Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108005 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10740 on: February 14, 2011, 01:04:39 pm »

Trying to catch some of these unicorns running around as their bones aren't in my stockpiles where they belong.
Now that my post is on topic, I'll ask a question not worthy of a thread: Is there any way to lure animals into my traps? Rhesus Macaque and other thieves can obviously be lured with high value objects, but would a bear go after a fish? Searching has turned up no results, but I also didn't search very hard.
bears go after booze and shinies, fish too I think.
animal traps may work, behind cage traps that is ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

killUrist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: February 14, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »

Well, this happened:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=445#comic

... with a giant albatross that breaths steam and frost. And MY light infantry marches safely with some 500 steps between each other! Ninja owns the night!

Not.
What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: February 14, 2011, 03:25:22 pm »

green glass statue has been toppled by giant olm

... I did not think hard enough about my fortress' entrance.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: February 14, 2011, 03:45:55 pm »

>make lots of charcoal
>try to smelt hematite
>"Needs energy or refined coal"

What am I doing wrong? The charcoal is stored in a stockpile just a z level above the smelter.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: February 14, 2011, 04:02:17 pm »

You need to "make coke from charcoal". I think it's a Wood Burner task.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: February 14, 2011, 04:04:16 pm »

You need to "make coke from charcoal". I think it's a Wood Burner task.
charcoal works fine.
blocks don't work. stockpile settings? forbidden?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: February 14, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »

You can't use blocks as raw materials.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: February 14, 2011, 05:39:03 pm »

The latest goblin siege at Chasmfall brought half a dozen War Sea Dragons.  I forgot that they were building destroyers, so my bridge-drop didn't work on them.  And they managed to deconstruct one of the bridges entirely, cutting me off from the outside world while three squads of Furies sit outside my base.
And now I just learned that there's stuff blocking construction on the inaccessible side of my system.  Which means that I need to unseal the shortcut passage.  Since my military's not up to snuff (there're only about 14 dwarves, clad in candy but otherwise of low skill), I'll just have to wait out this bloody siege.

Once I've finally gotten the furies off my back, I'll finish walling off the outdoor refuse decomposal area.  It's a 20 x 35 room in Z -1, and I'll wall it off on the surface and then pave it over with green glass (That is, that'll be a whopping, what, 700 glass blocks that I need!).  Will stuff still decompose?  If not, I don't care, I'll do it anyways...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Mandango

• Bay Watcher
  • mayor cancels Destroy Building: Resting injury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: February 14, 2011, 07:22:25 pm »

Just survived a siege but now the fortress is suffering a tantrum spiral, I'm letting it run its course and I'll check back when the dust has settled to see who is left alive and start anew.  Too many good for nothing migrants anyway, this will be a good culling of the population.
Don't forget to check that a live puppy not falling to his doom will also set off such a plate of course.
I'm not sure if I follow the logic here.  So... how do we kill the puppies?

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: February 14, 2011, 08:26:40 pm »

After I learned about the existance of bins, there was a massive stockpile cleanup reducing its size to like 1/10 with a lot of unused stockpile rooms left.

Now there is a massive atom smashing over 1000 goblin clothes and a lot of butchered animal corpse parts, which have no use in the current version, happening. The worst thing about that, is that you cannot mark items inside of a bin as dump directly in the bin view. You have to get to the item description first, to do that, otherwise the bin itself will be dumped too and you have to reclaim it at the dump site again, in order to save it.

And all this is happening at 14 FPS...
Easy solution to the latter. Mass-forbid then mass-dump the bins you want emptied. Then go to the Z-stocks and undump any bins set to dumping. Then mass-reclaim your stockpile.

I just 'breeze' through stock menu, hitting f-d (in case you have set to forbid death items of others) or just d on narrow clothes.

At least, for me.

Why do I have to forbid them at the first place? Why making things more complicated then they are? The easiest solution would be a "dump internals" option on the bin view.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: February 14, 2011, 08:31:16 pm »

i my dwarves mined a huge hollow into volcano mountain, for few years' effort.
so four years of pumping(temperature off, otherwise band for FPS), i managed to create a chunk of obsidian roughly 40X60X40+20X30X50, with a tiny tower thrusting into the sky(man making this part was really a pain!)
and a miscalculation on the space i could ever need means every dwarf would have its own large decorated bedroom, office, dining chamber, zoo and display case and probably 7X7 mausoleum. also five-story huge great grand splendid roughly 30X50 meeting hall. and a temple stretching from the lowest level of the main fort to the highest, as any sacrifice would drop fifty z-levels before it hit the ground, thus finishing the seasonal(i hope) rite. dwarve would be watching this in the meeting hall, through highest valued glass windows(the area is rich of marble, bauxite and granite so i got over 100 corundums and emeralds), so supposedly many should recieve 'dont care about anything anymore' status.

the problem is how do i do with the thousands of metal ores, and the 50K low value stones.
and the obsidians. i would, when i finish carving the fort, possess enough obsidian to make weapons capable of equiping historical amount of aztec Macuahuitl swordsmen.

ah excitement!

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: February 14, 2011, 09:38:27 pm »

the problem is how do i do with the thousands of metal ores, and the 50K low value stones.
and the obsidians. i would, when i finish carving the fort, possess enough obsidian to make weapons capable of equiping historical amount of aztec Macuahuitl swordsmen.

Use the metal to make statues of all your dwarves.

Use the obsidian to make a scale model outside, of the volcano as it used to be, and fill it with magma.

Put the statues on the slopes of the "volcano".

Dump all the waste stone into the magma.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: February 14, 2011, 09:49:30 pm »

Use the metal to make statues of all your dwarves.

Use the obsidian to make a scale model outside, of the volcano as it used to be, and fill it with magma.

Put the statues on the slopes of the "volcano".

Dump all the waste stone into the magma.

well certainly good suggestions

but my question was actually rhetorical :P

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: February 14, 2011, 10:13:48 pm »

I just noticed that I have a Tigerman engraver, so Imma train him to legendary status.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: February 14, 2011, 10:19:30 pm »

I just noticed that I have a Tigerman engraver, so Imma train him to legendary status.
lol i've a legendary swimmer tigerman who spent most of his time in swimming pool/meeting hall.
i guess i'll send him to next dwarf olympic games.
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 3842