Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108161 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10410 on: February 02, 2011, 08:53:28 am »

Can't you use the Animal menu to disable the dogs as pets?

I thought that you had to mark animals as "Available" in order to make them available for training....no?
That makes them available for adopting.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: February 02, 2011, 09:56:55 am »

Decided to take on the HFS in Bartorch.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And thus ends the story of Bartorch, Mountainhome of the Lovely Canyon after 24 more or less prosperous years (i failed to reach the 50mil wealth landmark due to my last spoilerstone artifact being eaten by a crash). My now over 100 years old adventurer sets out on a journey to claim the shiny artifact weapons.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: February 02, 2011, 10:52:47 am »

Neat. An elven caravan arrived... and found my woodcutters chopping down every tree on that z-level. Ahahahahahahaha...
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: February 02, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »

That makes them available for adopting.

Well then.  Maybe this should go in the "Facepalm" thread. 

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: February 02, 2011, 12:27:20 pm »

No, no, it's like this.

A demon fort is a pile of slade walls and floors, set into rooms. It's completely empty and the rooms are connected, obviously.

It's almost completely empty, I mean - there is a single masterwork adamantine weapon in it - a short sword, in your case.

As soon as you pull that sword out, and only then, no second earlier, the real HFS stops being H.
D: sweet.

Didn't know that

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: February 02, 2011, 01:28:21 pm »

I'm still limiting my popcap for ease of management.

The first ambush caught me 10 goblins and a bunch of free elf stuff. I now have enough grizzlies to breed them for war. The first litter just came so the future looks promising.

Finally started a military beyond locked doors and cage traps. Everyone was busy, so I recruited my miner and animal trainer. The rope-reed clothing business is absurdly profitable, so I requested and purchased all of their equipment from the mountainhome. They have almoste entirely full outfits of steel (just need a steel shield), and aluminum flasks. I have enough equipment for something like 8 dwarves, so I'm debating a rotating military.

Elves, this time without any nice exotic animals, have basicallynothing of use. I'm really rich though with fabric, so I bought their cages. You can never have too many free cages. Otherwise though, I almost want to slaughter them for uselessness.

I keep hoping I'll get ambushed though. I have a few dozen war dogs and two war grizzlies in cages waiting to be opened. I'm sure those guys are just itching for blood. 
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: February 02, 2011, 01:37:11 pm »

Got attacked by the little monkeys again. This time they ran into the fort and started scratching folks. Unusually aggressive, at least compared to my prior experience.

I'm beginning to develop a forgotten beast club or something in my caverns. The quadruped burning dude, a giant harrier with a trunk, an ivory-haired crocodile, and most recently an eyeless snakefly. Only one of them, a skinless pterosaur, actually came up to fight (and was promptly killed).

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: February 02, 2011, 04:54:33 pm »

Had my fort pinned down by a seige (which eventually got bored and left), and then a Mountain Titan. The giant fire-breathing mole fortunately scared up a pair of goblin ambushes, and helpfully reduced their numbers to about 4 before going down himself. My fledgling military was able to handle the rest. Then the game got stuck somehow inside the Note screen (didn't hang or freeze, just wouldn't let me out) and I had to force-quit. :(

I think for the next time around, I'll be stockpiling some more wood before we do all that hiding-in-our-fortress-waiting-for-the-military-to-be-ready, and use the time to build the zillion bedrooms I need.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:54:48 pm by strongrudder »
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: February 02, 2011, 05:31:06 pm »

A while ago, in one of my early fortresses, I successfully survived my first seige by blocking all the entrances. Of course, I couldn't figure out how to set up my military yet, so I just had to let them hang out. Then, a Desert Titan (my first) wandered onto my map and promptly fell into a lake, evaporating all of the water but trapping itself indefinitely. Then a second seige came and all of my dwarfs starved because I was fascinated by all of my "visitors".

Another time, I had dug into the caverns, and a different desert titan showed up. I went to go fight it, when a troll came out from below and started terrorizing mah dorfs. The two trapped my dudes from both sides, and for some reason nobody could stop either of them. In short, the DT torched everyone in the top half of my fort and the troll beat down everyone else. Then, a bunch of naked mole dogs decided to come up, just for giggles. I abandoned before all of my dwarfs died, simply because I was bored with the whole thing.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: February 02, 2011, 06:17:38 pm »

My first tantrum spiral. From something stupid on my part, too.

So I suddenly decide to set up a fortress guard and a prison.. although I set up the guard before the prison even exists. And the 10 guards are all legendary sworddwarves. Whoops.. Apparently I had failed a mandate earlier, or something, so because of the lack of restraints the guard captain decides to issue a beating. With the edge of his sword. He walks up to the dwarf who is happily engraving everything with the other 80 dwarves and cuts him down. Soon one of the nurses starts to have a tantrum, and is called down to the noble rooms by the mayor to have a meeting. She talks to him a bit, runs out the door to start a fist fight, and soon returns to the mayor's room missing both of her arms and bleeding everywhere. Then she crumples in a pitiful heap in front of him.

Now pretty much all of the lowly surfs are throwing tantrums and losing their arms, and I'm too amused to get rid of the guard at this point. The guard captain is running around killing everyone (including guard members), and everyone is running around punching each other and killing puppies. Suddenly I get a message that my mayor has been struck down.. apparently he was sliced open by the guard captain for something or another, and the captain took the mayor position for himself.

To make matters more hilarious, my gigantic hospital was full to the brim with dying people, so I locked the doors and flooded it with my river-filled well. So now I have an insane fortress guard going around slicing everyone's arms off, a bunch of engravers punching everything, and a flooded hospital filled with floating dead bodies. It's like a dwarven fish tank.

Oh, and before all of this I assigned a bunch of mothers to a squad and sent them into the danger room with their babies. Needless to say, all of the babies were impaled in the plated arms of their mothers.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: February 02, 2011, 06:31:25 pm »

Spring has arrived after a winter of sieges.  But it's too late, there will be no rejuvenation at Tinsabres.  In the last week of Winter, a Forgotten Beast came:

Tofi Idrisa is an enormous quadruped composed of ice.  It has a narrow tail and appears to be emaciated.  Beware its deadly dust!

While my meager 8-man army (the fort was already in decline after a disastrous naga-cleaning episode) was out near the front to finish off the frogmen laying siege, Tofi scrambled into my fort.  Despite the fact that they got there quickly, and got Tofi completely into the red on all 8 components, he's still alive.  His dust IS deadly.  First salvo does nothing, but by the second salvo, everyone inside has bled to death.  Dunno what the deal with that is, considering there isn't even a combat log beyond "Urist McDonefor is caught in a cloud of forgotten beast boiling extract" and then "Urist McDonefor has bled to death".

5 dwarves will starve in the hospital.

This is nice because this is the first time that I didn't cause the destruction of my fort of my own volition!

EDIT: In mid-Spring, 13 migrants came.  I tried to Zerg rush the forgotten beast, but he killed them all!  Two of the hospitalised dwarves had wandered out and were picked off, and now the three remaining patients are miserable, dehydrated, and starving.  My strength has been broken.

EDIT2: I just realised that that one FB killed over 100 dwarves!  Cool!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:05:10 pm by Savolainen5 »
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: February 02, 2011, 06:32:43 pm »

I've got a pretty cool fort. It has one layer of sand, a river encircling the place from three sides, so much dolomite, a dining room mostly in a magnetite cluster, some bedrooms with silver veins through them...

And it keeps crashing.

help
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: February 02, 2011, 07:58:27 pm »

I've got a pretty cool fort. It has one layer of sand, a river encircling the place from three sides, so much dolomite, a dining room mostly in a magnetite cluster, some bedrooms with silver veins through them...

And it keeps crashing.

help

I was getting a ton of crashing too until I stopped changing the default hotkeys. Maybe that's the issue.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: February 02, 2011, 08:16:19 pm »

Oh gods YES.
Along with my danger room, I force my people to swim through 5/7 water to get to my dining room. Everyone has skills in swimming, even though the only water on my map is a brook and some murky pools. I figured it was a precaution that wouldn't ever come into play.
Well, I was chasing down the poor remnants of a siege that beat my newest recruit into a pulp of dark orange wounds when my legendary lasher dodges into a freaking pool. I cry out in frustration and pray for bloody vengeance.
Only he isn't drowning. Confused, I look at his stats...
Competent Swimmer.
HELL YES I AM AWESOME
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:29:26 pm by Crazy Cow »

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: February 02, 2011, 08:59:14 pm »

My weaponsmith finally got to legendary (by making virtually every trap component in the doom mountain that is my fortress entrance) and made me some shiny new masterwork adamantine items! Hooray!

Also, in a recent Goblin attack, one of my Dwarves ended up stuck outside. She started getting chased until she Dwarvenly ran into a dead end. And then... bam! She lops off her pursuer's hand. And then I realized that she was an accomplished miner wielding her pickaxe. Then she runs the poor bastard through and dashes through a squad of them (without getting a single scratch) and kills another unlucky Gob. The rest of them run off, probably thinking that if a lowly miner was that badass, the soldiers would all be identical clones of Chuck Norris or something.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:58:47 pm by StreetPizza »
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 3842