Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108606 times)

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10320 on: January 30, 2011, 10:05:15 pm »

The seige I had last night could have gone better. I still need to build my military (hoping to use the dwarves that came with decent combat skills), so I just kept everyone safely walled in and tried to figure out how to make them train. Made the mistake of relaxing the alert in hopes of recovering the bodies of the dead while the goblins milled around at the opposite corner of the map. They closed too quickly and I lost a few more, including my eagle- and alligator-slaying hunter. :(

While I oversaw progress in the danger room, however, I was unexpectedly tickled to find my doctor hard at work, fixing up a dwarf that had been beaten for failing to deliver crystal glass. First time I've needed the hospital in 31.xx. I can't understand why, but I was grinning ear to ear over my doctor doing his job.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: January 30, 2011, 10:11:49 pm »

OH ARMOK, WHY DO THE KOBOLD THIEVES ALWAYS GO FOR THE FEET?!
they have small size and thus it's most easy for them to aim for the feet.
Kobold: 15000
Dwarf: 60000
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: January 30, 2011, 10:35:15 pm »

The Dwarf fortress of Neverbroken stands, although our crypt is growing steadily in size and occupants. The Goblins turn up regularly with enormous forces to beseige us, usually numbering in at least 30+ goblins along with a dozen mounts or so, and a handful of trolls.

Disturbingly, we haven't had a single caravan turn up in over a year, even though we cleared out the last seige fairly quickly (no more tags at the top of the screen).

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10323 on: January 30, 2011, 10:46:40 pm »

EDIT: Game just crashed...guess I've lost this...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:53:57 pm by Garth »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: January 30, 2011, 10:54:36 pm »

Why do the ass beasts always have noxious secretions or toxic breath? Why do we never get any fart-burners?
くコ:彡

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #10325 on: January 30, 2011, 11:25:24 pm »

Just started playing after a hiatus of a few months. Found a kickass embark (4-way river intersection? Yes, please! Oh, it's inside cliffs, too? Dwarf Fortress, you know how to make me feel special!), set up a nice wall on the promontory we spawned on and dug down. Eventually I hope to link the other cliff faces and have living quarters and such there, perhaps link up some guard posts topside, and of course at some point bridge the intersection on all four sides so caravans have no excuse to ignore us. Maybe four separate bridges with a miniproject on a vaulted platform in the center.

Also, first kobold thief, immediately after first hunter found his calling. The kobold thief was crossing the single-tile temporary bridge I had built for convenience and migrant access. While my hunter-turned-marksdwarf missed the target, the kobold dodged right off the bridge, landing smack on the frozen river some 8-10 Z-levels below. The fall didn't kill him, which proved his tenacity and toughness to me such that I no longer wanted to, either. He started to claw his way to safety across the ice by his single unshattered limb (his left arm).

Unfortunately for him, the spring thaw came early that year. In case you ever wondered, no, you CAN'T swim with two broken legs!
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10326 on: January 30, 2011, 11:39:21 pm »

OH ARMOK, WHY DO THE KOBOLD THIEVES ALWAYS GO FOR THE FEET?!
they have small size and thus it's most easy for them to aim for the feet.
Kobold: 15000
Dwarf: 60000

I sure hate kobolds.
Expressions of frustration.
Three invalid dwarves.

--A haiku by Savolainen5
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10327 on: January 30, 2011, 11:56:50 pm »

Got about 15 migrants.

They all got destroyed by a goblin axeman ambush.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10328 on: January 31, 2011, 12:54:20 am »

And nothing of value was lost.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: January 31, 2011, 12:58:31 am »

Welp just got my first seige after getting back into DF after a long time. Considering I've only got one military dwarf of any real ability me thinks that I might have to lock up on this one. Upside is that one of them is mounted on a Cave Crawler so this could be interesting.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10330 on: January 31, 2011, 02:47:16 am »

Embarked on a terrifying 3x3 wooded area.
Gotta say I was expecting it to be harder, 2 year laters and I have stable food/trade/metal production
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: January 31, 2011, 04:13:13 am »

Forest fires have left my cage traps armed with globs of lead, instead of lead cages. I'm curious to find out what will happen when they get triggered.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: January 31, 2011, 04:23:13 am »

Atu the Goblin has spent the last three years living under my bridge.  It's completely sealed with walls on all sides, and the bridge on top - he fell in during a frenzied assault, and I thought he'd starve or die of thirst, or mould, or something...

Nope.  Still fat, too.  He's got 9 squares to pace around in, a tree, a rotten troll's left leg, the skeleton of another goblin, and a pile of giant copper armour and weapons.  I assume he licks dew off the tree.  Or is still chewing on that leg...

I imagine he's got the skeleton dressed up in the troll ware and holds conversations with it...  How come merchants go made after a season locked away, but he's fine?

Also a sad FB, composed of red sand, with wings.  After a panicked scramble of all my squads as he flew over my walls, the first shot with an axe cut it in half...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: January 31, 2011, 05:30:28 am »

Another seige arrived to harrass Slingroared. I locked myself in again, continuing to work on training my military.

Then I noticed them.

Trolls.

I swear they weren't there when I checked the perimeter before. Crap crap crapcrapcrap send someone out to build the final piece of the emergency wall!

I despaired as the trolls rolled in, apparently ignoring the trade depot in favor of the door. They were too close; there was no way I could stop them from getting in. Quickly, I selected one unlucky member of my military squad - newly drafted - to run outside and hopefully buy the mason some time. As he loped down the entrance hall, the mason suddenly sprinted out of nowhere with a huge stone in tow, and in the blink of an eye had the wall up. The troll had actually politely opened the artifact bone door instead of pulverizing it, and stared stupidly at the wall behind it. The cannon fodder dwarf ran headlong into the wall from the other side, sitting around dazed until I canceled the station order.

The trolls and two squads of crossbow goblins are milling around the front door, still without destroying it. I imagine when they give up and leave, they'll smash it just to attempt a tantrum spiral. Sounds like Last Ditch Goblin Tactics 101 to me.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: January 31, 2011, 06:39:33 am »

So 30 Z-levels down, after picking up Dorf Fort not TO long ago, I finally found my first cavern.  Admittedly I found it because my dwarf went stark raving mad and fell down a hole I cut in the floor.  So... I wonder how much fun I'm about to have.  I cut an entry tunnel so I only have one easy entrance to it... and lined it full of serrated discs, discarded weapons, and spiked balls in preparation of what might come.  However seeing an underground river where I can FINALLY have constant, running water instead of my above ground pools that stay dry 3 out of 4 seasonsand the underground trees and shrubs are making me salivate.

If nothing else I got 50 iron clad dwarves ready and waiting if my hallways of doom doesn't stop whatever might come.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 3842