Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108532 times)

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10350 on: January 31, 2011, 06:23:29 pm »

im not even sure i get how to make it open and close anyways.

Build a level, link lever to bridge then select the bridge :) simples
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: January 31, 2011, 06:25:09 pm »

I'm just doing some maintenance and waiting for some Tigermen so I can build an epic army. And a nekomimi Maid cafe.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: January 31, 2011, 06:33:11 pm »

I've got three now all just chilling my my caverns.

Can anyone point me towards a good guide on how pumps work? I've got a lot of magma that I want to make use of.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: January 31, 2011, 06:44:56 pm »

Just noticed my military commander having a liking to bismuth AFTER he gave a mandate on it. I had to resort to DFReveal to locate some.

EDIT:

Tigermen creeping onto my fort. I think the idea of them opening cages for their friends worse then outright avoid traps.

EDIT2:
Spoiler:  It got worse (click to show/hide)

Oh, that is awesome. You should get a copy of that gamelog.txt to the soundsense folk.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: January 31, 2011, 06:57:51 pm »

As far as I remember, pumps are made of a small percent sign and a large percent sign. The large percent sign is impassable for anything, and you can connect power to it with an axle or summat. The small percent sign is passable. If you tell a dwarf to operate a pump manually, he'll sit on the small percent sign.

When a pump is active either way, the percent signs will turn into old-style division signs, which look like barrels. The pump will decreate a liquid from the square next to the small percent sign, but one z-level lower than the pump itself is on, and recreate the same liquid next to the large percent sign on the pump's z-level. So, the liquid moves one level up and three squares to the side.

A pump stack is made by mining out about 1x4 spaces arranged in a single column, channelling out two of the tiles that are not next to each other, then putting a pump so the small percent sign faces the channelled-out end. Then you add access tunnels connected to a long stairway, and doors.

Due to how pumps work, magma will constantly appear and disappear from the 1x1 spots locked away by the walls and the large percent sign of the pump. This causes the game to constantly recalculate the temperature of the stone, about 7 tiles per z-level, and keep marking and unmarking it as "warm stone", what puts a burden on your FPS. To avoid this, you can extend the 1x1 spots into 3x1 or 3x2 spots, with the 3 dimension being perpendicular to the starting 4x1.

Then after you have about a hundred z-levels of pumps and all that mining jazz, you have to attach several hundred if not a thousand units of power on top of the pump stack.

...I guess. I haven't done this yet, but I've drilled to the magma sea in Dung-Fat the Mystery of Breads (Tiger Shoveth 'im), so I'll be doing that too. The first soil level is wholly made of red sand, so once I pull that off...

INFINITE GLASS

Problem?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: January 31, 2011, 07:24:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: January 31, 2011, 07:27:15 pm »

SO MUCH BLOOD!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: January 31, 2011, 07:38:15 pm »

There would be, but I think you can imagine just how much spreading it does when it gets inside my fort. I have to hackclean the game several times after a normal siege when the dwarves are picking up the equipment.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: January 31, 2011, 07:54:15 pm »

My game just went from about 80 FPs to constant stuttering. It runs smooth for a few seconds, then just stops completely.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: January 31, 2011, 08:02:13 pm »

Do you want us to guess or to read your mind :P?

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: January 31, 2011, 08:40:18 pm »

I just randomly caught a breeding pair of Giant Eagles. Making a short trip to the raws at this very moment.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: January 31, 2011, 08:44:02 pm »

You don't need to re-gen a world to make them tameable?  So I've had about 10 giant scorpions lulling about my statue area because I haven't modded them trainable?
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: January 31, 2011, 09:00:20 pm »

Yep.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: January 31, 2011, 09:07:09 pm »

You don't need to re-gen a world to make them tameable?  So I've had about 10 giant scorpions lulling about my statue area because I haven't modded them trainable?

Pretty much. It's simply adding (or changing, depending on the animal) a tag, so it doesn't require any re-genning to work.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: January 31, 2011, 09:07:26 pm »

... Looks like my military is going to be getting some extra muscle once I get off work.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 3842