still, I'm not going to give it up. The site is really nice, and the abundance of iron means I want to take advantage of the opportunity to actually challenge some goblins - something I'd forgone in favor of trying to build castles after being slaughtered by ambushes while learning how to play.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: February 21, 2011, 02:37:30 am »

I'm taking advantage of the winter freeze to start work on my damming project.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:21 am »

You should use the ice to build the dam. Kill two birds with one stone.

Mandango

• Bay Watcher
  • mayor cancels Destroy Building: Resting injury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10843 on: February 21, 2011, 04:04:24 am »

Sounds pretty dwarf, but I don't feel it is truly dwarfy until you line it with water wheels and create Hoover Dwarf Dam and use it to power some completely useless mega project, maybe make a Dwarf Vegas.
Don't forget to check that a live puppy not falling to his doom will also set off such a plate of course.
I'm not sure if I follow the logic here.  So... how do we kill the puppies?

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: February 21, 2011, 07:06:34 am »

A raccoon stole *plump helmet roast* 6, my cook went batshit and managed to kill both some random peasant and my only military dwarf at the time.

Now his friend/wife is also nearly tantruming...
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 3842