Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 666 667 [668] 669 670 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109936 times)

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10005 on: January 22, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »

I finally got over being depressed over losing Reveredpapers so pathetically and decided to set off once again.  I decided to gen a new world since I got tired of seeing aquifers every other step and found a place I liked.  I've only just begun my expedition and I don't remember the name of my fort-to-be... but time to STRIKE THE EARTH!
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10006 on: January 22, 2011, 10:28:35 pm »

Just lost 3 of my 5 miners due to dwarven clumsiness when they were carving a staircase next to the hole I have over my sewer system. They're not dead yet, but they have broken legs and broken arms. They're in water that is alternating between 5/7 and 4/7, so I'm kind of hoping I can have a chance to save them. 2 of them are unconscious. Although I guess that a haunted sewer is a pretty cool feature for any fort to have, and one of them is my expedition leader. So it could make for a cool story if it gets engraved. My plan to save them involves draining the sewer into the mouth of the nearby volcano. It should create a nifty obsidian cap that I can use for future construction projects. I only hope it doesn't disrupt my magma industry.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 10:43:31 pm by johnny_cat »

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10007 on: January 22, 2011, 10:42:40 pm »

All my dwarves are trying to leave to get a drink from the river.
But these 4 goblins stuck in channels around my fortress keep scaring them off.

I've got like 70 dorfs just running back and forth right outside my fort.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10008 on: January 22, 2011, 10:49:51 pm »

I just got my fort's first artifact - a chalk mechanism named The Dragon of Wealth.

We at Balancelashes have also begun steel production. We will place a few steel serrated discs in weapon traps at the gate, in an effort to protect the fort from the elves. Eventually there will be cage traps everywhere and an arena will be built.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 10:54:31 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Knomez

• Escaped Lunatic
  • fights without traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10009 on: January 22, 2011, 10:50:57 pm »

A giant eagle flew in and started throwing dwarves down my main central staircase.  Its open air and 23 z levels deep.
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10010 on: January 22, 2011, 11:11:59 pm »

Well... I just found out that the value of steel has been severely nerfed. My exceptionally crafted steel warhammer is only worth 3 units of gold apparently. I really needed that to trade for food and booze.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10011 on: January 22, 2011, 11:50:42 pm »

I smell a bug.

EDIT: The elves seem to have taken the bait. Ambush #1 just killed a kobold that was making off with one of my soldiers' shoes (that he never put away).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:56:44 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #10012 on: January 22, 2011, 11:56:32 pm »

Playing Genesis Mod, My newly appointed Baroness and old steel dorf hunter, 'Steel Kogsak' Laboredhelps had given birth to a baby girl (Mafol Reveredpost) shortly before being officially promoted to the position of Baroness. A little while after ascending to her new position, the Baroness (who had been in a lousy mood due to the aftermath of a goblin ambush in during a rare lull between the relentless werewolf sieges) had gone for her first leisurely walk outside in years (i.e., I had set her on hunting duty) when out of the blue, an eagle swoops down and kills the weeks old baby-girl. It did not, however, get away with this transgression, as the vengeful baroness shot it down with her shiny new sun gold crossbow. She then went on to organize a party in celebration of the death of the newly-named menace Brushnations.

(All this happened while I was away from the computer, so I actually had to do a bit of detective work to figure out what had happened. Also, a forest spider mortally wounded one of my numerous war boars before it was itself struck down.)

I am now in the middle of lockdown (again) as another massive werewolf siege entertains itself by reaming the asses of both demon and mindflayer ambush parties, as werewolves are apparently all but fireproof. (Seriously, my half-savannah/half-wasteland embark is periodically engulfed by raging flames that do naught but slightly inconvenience those fuckers. Stupid effing demon warlocks probably can't even wipe their asses without setting everything on fire.)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10013 on: January 22, 2011, 11:58:01 pm »

Quote from: EvilFuzzy9
Stupid effing demon warlocks probably can't even wipe their asses without setting everything on fire.

To the sig!

EDIT: Two squads down, 5/6 traps clogged with corpses. This isn't looking as good as it should be. I can probably finish my military's axes and mail shirts before the rest show up, and then it's just a matter of letting them out.

EDIT2: Welp, there goes the bait mule.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:43:54 am by Urist Imiknorris »

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10014 on: January 23, 2011, 12:16:47 am »

decided to try embarking near a haunted swamp.
We were massacred by beakdogs before we could dig a hole to put our food in.
starting over again now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:23:11 am by Poindexterity »
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10015 on: January 23, 2011, 12:35:26 am »

2nd goblin ambush came in.
I still only have 1 squad (derp) but a tooon of traps setup.

Sadly, I was in the middle of cutting a bunch of wood so all of my dwarves want to go out and get it.
How can I keep them in my fort? I remember in previous versions there was some kind of order for keeping all dwarves inside, but I can't see to find it in 2010.

All and any help is appreciated.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10016 on: January 23, 2011, 12:37:39 am »

You can set dwarves to ignore wood with o-w.

The "Dwarves stay inside" command was removed with the introduction of the burrow system. Make a burrow that contains the entire fort, then go to the alerts menu (m-a) and select the burrow in the list on the right.

EDIT: MIIIIIIIIGRANTS! Maybe you idiots can reveal the rest of the ambushes for me.

EDIT2: The Jungle Titan Mingkil Gulnaskenis has arrived! An enormous one-eyed starling. It has a short trunk and it moves about carelessly. Its emerald feathers are long and sparse. Beware its deadly spittle!

Those migrants are so thoroughly screwed now, as if they weren't dead enough already.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:55:18 am by Urist Imiknorris »

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10017 on: January 23, 2011, 12:52:58 am »

My markdwarfs have no ammunition. The hell.
My hunter has like 100 bolts in the military screen, and I've got a ton stockpiled.
How can I add them to my squad of choice?

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10018 on: January 23, 2011, 01:12:29 am »

Before I get started on a megaproject, can you guys answer some questions?

1. Can retracting bridges over open space support ramps? Paved roads can float, are walkable, and presumably allow for buldings to be built upon them. Hooray!

2. Can the wall made from a vertical drawbridge allow a ramp to connect to upper levels?

If the answer to both of these is yes, a multi-z-level floating fortress is possible (through the power of bugs!).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:19:23 am by NSQuote »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10019 on: January 23, 2011, 01:26:02 am »

Before I get started on a megaproject, can you guys answer some questions?

1. Can retracting bridges over open space support ramps? Paved roads can float, are walkable, and presumably allow for buldings to be built upon them. Hooray!

2. Can the wall made from a vertical drawbridge allow a ramp to connect to upper levels?

If the answer to both of these is yes, a multi-z-level floating fortress is possible (through the power of bugs!).

No and no. You also cannot construct things on roads.

The elves are fighting the titan. Mass death is happening.

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's another half page of elf swordmen beyond that. The titan is not on that tile.

EDIT2: Titan down. No elven casualties. This worries me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:31:47 am by Urist Imiknorris »

Pages: 1 ... 666 667 [668] 669 670 ... 3842