Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108727 times)

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10305 on: January 30, 2011, 01:58:31 pm »

Huge amounts of fortress are being flooded because I needed to empty the water due to unforseen problems.  Thats ok though most of the affected areas were planned to contain water in the future, except the stair wells.   Also its not all floored so trees will grow but Im running out anyways.

The reason I have to empty my newly built cisterns that have taken 25 years to get in working order is because I smoothed two wall pieces instead of building them and didn't notice when I filled it with purified water.  The wells designated to draw from it don't read as water sources :( .  Also I tried removing some of the water and replacing the walls and refilling but it is still not a water source.  Hopefully emptying the entire thing and refilling it will fix it.

In other water related problems I accidentally opened up an aquifer (salt) from below, not realizing that they produce water from ceiling tiles below.  I blocked that off in time though, although it's really going to mess up the digging project.

Also I replaced my mayor, locked him and his friend in the dungeons and dehydrated them to death.  The mayor deserved it and the other was tantruming.  There's no room for any of that in my fort anymore.  Unless its a legendary mason or metal worker of some sort.  Then it's ok.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: January 30, 2011, 02:38:16 pm »

Ooh, I finally have something to talk about.

My previous fort ended... well, it broke a bit before due to a complex accident including an aquifer, channelling and freezing, or so. That was the first time I've ever seen a tantrum-throwing dwarf, to be honest.
So, seeing as the fort was like that, I made it an exploratory fort.
That was the first time I've seen a Nether-cap and the magma sea and an underground lake and a Blood thorn...
And cotton candy.
I mined out three z-levels of it.
Unfortunately, only two were HFS-safe. Goddamnit, the top of the candy bunch was only barely sticking out of the third cavern's floor...
First lost fort, first time seeing clowns, lots of genuine Fun, as the previous forts were so boring I just saved them and never came back to the savefiles.

Then.
The next fort, one of those loaded ones... I think it's my second fort ever, from before the time I figured out I could mine out a room next to a pond then breach the wall dividing them to get a perfect farm plot location... anyway. That was my first time seeing a Giant. I kind of panicked, seeing as I still don't know how to set up a military...

Maybe this first. My embark is a 4x4 location. It has a shorter peak, made mostly of slate, in the northwestern corner. It has a higher plateau, made of probably similar stuff like shale and schist, in the northeastern corner. It has a small amount of a river in the southwestern corner. The southeastern corner is boring, being a bit lower up than the lower peak. The rest is just the hill's slope.

Anyway, the Giant, Musor OspluosMod Zukogok (the last part means "the Dominant Syrup), appeared in the southwestern corner. I pulled the levers raising the drawbridges to shut the fortress off temporarily, but my newest entrance on top of the plateau didn't have one yet. So I scrambled to make a squad of someone claiming to be a macedwarf and all my miners, see. The giant went to that entrance, a 3x3 grid of staircases surrounded by a 11x11 incomplete hollow square of walls, then went downstairs and through a short corridor to a large room filled with 2/7 and 3/7 water. I'm not sure what the room is for. It's too large to be a farm plot. I suppose I'll just let stuff grow in the mud there.
In the waterlogged room, the Giant grabbed a Skilled Mason, which was on his way to finish building the walls up there. He was grabbed by his tooth or something.

After several pages of being strangled, this happened

Some animal dissector took ages to haul 11523 weight units of a corpse to a stockpile somewhere in the lower peak. Now, you guys could help me...

1. How do I get a butcher to obtain something from the corpse? That is, if I can do it at all... There is a butcher's shop on the same z-level, and pretty close too, linked with diagonal corridors to keep miasma in.
2. I've got a group (HoM&M group-sized group, so 10-19) of hostile Batman blowgunners in the first cavern level. I've dug a long corridor leading to close to their spot. Now, if I line it with traps, will it be enough or should I finally lern2military? And if traps will suffice, then what kind should I use? I don't really have a metalworking industry or a glassmaking one at all yet... so, will wooden corkscrews or spikes be enough? I think I could make a simple repeater using the fact I have a river down there, so spikes could work... Or I could use drawbridges somehow. Stone is one thing I have lots of.

Anyway, I really could do with lots of advice - even though I read the Wiki and the forums quite a lot, there's still this I have to ask about...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: January 30, 2011, 02:48:31 pm »

1. How do I get a butcher to obtain something from the corpse? That is, if I can do it at all... There is a butcher's shop on the same z-level, and pretty close too, linked with diagonal corridors to keep miasma in.
Just have them butcher the corpse. Put it in a nearby refuse pile (or just assign a refuse pile under it) and the butcher (who should have free time to do the job, right?) will go and cut it up.
2. I've got a group (HoM&M group-sized group, so 10-19) of hostile Batman blowgunners in the first cavern level. I've dug a long corridor leading to close to their spot. Now, if I line it with traps, will it be enough or should I finally lern2military? And if traps will suffice, then what kind should I use? I don't really have a metalworking industry or a glassmaking one at all yet... so, will wooden corkscrews or spikes be enough? I think I could make a simple repeater using the fact I have a river down there, so spikes could work... Or I could use drawbridges somehow. Stone is one thing I have lots of.
Militia for you my friend. If you want the benefits of the caverns a militia is a must. Cage traps are nice though. Repeating spikes will harm your own dwarves too. So use traps, giant corkscrews are nice. Drawbridges are for wussies  :P

Anyway, I really could do with lots of advice - even though I read the Wiki and the forums quite a lot, there's still this I have to ask about...
in bold above.
take your time. I estimate I've lost at least 387 forts.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: January 30, 2011, 02:53:18 pm »

I was recently visited by a forgotten beast composed of flame. It appears to be emaciated. That's not the weird part, no. The weird part is that it is an eight-legged quadruped.

FAKE EDIT:Upon further research, it would make sense if four of the eight legs are vestigial or otherwise not used for walking. And I thought I had something interesting too...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: January 30, 2011, 03:01:21 pm »

how did it not die yet? what climate?
I'm guessing if it touches water it's gonna suicide. plus if ya kill it just send in your worst guy to punch it - I think he'll only be slightly scorched.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: January 30, 2011, 03:02:52 pm »

Skulking flith. Skulking flith. Skulking flith. Snatcher. Skulking flith. Snatcher. Snatcher. Skulking flith.
Oh, a kobold master thief survived and is running away.

A vile force of darkness has arrived.
Curse the friends of nature.
A vile force of darkness has arrived.

Okay everyone set to the emergency burrow and...
Best military dwarf?
What are you doing?
Hello?
Are you... are you chasing that thief?
Didn't you notice the stranglers and tigermen and elfes, the angry flood converging toward you? Come back inside? Please?
Urist McHatethieves has bled to death.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: January 30, 2011, 03:07:37 pm »

An ambush! Skulking vermin! 6 kobold bowmen(bowbolds?). They sprang from ambush on the upper levels of my fort, surprising my Spearmaster as he came around a corner. 

The little idiots never knew what hit them.
Stukos Silverytunnels, The Revered Elder-present needs to lay off the killing, my other soldiers can hardly get a hit in these days.

Year 3 of Hammerbones is nearly over. Finally got my farms set up in the cavern. 4 children have been born, bringing the population up to 21. Bedrooms and most workshops are now on the lower levels of the fort. Still clearing out stone from the stockpiles. By the end of next year I'll be able to finally abandon the upper fort.

Made dark gnomes tameable, I now have a half dozen tame dark gnome children running amok in the living area of the fort.  Still no coal or f-ing iron. *sigh*
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: January 30, 2011, 03:13:50 pm »

I'm guessing if it touches water it's gonna suicide. plus if ya kill it just send in your worst guy to punch it - I think he'll only be slightly scorched.

Temperate climate IIRC. It's in the caverns, but in a hidden area so I don't know if it can go anywhere. My caverns are kinda weird like that, tons of vertical space compared to my previous fort, and inaccessible ledges all over the place.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: January 30, 2011, 03:19:41 pm »

1. How do I get a butcher to obtain something from the corpse?

Most likely, you can't.  Vanilla ethics won't allow you to butcher any creature that is [CAN_SPEAK] or [CAN_LEARN] and this includes giants.  It will remain a skeleton for a number of years and then disappear.  If the skeleton is underground, it may never disappear.  There's been reports of subterranean bones never decomposing, as opposed to above ground bones that take ~10 years to disappear.

You can mod the ethics if you want to regen the world, and change [MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT] to ACCEPTABLE, that allows you to turn any corpse into totems, bone bolts, decorate with bone, etc.  And [EAT_SAPIENT] also if you want to make Goblin Roast.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: January 30, 2011, 03:23:16 pm »

oh yeah, that's a giant... no cheese unless you mod.

Temperate climate IIRC. It's in the caverns, but in a hidden area so I don't know if it can go anywhere. My caverns are kinda weird like that, tons of vertical space compared to my previous fort, and inaccessible ledges all over the place.
just try a cat or 5.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: January 30, 2011, 03:25:25 pm »

Squee I've been sigged!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: January 30, 2011, 03:57:32 pm »

NOW you tell me, guys?

(the coffin is the resting place of the same mason that was killed by the former giant lying next to a stylish kaolinite block butcher's shop)

...well, whatever. I've got two unicorns and a deer to butcher anyway, and some former mountain goats already started rotting...

I'll start making those wooden corkscrew&cage traps in the caverns to obtain Batmen, then maybe look into militia...

EDITty: A three-year old just made an artifact maple scepter with an image of a five-pointed star in fox bone and spikes of giant cave spider silk.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:59:46 pm by Minnakht »
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: January 30, 2011, 06:43:12 pm »

A cyclops came. I figured out how do I draft a bunch of randomly chosen people preset into squads before and sent them to beat it to death... they succeeded, somehow. The report is 55 pages long, so I don't quite know what happened...

Hey, if I drop those corpses from a really good height, will they shatter into bones? I've got a legendary Bone Carver and he goes through the little bones from hunted down animals way too fast, even when I tell him to use the horns, skulls and hooves too...
A Kea has stolen a coke!

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: January 30, 2011, 06:45:30 pm »

I finally set up my 5x5 room of Death with my death lever in the middle.  Request Slade good, Mr. Baron?  Please, pull the lever.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: January 30, 2011, 09:38:31 pm »

OH ARMOK, WHY DO THE KOBOLD THIEVES ALWAYS GO FOR THE FEET?!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 3842