Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108055 times)

Zenny the Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a fork
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10470 on: February 03, 2011, 09:37:15 pm »

I've built a nice overground fortress, with a golden tower in the middle. The tower is 13 z-levels high and the floor is filled with spear traps.
It's filled with lots of body parts
In one fort, I modded minotaurs to be tamable and made one of them mayor by chaining him in the dining hall.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: February 03, 2011, 09:41:22 pm »

So I've been getting slightly nostalgic for 40d lately, but I don't want to bother with downloading it. Quite the conundrum indeed, until I realized that my play style had altered significantly since 40d, and I could simply act like I was playing 40d++.

So that's why I'm building a trade depot drowning trap in the first summer.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: February 03, 2011, 10:31:01 pm »

"The Mountain Titan Ponther Itheesitheek Ribbusthaesnisnis (say that 5 times fast :P) has come! An enormous humanoid composed of steam. It has a short horn and it moves about carelessly."

We are so screwed! Dismantle the bridge! Take shelter! Marksmen to the moat-side! Oh gods, what do we do!?

I am not prepared for this  :'(

Wait a minute.... He's getting his ass whipped by a cat! Charge!
Ponther Canyonchanted the Raw Pass the mountain titan, d. 104.
Went to an unarmed wrestler faster than my screen could redraw the image. She's not getting a promotion on the grounds that the cat got a better workout than her, but I will take her off military duty for being married.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:39:56 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: February 03, 2011, 10:54:15 pm »

Made of steam.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: February 03, 2011, 11:11:06 pm »

My latest fort, Ceilingsplatter, is located in a mountain seemingly completely made of obsidian. There's no volcano around... so what should I make?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: February 03, 2011, 11:17:57 pm »

My latest fort, Ceilingsplatter, is located in a mountain seemingly completely made of obsidian. There's no volcano around... so what should I make?

A volcano.  Set right the wrongs of nature.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Borogove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: February 03, 2011, 11:45:56 pm »

Are you the same Borogove I've been bantering with on twitter about Dwarf Fortress?  :D

Yep :)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: February 03, 2011, 11:53:01 pm »

My latest fort Paintedheat has WAY too many people for my tastes, but I'm otherwise very happy with it.

My squad "The spells of rope" has 4 dwarves (I should add more), equipped with silver war hammers and training every other month. Since they're not using a danger room, I was questioning their usefulness. I'm questioning no more though, they just killed a giant with no injuries (other than the dozen or so dead cats and dogs outside while I was quivering in undwarvish fear).

I'm quite proud of how tidy this fort is too. There are a few beds, but no rooms. I have a nice trash compactor for all of my corpses and less than useful stones. If I ever have to retake this fort, I am under the illusion that their won't be so much cleaning up to do.

Also, elves just came with a female tigerman (let the fetish's start?). I bought her right away, though I'm not sure how successful I'll be with keeping her alive. I haven't been particuarly good at keeping meat supplied. That will have to change now. 

EDIT: apparently I offered something wooden to the elves - they tried to leave. Dwarven morality won't allow them to take that slave away - they had to die.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:56:52 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Borogove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: February 03, 2011, 11:58:22 pm »

Armok Dammit! Another tantrum wrecking the bridge over the magma moat!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: February 04, 2011, 01:37:50 am »

Part 59 of my LP is up.

SPOILERS: EVERYBODY IS DYING!

Help  :(
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: February 04, 2011, 02:03:42 am »

After stealing absolutely everything edible, the remaining dozen buzzards hang around the map for about a month then leave. The dwarves quickly rush out, grab the captured buzzards and strike them down with all of their hatred at the butcher's workshop.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: February 04, 2011, 03:00:51 am »

buzzard repeater, anyone?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: February 04, 2011, 03:01:19 am »

Part 59 of my LP is up.

SPOILERS: EVERYBODY IS DYING!

Help  :(

I Would say your best option is to continue the bridge-toggling tactic until enough of them have drowned/been eaten to cause them to retreat. There's not much else you can really do. Just keep the soldiers stationed just around a corner or something so they don't rush out except for individuals that actually make it across in time. Maybe you could set the lever to repeat; if it will let the bridge toggle even somewhat awkwardly then enemies will still make pathing attempts to cross it and get dumped.
If you survive, spend the next few months building a wall between the waterfront and the continental interior to block off archers, then invest heavily in your own archers and fortified towers. If not, then start building inland in beautiful benign grasslands next to equally safe mountain ranges. Rivers optional.
I despise archers, and in my current fort I'm worried they're going to be absolutely overpowering because I haven't built a wall yet, just a dry moat.
Speaking of which the game crashed not long after the titan was punched in the chest. I fully noted it was a steam-based titan but that somehow didn't register in my head so I was terrified. Even the cat experienced little more than a somewhat-too-warm sauna.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: February 04, 2011, 04:03:53 am »

In brief, my farming operation

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: February 04, 2011, 07:14:09 am »

For the second time, I got too greedy and dug too deep.

Ici Raliomethu, a Falcon Forgotten Beast with External Ribs, is currently enjoying the circus while my 4 of my 5 suriving dwarves are in the hospital waiting for doctors that are never going to come. He's not doing very well.

My legendary miner is sleeping in his room. I'm pretty sure he's still upset with me for making him channel himself into the 3 level caverns. My soldiers in the shiny blue armor made quick work of some huge monsters down there, allowing him to be rescued.

It appears they even took down a few clowns before they were overrun.
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 3842