Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108406 times)

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10380 on: February 01, 2011, 02:10:28 pm »

I've started a fortress that's controlled by a secret society of freemasons who have better stuff than everyone else while the average urist lives in filth. Although these people aren't nobles, they're the vital controllers of the fortress. Would be a shame if the brewer decided to trash in his new room average dwarfs, wouldn't it?
Blargh.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: February 01, 2011, 02:12:44 pm »

Okay. Well, I still have much to learn...

The second floor of the entrance fort is made of kaolinite, and the ones above that are made of gypsum, which I have way too much of after excavating a tree farm room. And it isn't very large yet either way... The gypsum floors could have barracks and generally military stuff inside. One of the floors has fortifications on the outside, so if I station some marksdwarves there and raise the drawbridges while goblins wait on the outside pad...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Talikmon

• Bay Watcher
  • Surprise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: February 01, 2011, 02:56:28 pm »

Started in a cold area.  Spent most of the first year burrowing in (but not getting any traps or cages setup) and grabbing some water when the ice melted for a while.  Had just seen the dwarven caravan off when a Sasquatch entered my fort.  At this point I had no military, no traps, no cages and only 18 dwarfs.  I have never encountered one before so I wasn't too sure about the menace level.  After he ripped a poor farmer apart I realised he needed to be contained before I could deal with him properly.  Unfortunately my long tunnel entrance (only thing on the first floor for sealing/safety purposes) which has doors on either end failed me.  One of my other farmers, terrified at the slobbering monstrosity happened to drop a single plump spawn in the door  :'(  By the time my third dwarf dropped he Sasquatch had earned a )(*$#@#$ name for himself.  So I militarize my one miner and give him my war dogs.  He rushes off to..... get some water. 

When they do finally meat the cowardly beast actually turns tail and runs.  The miner and his woof are chasing but failing to close the distance... the bastard is going to get away!  Luck strikes when bigfoot tries to exit the door I still had control over.  I quickly lock it and the yeti is too stupid to head for the spawn-blocked door.  My miner damages his hand and bigfoot runs the other way back into my fort.  They clash again halfway down the passage with bigfoot going yellow on everything.  A few seconds later however and all his wounds have disappeared and gone white again  :o :o

Between the dog nipping at his heels and my miner giving it all hes got it is only enough to keep bigfoot busy but not dead.  So I add 9 more to the squad and they all pile into the fight amidst a thick cloud of miasma.  I imagine it must have been a horrible site from the outside - just the sweaty grunts of stunties bashing away at something that just wont friggin die.  It takes a few minutes of constant bashing for the thing to peg.  All in all, 2 farmers, 2 war dogs and one peasant dead.  Turns out the war dogs did die but the remaining untrained dogs decided to join in.  Only injury sustained amongst the survivors was a single red thumb (the first miner to fight). 

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: February 01, 2011, 03:08:30 pm »

In a moment of creativity, I built a wall around the only entrance to my fort, out of pure bauxite. I then added kaolinite drawbridges leading to distant bauxite wall spots with ramps. This way, everything going into my fort has to pass over at least nine tiles of drawbridge.

Just wait until your goblins turn out to be mounted on giant eagles (or worse).
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: February 01, 2011, 03:09:01 pm »

Well, I started a new fort... Once I hit summer, I decided to check up on my stocks, and what I found was.....

An adamantine short sword.

Now, how the hell did that get there? I haven't even SEEN adamantine, much less mined it. Hell, I haven't even gotten iron yet!

I'm very confused.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: February 01, 2011, 03:17:15 pm »

Well, I started a new fort... Once I hit summer, I decided to check up on my stocks, and what I found was.....

Now, how the hell did that get there? I haven't even SEEN adamantine, much less mined it. Hell, I haven't even gotten iron yet!

I'm very confused.
You have a demon fort some where in your map, get to it and retrieve the sword and the demons will be released.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: February 01, 2011, 03:34:00 pm »

In a moment of creativity, I built a wall around the only entrance to my fort, out of pure bauxite. I then added kaolinite drawbridges leading to distant bauxite wall spots with ramps. This way, everything going into my fort has to pass over at least nine tiles of drawbridge.

Just wait until your goblins turn out to be mounted on giant eagles (or worse).

Now, now. By that time, the wall will be turned into a tall fort of bauxite, kaolinite, gypsum and possibly jet. Raising the drawbridges will seal it hermetically. And one of the floors has fortifications instead of outside walls already, so if I get myself to train marksdwarves...

Many people fell due to not knowing missiles travel z-levels, and I'm going to exploit that.

I'm not sure what will I do with the roof, but still. Maybe I'll put a drawbridge on it too, which when closed will lock it up.
Or maybe I'll use that jet for a pyramid on top. The tower is 11x11 with 3x3 squares extending out of each corner, and there will be barracks inside.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: February 01, 2011, 03:43:53 pm »

I'm very confused.
You have a demon fort some where in your map, get to it and retrieve the sword and the demons will be released.
Oh, there are actual items in the demon forts? Awesome.

Those fuckers are going down.

In about 20 years.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: February 01, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »

No, no, it's like this.

A demon fort is a pile of slade walls and floors, set into rooms. It's completely empty and the rooms are connected, obviously.

It's almost completely empty, I mean - there is a single masterwork adamantine weapon in it - a short sword, in your case.

As soon as you pull that sword out, and only then, no second earlier, the real HFS stops being H.

A Kea has stolen a coke!

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: February 01, 2011, 04:14:31 pm »

So I built a nice little arena on top of a magma pipe.
Whoever wins earns the right to be drowned in lava.
However, once I drop a goblin in, everyone is took scared to go near the pit to drop in the next fighter.
What do?

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: February 01, 2011, 04:17:36 pm »

However, once I drop a goblin in, everyone is took scared to go near the pit to drop in the next fighter.
What do?

Cover the drop hole with hatches. The hatches prevent haulers from seeing the falling goblins, but still allow pitting.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: February 01, 2011, 04:29:03 pm »

What do?

Cover the drop hole with hatches. The hatches prevent haulers from seeing the falling goblins, but still allow pitting.
Much appreciated.

I can't construct the hatches though, because the little bugger is still just chilling down there.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: February 01, 2011, 04:50:51 pm »

Welp, in year 557 of Catpaddles I had my first OMGWTF siege.  Around 40-50 goblins, half markmen, all mounted, with a smattering of trolls.  Luckily the only entrance to my fort is trapped to holy hell and with bends so there's no line of sight until the very end where my military is waiting.

What's that?  The masons never finished the roofs?  They're taking pot-shots at my party area killing everyone and everything?  Well crap.

In the end all the dwarves refused to listen to my Civilian alert and head to the burrow inside the dining hall so I had to send my nice, safe military headfirst into the 20 something marksgoblins and the rest of their squad.  I lost a total of 50 dwarves, out of 205, with only 2 military loses because of this event.  I think I'll wait for my masons to finish the damned roof then make them pull the death lever...
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: February 01, 2011, 04:51:53 pm »

Since the other thread died I'm going to post this here. It belongs here a little better, too, since it's actual logs from DF experiences. Fort experiences from RAW-duping. Still working on the minotaur fort since it hasn't crashed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The11th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: February 01, 2011, 04:58:19 pm »

Aah, my Terrifying!fort is going very well. A werewolf attacked again. I closed all my doors and raised the bridge only to realise... he was INSIDE MY FORT. Oh well, he died pretty quickly. The waterfall is still lovely, and I have a protected outdoor valley I walled off with a large artificial pond/well/drinking source that I can refill using the river. And I have an actual cloth trade! Giant spider silk, yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 3842