Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109276 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10155 on: January 25, 2011, 11:44:22 pm »

Sad days.  The dwarven caravan arrived with much needed booze and weapons and armour.  Or so I thought.  I was wondering what was taking so long, and I saw that only one merchant had spawned, and he seems to have died as soon as he spawned.  What a shame.  His donkey was wandering.  Didn't even have that much good stuff with him...  :'(
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: January 26, 2011, 12:09:17 am »

In my fortress, I'm currently freeing up metal bar stockpile space to make room for a massive round steel production.  I tried making crafts and furniture out of the metals I didn't need, but it wasn't worth the fuel and the time to train them, and I'm not in the mood for a metal-based megaproject.  The final solution: stud EVERYTHING with EVERYTHING- this doesn't require fuel, adds to fortress wealth, "converts" bought/stolen/looted items into owned items, and trains otherwise-idling haulers into (moodable) metalcrafters. In addition, my militia is now the most fabulous army in existence. 

"This is an exceptional steel breastplate.  It is studded with superior quality iron, well-crafted copper, superior-quality lead, finely-crafted silver, superior quality gold, superior quality rose gold, well-crafted black bronze..."

Inspiration Edit: I just realized what I should do with all those gems I have laying in my quantum storage dump.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:12:28 am by GuudeSpelur »
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: January 26, 2011, 02:47:14 am »

I found adamantine for the first time since playing dwarf fortress. Praise the miners!

Do you know what time it is Mister Wolf?
No Horatio, what time is it?
I believe it's
 8)
Adaman-time.
YEEAAAAH!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: January 26, 2011, 04:27:26 am »

Drunkenbridges survives, with over 2000 booze - I set a magma forge on Barrel [R] and the brewers on Brew [R] and didn't look there for two days...

There's a goblin trapped under the bridge, out of atom smashing range but trapped.  And he's only got one arm.  Hope he dies of thirst soon, although I have a feeling goblins don't need food or water.

And my militia commander has just mustered for duty with three splinted limbs.  That's commitment.

Also had the worse ambush ever - four kobolds leapt out at a human merchant, and the one guard killed them all. At least I'll get a good price for their loincloths...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: January 26, 2011, 04:32:41 am »

Drunkenbridges survives, with over 2000 booze - I set a magma forge on Barrel [R] and the brewers on Brew [R] and didn't look there for two days...

There's a goblin trapped under the bridge, out of atom smashing range but trapped.  And he's only got one arm.  Hope he dies of thirst soon, although I have a feeling goblins don't need food or water.

And my militia commander has just mustered for duty with three splinted limbs.  That's commitment.

Also had the worse ambush ever - four kobolds leapt out at a human merchant, and the one guard killed them all. At least I'll get a good price for their loincloths...

I tossed a goblin into a sealed room and left him there for a year. No starvation or thirst, so I blieve your suspicions are correct.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: January 26, 2011, 06:05:40 am »

The dwarven caravan entered the silent courtyard of Hatchetminds, a thick miasma of rot filled their nostrils. To their left, the bloated corpse of a giant pink crocodile festered in the sun, to their left, the assorted bits and pieces of a fire breathing giant raven and some sort of undeterminate quadroped lay.

The charred corpse of a small rodent sat near the trade depot, still smoldering. The guild trader motioned silently, and all present put their hands on the hilts of their weapons. They prepared to flee at any moment.

A great shout could be heard, and in seconds, dozens of filthy, half-naked, scraggly urchins flew forth, bearing treasures unimaginable. Gold, platinum, silver, exotic gems, rare works of art, and piles, so many piles, of delicate sweetmeats, all of them daintily arranged in enormous bins for presentation. The vast orgy of consumerism continued for weeks on end as every last bauble created in the last year was paraded before the greedy eyes of the caravaneers. At the end of the bargain, everything delivered was purchased, and yet more lay hidden in the storehouses beneath. The one they knew as "The Manager" would make sure that even more was available the next year, under one simple quid pro quo.

Ah yes, Hatchetminds will have a countess this winter.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: January 26, 2011, 07:34:52 am »

Raw adamantine! Praise the miners!

And then I found the hollow part...

Except [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:100] so the hollow part is way higher than it should be. I checked with reveal - I've got 36 more levels of unrevealed hollowness before striking the delicious gooey center.

EDIT: Thank you Urist! But our death is under another tube!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:01:23 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: January 26, 2011, 08:25:16 am »

Am gaining proof that FBs can hear you digging. Beware.

Also - wish I could get these pools of knockout formula cleaned up. Every dwarf in the fort is constantly washing themselves off at the well, leaving new puddles that knock out the next sap wanting to clean themselves. Rinse and repeat.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: January 26, 2011, 08:48:30 am »

Two tigerman walked onto my map. I think I'm gonna build a wall around the map with cage traps at one or two entrances to catch animals. Hopefully humans can master the art of taming animals other than cats and dogs.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #10164 on: January 26, 2011, 03:08:21 pm »

finally after over a month of real time playing various forts... a weaponsmith claimed the forge!

i presents you Likotilral, "The Inky Treaty"(WTF), an iron spear encircled with band of iron!

Nothing exceptional, but it's my first artifact weapon! :)

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: January 26, 2011, 03:13:19 pm »

Yay a Iron Spear , horaaay , put it into a showcase , that would be *almost* everithing it could do appart from the fact that one hit into the upper body would STAB the heart ( hopefully or atleast do good DMG to it)
Desu

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: January 26, 2011, 03:36:25 pm »

My speardorfs actually do pretty well at delivering the killing blows to any goblin or troll who passes out, granted they just got the 2nd artifact adamantine spear out of project everyone who's not more than a novice at anything makes bolts.
And also... *drumroll*
SUCCESS:
This is now the 4th age my world experiences and the first time it actually changed while playing fortress mode (and not on starting a new fort). Other three were the usual myth legends heroes.
I'm gonna keep this fort running for a bit but I'll have to end it in about 20 years lest my retired adventurer dies of old age on being reactivated.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: January 26, 2011, 04:17:10 pm »

Well I finally learned the answer that (used to be at least) contested, if you leave a sentient corpse long enough it will turn into bones.  I have Slugman bones now even though normally I cannot butcher them, at least unless I've been mistaken before.

-MB

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: January 26, 2011, 04:26:49 pm »

Correct, but you have to queue "Butcher dead animal" on the butcher shop, and it cannot be on repeat because a corpse is destroyed on butching.  So, managers help with mass-skeletons.

This is a masterfully made Goblin skull totem.  It is masterfully adorned with Goblin bones.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: January 26, 2011, 04:29:06 pm »

Gottcha, I've had nothing special ordered with the butchers though (just set to normal 'butcher automatic' thing), I guess it just worked automatically, I noticed somebody carrying a slugman corpse inside my base and upon investigation it was just the bones (seven, to be exact, guess slugs have bones..).  I remember in the past there was some debate over whether or not this actually happened.

Anyways, aside from that my fort is growing (lost the last one to a glitch) and will hopefully survive better then the past one was doing (Even before the glitch It was going.. Poorly..)..

-MB
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 3842