Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107105 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10620 on: February 09, 2011, 10:35:45 pm »

A new forgotten beast just arrived. an enormous scaly squirrel.  :P

I burst out laughing as soon as I read it. Now for the most embarressing fortress death ever.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: February 09, 2011, 11:21:35 pm »

A new forgotten beast just arrived. an enormous scaly squirrel.  :P

I burst out laughing as soon as I read it. Now for the most embarressing fortress death ever.

Scaly squirrel should be damned terrifying to dorfs. After all, squirrels are nothing if not the allies of the trees.

...Those horrible red eyes, the giant scaly rattiness of the beast, as it looses a grating, feral cry of "I'M GOING TO EAT YOUR NUTS."
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: February 10, 2011, 01:15:42 am »

There was a goblin ambush after the caravans arrived. I lost several soldiers, and almost immediately a tantrum spiral ensued. It was only aided by the death of the surgeon (previously the chief medical dwarf, then made a permanent invalid by goblins and committed suicide by not resting and thus dieing of thirst), who was apparently a grand socialite and had dozens of friends and even a lover, Tobul the brewer. Then a dwarf went berserk; Atir the fishery worker, lover to Zon the soap maker (hospitalized after being beaten for crimes, the jail is full and the prisoners in it will all die of thirst because I ran out of booze somehow. I swear I keep this fortress, every fortress, well stocked. Ridiculous >:( I don't even have any plant matter and only one or two female thopits to milk(custom alcoholic milk material)). Finally the architect, the new guard captain/chief medical dorf, went melancholy and has been replaced by Urdim the gem cutter. The head woodsman has landed herself in prison with a whopping 226 days and a beating to go. She will die, probably before the other 6 of the starting seven and their dozens of friends have calmed down.
There are so many couples so deeply in love in this fort, so many married, and now they're starting to die one by one and drive their lovers and their spouses insane.
I may not be able to finish the megaproject of an underground, carved-out city flooded by water because of this. I do not expect to survive except by the new migrants and caravans to bring food and booze to them. I'd never be able to make enough coffins and slabs to ward off the evil spirits unless I manage to separate some anti-socials out with a huge stock of free stone and their own personal booze.

And then a kidnapper makes off with another child...  :-\
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:17:59 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: February 10, 2011, 01:50:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've taken to setting the spouses of the military, at least, to work butchering puppies. Eventually they get the "doesn't care about anything anymore" thought. It curbs tantrum spirals somewhat.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: February 10, 2011, 02:00:05 am »

RAAAAGE!!!!
i started a new fort with a good furnace operator, but no metalsmith of any sort, hoping that by the time i was ready to start my metal industry properly, a decent enough metalsmith would show up with some migrants.
well...
my first wave had four dwarves, a peasant with no skills, a competent leatherworker, a HIGH MASTER weaponsmith, AAAAAnd a HIGH MASTER armorer.
i had just assigned beds to be placed in what would soon be their bedrooms when i lost power and they were gone.

gone gone gone gone GONE!

RAAAAAAAAAGE!!
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: February 10, 2011, 02:22:59 am »

Inksquid.

Fort entrance into a straight cliff running E/W with another straight cliff to the W, running N/S. 

Aside from bridges across the walls to the N and E, the only other entrance is a little two step wide gully that I mined with four cage traps.  First goblin ambush happened quite late - second winter? - and avoided the bridges of death, piling into this gully.  If the dwarven caravan hadn't been leaving just then, and the decoy kittens weren't running, it would have been bad.

So I now have two bridges, four cage traps, two weapon traps, and my first magma weapon guarding the gully.  The magma tap is simple, embarrassingly so - just a straight channel from the volcano to a floodgate that lets lava flow down the gully.  First (and only, so far) use melted 8 goblins, so I was happy.

Tried it again on a siege that hung around the side of the map, despite my fort being open and accessible, but they got bored and left before I could get the plumbing sorted out, and having random channels of lava through your fort can be a little annoying when laying things out.

Also had 8 goblin lashers jump out next to Ushat, my High Master Hunter/Armourer/Mason (strange mix but it works).  Well, he's dead, I thought, activating the emergency burrow.  Nope.  Keeping only one step away from them, he killed two, incapacitated three more and scared off the rest with his *Bronze Crossbow*.  My militia arrived just in time to kill the unconscious ones. 

Ushat's getting a better room...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: February 10, 2011, 07:27:45 am »

High master armorsmith migrant in first summer.

EDIT: I was thinking "hmm the buzzards should be coming any time soon" AND THEY CAME.
EDIT2: the low-stat woodcutter and the high-stat engineer have fallen in love. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!! The woodcutter has been sent to harvest unicorns.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:19:25 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Darthania

• Bay Watcher
  • Standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: February 10, 2011, 10:19:08 am »

Lots of fun - tantrum spiral due to no water. Must make well next time.
Nanos gigantium humeris insidentes.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: February 10, 2011, 11:45:56 am »

Diamondkisses fell, as these forts so often do, to a badly placed tunnel and the overseer missing the combat alert until it was much, much too late.

That said: Skeletal cave crocodiles. Plural. What the hell, game?
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: February 10, 2011, 01:07:10 pm »

I used dfReveal to find iron on my embark. The only few veins existing was 2z lower then the topmost praise-the-miner column  ::)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: February 10, 2011, 01:08:44 pm »

Using 23a. Pretty fun too. Trying to set up roads for human caravan wagon.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: February 10, 2011, 01:40:26 pm »

I played around with worldgen settings for a bit and produced an amazing region with a massive freshwater lake surrounded by cliffs and all sorts of interesting islands inside. I also discovered the "show caves" setting, which resulted in embarking on top of a kobold outpost. Time for some genocide.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10632 on: February 10, 2011, 01:51:41 pm »

I played around with worldgen settings for a bit and produced an amazing region with a massive freshwater lake surrounded by cliffs and all sorts of interesting islands inside. I also discovered the "show caves" setting, which resulted in embarking on top of a kobold outpost. Time for some genocide.

Please please please post it so all can enjoy its awesomeness!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: February 10, 2011, 01:54:14 pm »

Please please please post it so all can enjoy its awesomeness!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: February 10, 2011, 02:03:45 pm »

Part 61 of my LP is up.

This update actually involved a lot of savescumming at one moment in the game. Normally I wouldn't save scum but I don't want to end this LP and it was a really dumb situation. The goblin maceman standing below was actually keeping dwarves out of the hospital. They'd try to go to the hospital, see him, and then run away 99% of the time. Which is why I sent the military out to deal with them. However, the dwarves were scared away from the lever control room as well. So I had to keep save scumming until a dwarf managed to stumble into the control room before everyone in the hospital starved to death.

Also I don't get why that child isn't listed to recieve any sort of punishment after murdering two dwarves.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 3842