Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107858 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10545 on: February 05, 2011, 01:44:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Underland.
I modded all the subterranean plants/trees to appear above ground instead, and got rid of all the other trees. I tried to get them to appear above ground and in caverns, but that produced a problem where a dwarf would harvest a shrub but no plant would appear. Regardless, I believe this is an added challenge, as I could only embark with meat and fish, and farms can only be above ground as well as the surface being the only source of wood...
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: February 05, 2011, 01:58:29 pm »

Just under a year gone, I've dug straight down and found more coal than I can shake a stick at, as well as two magnetite clusters stacked on top of each other. I now have 5 trainees running around in almost all (no quality) steel gear. The first thief arrived only to be chased across the map and get cut down the middle with 1 tile to go.

Other than that, time to get designing in detail.

Glassterne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: February 05, 2011, 03:21:25 pm »

Week 3 imprisoned in "Bomrekzedot." I finished building the power generator today. Delighted, the dwarves gave me a tattered copy of a dwarfputing manual and ordered me to engineer my own elaborate death trap. Perhaps with a bit of cunning it will be theirs, too.

A week ago, I heard a few dwarves conversing about the duchess' consort, Monom "I'm a legendary douche" Bulbcities.  I saw murder in their eyes. Said he's gone funny in the head ever since he had his upper right thigh torn off by a cave crocodile. They found the thigh, but not the rest of his leg, on the bloody cave floor. Where the rest of it is is a mystery, though one swore he saw Monom clutching it to his chest,along with "his" precious artifact crossbow, when he was hauled to the hospital. The chief medical dwarf refused to evaluate him until he gave back the crossbow. How hard is it to yank a crossbow from a bedridden cripple, anyway?

Then yesterday  I saw him, staggering down the corridor like some rotten corpse in a feyed frenzy. I'm not quite sure anymore if he even lost his lower right leg at all.

This fortress...
Disturbs me.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: February 05, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »

Welp... looks like Catpaddles is on it's final legs at 560, 10 years after it's creation.  Oh, I'm not low on dwarves.  I got 170 happy, ecstatic dwarves with a 60 strong Iron/Steel armed military, trapped corridors, and an entirely roofed in outside area so I can't be attacked by bolts from invaders from above.  The problem lies... in with even 170 dwarves, 100 animals (All but pets and my war elephants in cages), I'm now 70 Z-levels down (out of 168), broke into my 2nd cavern... and I run a constant 5-10 FPS.  I can't go on like this. It's... painful to play with such a low FPS. 

I think I need to edit the  world values to never allow a world go below 60-70 Z-Levels or so. :\
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: February 05, 2011, 09:23:49 pm »

get rid of most animals, set proper traiffic, get rid of excess stones/items, run dfclean, and next time just  gen a small or medium world, if you dont like tiny ones.
and oh, embark on small area as possible.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: February 05, 2011, 10:05:14 pm »

In my 40d mega fort I have been abusing the elves for several years. They just sent my some ambushers offerings. Half were untrained conscripts, and the other half were poorly trained swordsmen with the latest and greatest in elven technology: wooden swords clubs! Some locals hauling in crap from the last goblin siege beat three or four to death, and then my doubleplusgood champions with masterwork obsidian shortswords, and exceptional steel armour took them down without even raising a sweat.

I look forward to being able to bitch out their diplomat soon.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: February 06, 2011, 01:23:39 am »

An elephant aggroed one of my hauler and started strangling his neck. I immediately send an another hauler like 10 tiles away to help, This guy is a novice axeman with a plain copper axe. And despite 7 pages of axing axtion, he still couldnt manage to kill it and his friend was suffocated axphyxiated to death. I'm going to put the slab in his room to remind him of his failure for the rest of his life.

Also:

It's not my fault that he banned shields when the bins are already being carried to the depot.

EDIT: thanks, ext0l.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:01:11 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: February 06, 2011, 03:37:20 am »

gen a small or medium world
Why?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: February 06, 2011, 04:02:58 am »

Why?
smaller world means fewer things the game has to process on background
it's been discussed recently on this post starting from this page

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: February 06, 2011, 04:12:33 am »

In my newest fort I've decided to name everyone "Slave" except legendary dwarves and military.  xD

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: February 06, 2011, 04:37:13 am »

Why?
smaller world means fewer things the game has to process on background
it's been discussed recently on this post starting from this page
Thanks!
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: February 06, 2011, 04:42:11 am »

In my newest fort I've decided to name everyone "Slave" except legendary dwarves and military.  xD
inspiring!
i shall name my least useful and heavy workers slave, other raw production and not-so-lowly workers freedwarf/freedwarfette and  managers, workers with at least one non-gathering(i.e. hunting, mining, woodcutting, plant gathering etc.) non social or weapon skill at Great as citizen/citizeness. common sodilers, regardless skill level, are alway freedwarfs/freedwarfettes. commanders and champions are always citizen/citizeness.

oh, and anyone with three or more legendary+5 skills, regardless skill type or previous status, would proceed to honoured citizen!

monarch would, upon arrival, be celebrated and welcomed as 'Princeps Basileus Caesar, Dominus Patriae Imperium Manius Imperator, Magister militum id est Augustus Invictus'(if the monarch is male, but technically those titles, beside basileus, are applied not to monarch :( ) I'll use dwarf therapist to cheat, with genesis n' higher learning workshops, to make that particular noble to 'work/train', thusly fulfil the requirement to be capable enough, to rightfully hold those titles. pitty the custom name probably could not go so long.
Almighty Dwrome!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:03:45 am by Lamphare »

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: February 06, 2011, 05:03:23 am »

I'm gonna embark on what I'm hoping/expecting to be the most !FUN! yet. It's got sand, a brook, sliver barbs, sun berries, and phantom spider silk.

It took awhile to get the map, I'm so excited! :D

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: February 06, 2011, 08:42:08 am »

Currently playing the Wizard Tower mod, trying to build a giant phallic wizard tower aboveground.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3677116/wizards.png (link to huge overview map of ground floor)

I just had a REALLY strange thing happen tho!
a kobold ambush managed to seperate one of my wizards, who actually managed to dodge enough of the kobolds arrows  for them to get bored and go home with the wizard still alive. She was hauled off to the barracks and i set up a basic hospital zone.

I was missing most of the supplies for a hospital tho, and i had pretty much written her off when the caravan arrived.
I bought the supplies i needed and imagine my surprise when the doctor actually sutured up the patient, set the broken bones, applied casts and bandages  and sent her on her merry way.

First time i've actually had a hospital WORK :P

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: February 06, 2011, 10:32:05 am »

goblin ambush and strangler siege and elf traders arrived at the same time. the stranglers were a joke but the ambush wasnt as it was a squad with the improved bows. I havent seen so much blood for a good while.
Spoiler: blood bath (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: random log (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 3842