Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109574 times)

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10095 on: January 24, 2011, 10:02:34 pm »

This is what's going on in my fort...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll let you connect the dots
You had a fell mooder kill a ghost.
SO HARDCORE.
EDIT: Damn ninja

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10096 on: January 24, 2011, 10:35:25 pm »

Got sieged by Frogmen and White Tigermen (using Fort Defense II) at the same time, my military was outnumbered and mostly outgunned (hadn't finished equipping them all, about half had weapons and armor, the other half.. Not so much.. Most weren't trained terribly well yet, I don't use the danger room exploit), decided we had to play it right, lured the tigermen into our courtyard and slammed the floodgates shut so we could at least try to divide and conquer, while we eventually won the fight with only a handful of casualties the vast majority of my military is badly wounded as are many civilians (several Tigermen got into my fort during the fray).

All the Frogmen (and a war Jaguar the leader is riding) remain but are thankfully held outside of the gates.  We are safe, but trapped, until we get my military patched up. 

My plan is to try to get as many of my soldiers on their feet as possible by the time the next caravan comes, hopefully between their soldiers and mine we can take care of the Frogmen before another siege comes.

For now, we are trapped in a blood drenched fortress with many wounded.

-MB

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10097 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:30 pm »

If froggies arent ranged, you can take time sniping them using tigermen's bones.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10098 on: January 24, 2011, 11:39:19 pm »

Well, the Frogmen retreated and a caravan arrived.  They didn't have anything we needed terribly badly (aside from some thread, I wish you could convert cloth to thread..) but it was nice to stock up on food..

It was very busy but we are getting my military patched up again (lost one to infection, but the rest seem to be healing).. However then came what I suspect will end up being a death blow.  Three White Tigermen squads arrived all lead by weapon lords (bah..), between thirty and forty of them overall.  I sealed the door with the traders inside (don't know how they'll take it, but its that or let the enemy in too early and die).  Now I'm terribly outnumbered by fairly strong enemies (for the stage of the game I'm at at least) still with about half my military in shambles.

The good news is I have supplies galore, tons of food and booze, water for the injured (or if the booze runs dry), a fair amount of wood (I am not using magma for production, wanted more of a challenge) and plenty of gear.

I think I'll take the advice of the above and set up some of my soldiers as crossbowmen and prop them up on the walls to try to take down and/or drive off the Tigermen (I was gonna try to not rely on crossbowmen but it seems necessary at this point).  I have a decent amount of bones already as well as several animals to slaughter if I need to get more (you cannot slaughter Tigermen since they are sentient).

I'm gonna fight to the bitter end, I can hold out for a while with the supplies I have but all that is keeping evil at bay is a set of floodgates (another rule I always use is I am not allowed to completely wall/drawbridge myself off), if something shows up that can bash through them I'll be in real trouble.

-MB

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10099 on: January 25, 2011, 12:29:45 am »

You sure about that? IIRC all FD creatures are not sentient. The traders will leave your fort through the cavern if you have access to it.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10100 on: January 25, 2011, 12:32:24 am »

I'm testing my flooder.
there go all the useless migrants. it worked...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10101 on: January 25, 2011, 12:56:49 am »

You sure about that? IIRC all FD creatures are not sentient. The traders will leave your fort through the cavern if you have access to it.

Well.. They didn't butcher the corpses (and there were free people to do so and they butchered the stranglers earlier without issue so I know all my options are set right) so I figure not.. But maybe there was some variable I missed.

Two more dwarves died from infection but the rest appear to be doing a little better, got a small squad of crossbow dwarves gearing up to see if I can tilt the odds back to my favor.

-MB
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:00:14 am by Mickey Blue »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10102 on: January 25, 2011, 02:01:27 am »

My fortress is in that stage where everybody has three or four jobs to cover for their dead comrades. 
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: January 25, 2011, 06:12:10 am »

Note to self - lead cages are not useful trap materials in a world prone to forest fires.

Also - I have like 100 frogs stuffed in a cage I am afraid to open for fear of frogsplosion. At least I got rid of the cats (and ferrets) early. :D
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10104 on: January 25, 2011, 07:19:59 am »

"Ma'am! Only goblin bowmen are left and some trolls! They got smarter since last time and won't advance through the Labyrinth of Carnages! And they still have an alarming amount of ammo..."
"You know what that means. LAUNCH THE THERMONUCLEAR WARDOG BOMB!"

10 seconds later:

"Yeah, so we seem to have attached most of the war dogs at strategic places and have forgotten to fill the cage with a number of dogs fit for a thermonuclear bomb. We were too busy with the Forgotten Beasts, pondering whether to throw the hydra their way or not, to bother about the canines."
"Oh, for Armok's sake."
"We still have one professional meatshield. Do you remember? That random guy you didn't like, the only one who got enrolled in the Montainous Rims..."
"Well, what are you waiting for? Tell him there's a sock adorned with menacing spikes of whatever he likes in the middle of the labyrinth."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:23:53 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10105 on: January 25, 2011, 09:37:35 am »

Started a new fort, and about four frames in I somehow struck candy. Yes there was a small pond with no wall inside of the volcano. As the tasty cotton candy only lies 63 z levels down, it should be pretty easy to get to.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10106 on: January 25, 2011, 09:52:42 am »

save please?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10107 on: January 25, 2011, 10:41:07 am »

I'll try (pm me with instructions how). Forgot how cave-ins work and now I'm out one miner. Should be glad the dust didn't launch him into the lava. Thanks be to Armok that the hospital works, he's being taken care of and should easily recover. Lots of obsidian, enough to construct a real fortress out of it.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: January 25, 2011, 11:12:09 am »

Part 55 of my LP is up.

Enough with the damn forgotten beasts. I'm getting swarmed by the things. Even if they aren't doing as much damage as one might expect, they're still a pain to deal with. Plus it's only a matter of time until one comes carrying an instant death syndrome.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10109 on: January 25, 2011, 11:29:21 am »

Did you actually build Reveredtour on a FB nest, and these are the moms trying to rescue their unholy spawn?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 3842