Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108399 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10365 on: January 31, 2011, 09:44:59 pm »

I embarked on a sinister, frozen volcano (It's on either tundra, or taiga, I don't remember which) filled with undead. I've never dealt with the undead before mostly due to me putting it off, but thus far the creatures I've dealt with have been surprisingly weak. I just checked the relationships of my expedition leader, and realized my civ is called The Sacrificial Tombs, and their chief diety is Momuz the Fatal Dead, who takes the form of a skeletal female dwarf and is associated with death and rebirth. I find this combination rather fitting, especially considering the terrain my dwarves now find themselves in. As of now, my story is that this is a religious expedition for them to get closer to their god. I think a Megaproject temple is called for.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10366 on: January 31, 2011, 10:19:04 pm »

I embarked on a sinister, frozen volcano (It's on either tundra, or taiga, I don't remember which) filled with undead. I've never dealt with the undead before mostly due to me putting it off, but thus far the creatures I've dealt with have been surprisingly weak. I just checked the relationships of my expedition leader, and realized my civ is called The Sacrificial Tombs, and their chief diety is Momuz the Fatal Dead, who takes the form of a skeletal female dwarf and is associated with death and rebirth. I find this combination rather fitting, especially considering the terrain my dwarves now find themselves in. As of now, my story is that this is a religious expedition for them to get closer to their god. I think a Megaproject temple is called for.

i'm building one right now. There's a thread for design ideas so I can make it more dorfy.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: January 31, 2011, 10:26:22 pm »

i'm building one right now. There's a thread for design ideas so I can make it more dorfy.

Perhaps I'll seek it out for ideas after I'm done with my current semi-mega project, the underground tower of beer. Due either to the providence of the RNG, or to some worldgen settings I tampered with, my cavern is about  twenty zlevels tall in some places. I am building a tower to store food and booze. mostly booze.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: February 01, 2011, 12:01:41 am »

A forgotten beast 6 layers down in my caverns, 4 lower than my bedroom, is freaking out all of my dwarves and they're stuck in an endless loop.
Fun fun.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: February 01, 2011, 01:07:30 am »

Danger room was finished. Several dwarves are injured already because they don't grasp the fact that putting the heavy steel round thing they were given towards the floor stops the wooden pointy things hurtling at them from the holes in the floor.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: February 01, 2011, 02:59:06 am »

My game just went from about 80 FPs to constant stuttering. It runs smooth for a few seconds, then just stops completely.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Ghost bug.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10371 on: February 01, 2011, 03:12:36 am »

Well I added [TRAINABLE] and removed [PET_EXOTIC] for [PET] to Giant scorpions to make mine... well... war trainable.  That didn't seem to work.  Am I missing something here?  (yeah, major editing experience besides my war cows)
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10372 on: February 01, 2011, 03:58:18 am »

Just embarked in a glacial volcano.  Things going okay, but difficult, until suddenly skeletal musk-oxen kill three dwarves, all my miners.  Make that 4...5... 6..

The expedition leader, a woodcutter, is the last dwarf left.  He leaves the safety of the walled-in fortress to recover the used socks of his fallen comrades.  A kitten accompanies him... He finally realises that he should probably leave the socks where they are and construct walls to keep him safe.  He somehow manages this, despite claiming rocks from near the skeletal elk, and walling himself out of the fortress twice - a harsh lesson to learn in this frigid climate...

But he manages, and, clinging to a pick, carves out a new room.  Counting the three plump helmets left, and with no fields to grow others, he sets out to find the last remaining donkey...

Zaneg is his name, and he shall survive

Sod it.  I'm going to play this fortress until Zaneg snuffs it, or migrants arrive...  Well, three brave souls arrived - two gem setters and a fisherdwarf.  They'll help.  Even though one is holed up by a skeletal elk...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: February 01, 2011, 06:49:47 am »

My game just went from about 80 FPs to constant stuttering. It runs smooth for a few seconds, then just stops completely.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Ghost bug.
That's my first inclination as well. That or a REALLY weird pathing issue with cloaked ambushers. But probably ghosts.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: February 01, 2011, 06:58:15 am »

Well I added [TRAINABLE] and removed [PET_EXOTIC] for [PET] to Giant scorpions to make mine... well... war trainable.  That didn't seem to work.  Am I missing something here?  (yeah, major editing experience besides my war cows)

Did you mod the raws under your save? That's where you need to mod things after the fact, I think, rather than the usual raws.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10375 on: February 01, 2011, 12:32:47 pm »

Trog murdered two dorfs. Sent entire population of nine at it. My dorfs got revenge! Also, I found a cavern of an amazing two blocks. Both up/down ramps.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10376 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:00 pm »

Rhesus macaques are a nuisance. Once you transport all your stuff indoors they're less dangerous (to your supplies), but still annoying when they pass your hatch and interrupt dwarf actions. Setting the militia on them is always fun though.

My eight-legged quadruped forgotten beast made of flame is currently cooling down in the lowest level of the first cavern layer, evaporating all the water there at the same time. I don't know what to make of it; I'm not using cavern water right now, or harvesting cavern plants at the moment. Will the water destruction have some long-lasting effect on the ecosystem down there?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10377 on: February 01, 2011, 01:55:46 pm »

Rhesus macaques are a nuisance. Once you transport all your stuff indoors they're less dangerous (to your supplies), but still annoying when they pass your hatch and interrupt dwarf actions. Setting the militia on them is always fun though.Strangely I got some rhesuses right now. These guys are rabid carriers in my game thus they are super annoying.

My eight-legged quadruped forgotten beast made of flame is currently cooling down in the lowest level of the first cavern layer, evaporating all the water there at the same time. I don't know what to make of it; I'm not using cavern water right now, or harvesting cavern plants at the moment. Will the water destruction have some long-lasting effect on the ecosystem down there?Aside from hurting FPS, no.
My broker is banning export of golden goods
My military commander is banning export of tin goods
1 of my captains is banning export of copper and bronze goods
There are no other available metal to export
Good grief.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:57:50 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10378 on: February 01, 2011, 02:00:54 pm »

In a moment of creativity, I built a wall around the only entrance to my fort, out of pure bauxite. I then added kaolinite drawbridges leading to distant bauxite wall spots with ramps. This way, everything going into my fort has to pass over at least nine tiles of drawbridge.

I had my first goblin siege ever here.
A few got eaten by the drawbridges alive.
The rest ran away, and also got a bit attacked by the passing human caravan.

Who needs military?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10379 on: February 01, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »

Who needs military?
Those with a distinguished conscience.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 3842