Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108145 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10455 on: February 03, 2011, 12:59:02 pm »

I got a Legendary Engraver and a dolomite mini-forge out of an otherwise useless Dyer.

Now turning off all other stone detailers and letting this guy engrave my dining room. Or maybe I should use burrows...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10456 on: February 03, 2011, 01:00:29 pm »

fuck goblins. there's a nearly-dead goblin that just won't die in the middle of my fort's happy place.
I am annoyed. punching dudes do basically nothing.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:37 pm »

I must have the most egotistical carpenter in the world. She becomes secretive, spends eleven days gathering materials, and makes a fungiwood table. She likes tables so that isn't really weird. The weird part? The artifact's name is her name, Urdim Urvadborush "Urdim Sealrakes". I don't think this has happened before in my game, artifacts tend to have outlandish names like the Socketed Sister or the Stream of Oars.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: February 03, 2011, 01:25:03 pm »

how do you get rid of pebbles to build farm plots on that loccation?
build floor over them and remove it. I think it should work.
that removed the pebbles, but not the obsidian
Also, do I need seasonal irrigation for outdoor farming if I managed to get a farm plot built on constructed floor?
I don't know, but PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU DID THAT. I need it for my 7 Wonders megaproject.
I havent actually tried but it'd probably work with mudding the floor.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Redukt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: February 03, 2011, 01:25:37 pm »

I got overambitious and did too many things at once in my new fort, so the entrance wasn't secure when the first goblin ambush arrived. They got in and slaughtered most of my militia plus some civilians. Not the useless ones, naturally.

What remained of the militia eventually killed the goblins off, and I started sending the unhappier dorfs off to my brand new psych ward to prevent tantruming. While doing this, I saw one of the most disturbing things DF has thrown at me to date: My woodcutter was standing next to his bed looking at a goblin corpse. It was just there. In his bed. Um. What?

For flavor: He is a bit of a loner and a workaholic, without much awareness of his own emotions. He only has passing aquaintances, and is an ardent worshipper of a moon goddess called "the Infinite Whispers". He carries an axe on a daily basis, he claims to be content, and there is a goblin corpse in his bed.

His roommate keeps sleeping in the hospital. Gee, I wonder why.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: February 03, 2011, 01:39:05 pm »

Parts 57 and 58 of my LP are up.

I kind of forgot to post links here so I may have missed some. So if you don't know what's going on, here's a quick summary; goblins are massive pricks and I'm terrible at managing this fortress.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: February 03, 2011, 03:31:01 pm »

It's been engraving time for me. My one lone militawoman has successfully fought off 3 sieges totalling around 40 kills, so her room has been upgraded with engravings, which led to something (which I found) amusing.

Although I haven't been able to locate the original piece, here is the description of one such engraving.

The Stupid Soap. See, it's not just any engraving. It's a masterwork engraving. It's a statement, a dedicated pillar of art and culture and hard work. A vortex of raw emotion. His phenomenal range of skills are tried and pushed to the max; never resting, never ceasing, willing to die...just to say how much he bloody hates soap.
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

killUrist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: February 03, 2011, 03:49:30 pm »

Noramcog, "Relievedboots", is a bustling city with 147 happy walking beards and 138 animals. Treasures include two legendary cooks, 6 miners and a few artifacts - including "The Wooden Kindnesses", a lignite floodgate; Splatteredspiraled, an ashen toy boat and yes, The Year of Gorges, a chalk bracelet.

A barony was awarded last year to the first mayor. After that, a few deaths happened due to missed deadlines. Captain of the guard is now an open position. Not long after that the fresh Baron showed great courage by undertaking an expedition to the caverns, alone! After clearing the caverns of two remaining skeletal dralthas, he heroicly dispached a skeletal troll that had wandered near the fortress. Currently resting in hospital and rejoicing in his new dabbling sword skills.

Goblins have come around a few times, but have been unable to negotiate the long trap-laden 6-z high causeway with two archery towers beside it. Other visitors have been: Atekkiror, Skeletal mountain goat; Rubal, Forgotten beast; seven wolf packs; skeletal blind cave bear, one Ettin and one cyclops, both of whom succumbed to the archer towers with their two elite marksdwarves.

Elves have naturally been robbed twice, but they still come around to trade, silly treehuggers.

The most recent, and maybe only news is this: "A burnt umber fiend diplomat from Cusithpesor has arrived." So, now I know where the demons dwell.
What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: February 03, 2011, 04:13:33 pm »

Hostile Amphibian Men just attacked the fortress for whatever reason. Our 10 man wrestler squad, along with various pet grizzlies, wolves, elephants and bats fought off 7 of the amphibian men and sent the last one running.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #10464 on: February 03, 2011, 04:50:53 pm »

I ragequit when the second year dwarven caravan brought me almost NOTHING. I asked for the same things I always ask for, gave them the same good profit margin as usual, and yet they came back with less goods than an elf and a single donkey. I've never seen that happen before.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: February 03, 2011, 05:07:48 pm »

First thing I see when my new fort finished laoding the embark site?  You have located Imepesaba Fideleithithi, "Waxearthen the Autumnal Ferns", a shrine.

I started panicking there expecting the Titan to just waltz up and set fire to, yes he can breath fire, all my dorfs.  Luckily he seems to be pretty reasonable, I don't go near his home he doesn't go near mine.  Best case scenario he ends up being an extra layer of defense against the inevitable sieges.  Worst case involves dorf barbecue.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: February 03, 2011, 05:09:59 pm »

After nearly a year of peace at Catpaddles, after my last siege, I had... my second siege.  With over 7 pages of mobs NOT counting their mounts.  Luckily now I have a roof on my entire outside section so they can't rain arrows/bolts down on me anymore so they're forced to run into my killzone with traps right into my military.  Last time, when it was only about 40-50 invaders, I lost about 60 Dwarves, mostly civilians.  This time, fighting I think over 100 total hostile mobs, I lost 10 military dwarves but that was it.  I'd call it a resounding success to lose so few since only the useless recruits died while my one armed, one eyes axe dwarf took down 15 things by herself with her copper battle axe. (She grew attached to it, refuses to drop it in favor of a steel one).

Oh well, time to get to smelting/continue digging to try and get to magma.  60 Z levels down, just reached the 2nd cavern so yet to find any.

Speaking of sieges, what's the best way to get rid of all these corpses that won't decay/bugger off?  Set off a dump zone in a pit somewhere?
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10467 on: February 03, 2011, 06:41:44 pm »

My fortress has had a relatively unproductive year.
It's a new one, and I intend to make a megaproject out of it. In the end I want to construct a vast underground city of buildings carved from natural rock and the negative space flooded permanently, and disconnected from the surface by drawbridges that fall into place across a chasm filled with water. It of course has to be finished to the highest degree before I begin flooding it.

I got down to the magma sea and set up the metal/glass works and the interior of one 9x9 tower that will be used to traverse the distances vertically, with tunnels connecting it to the various surrounding structures.

I've dug a moat around the encampment on the surface (the overfort) to keep kobold and goblin ambushes out. I'm about to begin sealing it off entirely by cutting the moat into the mountainside and building walls on the interior of it.

The overfort consists of an 'inn' in the mountainside with a few beds and food and drink stockpiles. It will have an adjacent above-ground farm in a while. The only other structure is the ground level walls of a crafts shop area with 3 stories of underground rooms for housing. I haven't even gotten around to making furniture for the inn or residences, or dugout a dining area under the city, and have no industrial production of goods of any sort.

Also, my hunter just shot a wyvern out of the sky. It exploded on impacting the ground. I can only hope the farmers will butcher each and every piece, leading to something like 10-12 dragon scale hides (which are tougher and more valuable than normal leather.)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:57:02 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: February 03, 2011, 07:36:18 pm »

My fledgeling military of three dwarves (danger-room-trained hammerdwarf, macedwarf, and axedwarf) were able to take out a mountain titan! It was completely unable to hit them and took a while to go down thanks to its scaly hide.

Now a single titan toe is cluttering the butcher's shop all the way to ☼CLT☼. X)

EDIT: The beast ended up giving 244 meat overall. My dwarves will not be starving for a while.

EDIT EDIT: Though it seems they won't have to! A seige arrived, and a random item of clothing was keeping the door propped open. I had orders out to build a wall anyway (trolls) but the goblins were able to swarm in before that wall could be completed. My three-dwarf military performed admirably, but were utterly overwhelmed. I've drafted a good portion of the remaining citizens, but I don't expect they'll be able to do much.

The temptation is to savescum, but I have been legitimately beaten and will take my first defeat like a dwarf. Alas for a bit of clothing and a mason that decided to eat lunch instead of build a life-saving wall!

EDIT^3: Our strength has been broken. The final surviving dwarf: the glassmaker whose beating gave me such joy as the doctor efficiently treated the damage. Rest in peace, Smashy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:59:50 pm by strongrudder »
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: February 03, 2011, 07:59:52 pm »

Apparently the outpost liaison got a little too close to Ezung's shrine so Ezung spat a fireball at him, starting a massive forest fire that just torched a most of the map.  Startin' to think I should just wall off that pyro to prevent any more accidents
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 3842