Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108430 times)

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10815 on: February 19, 2011, 02:54:20 pm »

Mildly annoyed that, with two tame yak bulls in the living room/indoor pasture, and several yak cows outside, I don't have enough wood to build cage traps to bring any of them in...
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10816 on: February 19, 2011, 03:38:40 pm »

I've made it to winter. I was worried that I would have no caravan, as my civ has no leaders listed on the [c]iv screen, but they turned up and I bought some precious bismuth and copper gauntlets.

Now my militia commander is ignoring his uniform and running around naked...

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: February 19, 2011, 03:44:02 pm »

A forgotten beast made my 4-man militia have their entire body get advanced rot. Two of them recovered, but are now completely scarred and blind. The others are still rotting.

A second forgotten beast just showed up, this one a lobster made out of green glass with deadly dust. Hopefully it'll just shatter itself.

EDIT: The lobster found my blind militia while I was exploring a natural cave cliff overlooking a lake. It promptly blew its load, sending it careening over the edge while my dwarves stood around, oblivious. Then their entire body started getting extreme swelling, as well as advanced rot. Again. The poor shmucks.

EDIT2: Game crashed while looking at my militia commander's wounds for the 100th time. Damnit.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:36:01 pm by ElthMysterius »
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: February 19, 2011, 04:47:41 pm »

EDIT2: Game crashed while looking at my militia commander's wounds for the 100th time. Damnit.
Yeah, it happens with FBs. Methinks their infections cause the full version of The King in Yellow to appear on their victim's skin.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10819 on: February 19, 2011, 08:13:06 pm »

Switched to the matrix tile set for the lulz, found out the king of my civ is also labeled as a drunk, and construction of execution tower and above ground military complex has begun.
nothing

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: February 19, 2011, 09:19:26 pm »

I'm dying of my first FPS death...to many goods, to many dwarves...to much going on.

I'll miss my 40 angry red-steel clad, bearded terminators with their mace-lord Commander and his fancy Artifact mace...

during my 4th summer the commander took his (at the time) Black Steel mace and clocked a forgotten beast so hard he knocked it's head off.

P.S- I love Steel Dwarves.

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: February 19, 2011, 10:13:10 pm »

Been actually giving my dorfs proper rooms, and I'm loving the relative scarcity of metals in .19. No more technicolor rooms! Two colors at most and both being some sort of gray is glorious. Also having to clearcut the surface to make the stuff I need, but... :D

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: February 19, 2011, 10:16:00 pm »

In my fort, I'm being ASSAULTED by wave after wave of turkey hen, trying to claim the nest boxes I have set up.

I have to say, this has been by far the most hilarious invasion I've had so far. They come in through the holes I had in the roof for the apiary (bee hive room), and swamp the pasture I have the nests in. Luckily, I also had dogs there, so the dogs have been slaughtering the wild hens.

This is the easiest hunting I've ever done.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: February 19, 2011, 10:32:37 pm »

In my fort, I'm being ASSAULTED by wave after wave of turkey hen, trying to claim the nest boxes I have set up.

I have to say, this has been by far the most hilarious invasion I've had so far. They come in through the holes I had in the roof for the apiary (bee hive room), and swamp the pasture I have the nests in. Luckily, I also had dogs there, so the dogs have been slaughtering the wild hens.

This is the easiest hunting I've ever done.

Awww, why can't I have this much fun?! Half the time I have elephants instead of peahens (my resident insane birds) and when I do have peahens they don't seem very interested in my nestboxes for this fort. :(

In the news of my fort, I have my particolor dining tables almost finished: I had to temporarily make basalt an economic stone so my dwarves would bloody well MAKE some chalk tables and thrones, and the excess basalt furniture has been thrown in the river for the fishes to eat off of, but it's still fun. Also actually trading with merchants instead of waiting for them to unload and then deconstructing the depot under their feet, and my crafter dorf is being a PITA and loafing about instead of making me some damn crafts so that's fun...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: February 19, 2011, 10:53:57 pm »

Haha, my animal trainer is taming his first elephant by giving it a turtle.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: February 20, 2011, 12:02:42 am »

Genned a word and found a nice site with clay, sand, a brook and what was supposed to have been shallow metal and turned out to be bituminous coal.

Regenned, found an utterly lovely site that (with a bit of embark area stretching) contained multiple shallow metals, clay, a brook, and a volcano. Embarked, CTD. Picked a slightly less auspicious site just to the north, CTD. I'm now going to try prospecting with an adventurer to see if this can be used as a workaround.

UPDATE: I think I found the problem. My adventurer tried stopping off at a keep for the night and discovered himself standing at the edge of a "great magma sea". Above ground. And, judging how the FPS immediately dropped to zero and the sea started overflowing in my direction, it was more of a giant magma blob that was plopped on the surface of the world during worldgen. Quickly hit Shift-T, but died an agonizing (and agonizingly slow) death when trying to sleep in the wilderness... on top of a giant magma blob.

UPDATE 2: Bonus!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:25:53 am by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10826 on: February 20, 2011, 02:26:21 am »

A recently created statue:

The item is a well-designed image of Sazir Wippedspread the dwarf and sheep in phyllite by Eral Ustuthishen.  Sazir Whippedspread is admiring the sheep.

The introduction of pastures seems to have taken a very, very wrong turn in my fortress.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: February 20, 2011, 02:31:30 am »

NEVERMIND!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10828 on: February 20, 2011, 06:36:15 am »

Still in 31.18.

Minewheels.  Split between a lush, heavily wooded biome with a brook and a frozen wasteland with a volcano.

Molested by elephants, jaguars and one humped camels, but managed to catch and train two war elephants - both female, unfortunately.

Early kobold issues - when you have 7 dwarves and still haven't even planted crops, they are a real problem. End score Team Kobold 3 (injured my only cat, slashed a mason's arm and a fisherdwarf's hand), Us 3 (a stray dog bit one's head off, and my ring-ins, a goblin ambush, have killed two that turned up in the middle of mayhem.)

Anyway, just into the second summer.  39 dwarves and forges finally working well.  Risking building a wall on the plain to the west to funnel elephants (hopefully male) into a trap.  You know those risky times when you send your miners and masons out of the fort to a place that's been completely safe? And how a goblin ambush occurs exactly then.  Well.  Fortunately the miners had returned for another of their too frequent drinking sessions, and only a novice engraver was killed.

And the ambush ran into the cage traps, all except one lasher, who killed the guard dogs, then hung around his boss.

Then the second ambush, again lashers, appeared, running through the makeshift second line of cage traps, and I had to set my unarmoured, weaponless (mostly) hastily conscripted militia of 6 onto them, in my fortress's first level.  I didn't count on the two elephants, who, after my half decent spear dwarf was badly injured, stepped into (or onto) the goblins, and all were slaughtered!  Including one goblin body that ended up in my depot, two floors down.

Then it was a rush, supported by the heavy elephants, to take out the last lasher at the gates.  One dwarf struck down, and two badly injured before an elephant kicks it in the head, from behind.

End result; 5 goblins dead, one killed by a dwarf, the rest by elephants.  Two dwarves dead, and a militia commander who can't grasp.  8 goblins in cages.  They'll wish they hadn't come by the end.  Or I'll strip them and set them free with the elephants...

Oh - and in the mayhem, caught another elephant.  But she's not what I'm looking for...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: February 20, 2011, 08:21:15 am »

The citizens of Siegelashed, an industrial town made of brick, have recently been attacked by a cyclops. I wish I could say that the fended off the cyclops; unfortunately, it ran them around them map several times, slaughtering some fifty of them, before it finally walked into a cage trap. Sadly, all but nine of the town of some fifty died, and about half of the survivors were mortally injured. I thought tantrums would swiftly finished the place off, but right then twenty migrants arrived. Well, back to the magma kilns then! Let's finish off this damned town wall...
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 3842