Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110182 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9945 on: January 21, 2011, 12:25:37 am »

There appear to be two Forgotten Beasts lacking upper bodies. I think the map cut them in half upon arriving at the site.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: January 21, 2011, 12:38:35 am »

Rotting flesh doesn't hold together very well.

True, but many, many tons of it can pose a problem.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: January 21, 2011, 12:43:10 am »

My Orbital Defense System turned out to be too small to actually kill invaders... I'm mortified: my Mega-Project was too small. It only dropped 140 units of Magma in the first second, which allowed the opponents to flee before they could be set on fire. I'm rebuilding it now, using 10x10 Retractible Drawbridges instead of Hatches... the Mark-2 version will be able to drop 3,500 units of Magma in the first second. This time, for SURE.

... if brute force isn't working... you aren't USING enough.
Never pet a burning dog.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: January 21, 2011, 10:40:08 am »

My Orbital Defense System turned out to be too small to actually kill invaders... I'm mortified: my Mega-Project was too small. It only dropped 140 units of Magma in the first second, which allowed the opponents to flee before they could be set on fire. I'm rebuilding it now, using 10x10 Retractible Drawbridges instead of Hatches... the Mark-2 version will be able to drop 3,500 units of Magma in the first second. This time, for SURE.

AAAND Sigg'd!
I'm building an intricate flooding system.
That kills building destroyers too.
That works on fliers too.

Aand... I'm at war with the goblins.
Not just red lines. I mean WAR.

Fuck. Well at least I've got a nice waterfall and loads of streams...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: January 21, 2011, 11:40:53 am »

just recently started a new fortress after a year or two break, so far im on my second year, spring... or summer, elves are anyway leaving soon and my first dwarf just got strange mood. Pity that he was a clothier. he requested 3 fiber clothes, thread and metal bar. i hadnt any metal business yet so i had to quickly assemble a smelter and dig some gold because i had found a vein earlier and i didnt want to use my iron ores for that. after a while construction he finished his construction. Lo and Behold Adshelred "Suntrances" the pig tail fiber right glove. it has image of dwarves labouring in gold. it relates to founding of my fortress... cool, a glove.

Imo this latest version is a bit easier than 40d was. i already have around 50 - 70 dwarves and im struggling to dig rooms for every dwarf... in fact, i havent got time to build any rooms for any of my dwarves yet. im a bit lazy doing that :P
I should also organize some military soon before any ambushes or sieges. too bad there arent that many peasants as earlier, they would make an excelent wrestlers... or titan fodders, what ever.

EDIT: and now my game crashed. good thing is that i saved just before that artifact was created, which was couple of ingame days ago or so.
EDIT2: curses. elves have disappeared for some reason and i cant buy thread from them that is required for artifact.
EDIT3: Just because i want to share this with you, my clothier finished his Adhelred again, this time its Cloak. atleast its better than right glove :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:04:05 pm by Doro »

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9950 on: January 21, 2011, 11:53:23 am »

I'm currently building the halls of !!SCIENCE!! mark 0.5, mark 1 will be done in the caravan arc update.
Blargh.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: January 21, 2011, 12:35:53 pm »

Middle first summer

The carpenter has died. Headshot by warthog. The butcher now got extra duties to fulfill. Soon after, my bears and eagles started flashing. Whoops, look like I overestimated the supply from the mule and the muskox butchered in spring. Immediately, warthogs were hunted revenged. I stared at the butcher as he haul the thing to the *CLT* workshop and worked. And worked. And worked. And worked. Animals still blinking. And he continued working. My patience grows short. Should I just build a new workshop and it'd probably be faster there? And he worked. The butcher himself start flashing. And he worked. And worked. He now also flash for booze. And he worked. Animals still flashing. Is it me or they are flashing faster now. And he worked. And worked. And I let out a sigh of relief as I see the beasts flocked to the butcher's workshop, knowing I wont lose any bears this season. It was also pretty amusing when I noticed the meat has already been de-stacked for them without them yet arriving at the workshop.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:38:20 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: January 21, 2011, 12:38:04 pm »

The mayor is miserable.
He's fourteen, so is his girlfriend. His only family is his elderly mother. He's a pretty reasonable mayor at that.
Don't want to see him flip out.  :'(
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: January 21, 2011, 12:49:48 pm »

Journal of Keycontrol
Sandstone 274,
Expition Leader Edna

The sounds died for a while up top, but in the last few months has grown louder and louder. We're not sure what they're doing. We're sure there must be battle, because the flood of ghosts have grown from a few people to well over 20 distinct ghosts. We have started a production of memorial slabs, and plastering them as we're able among the irrigation floor.

The dogs and cats are reproducing quickly, apparently living off of the vermin alone. I am starting to wonder what a rat even looks like anymore.

Unfortunately for Keycontrol though, we have a cave crocodile and no military to deal with it. I am writing this as it chases the cats downstairs. If I post again, it means that we have survived. If not, be warned of the crocodile.

*the last post of keycontrol in the journal*
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: January 21, 2011, 02:00:56 pm »

Embarked the first time with Genesis Mod, and because DF appearantly hates me AGAIN in a place with snow and Ice. Why oh why allways cold Climas? I even took one where clearly stood Temprate as Temperature. Now i have only forzen Water, that even in summer doestn melt. I cant build underground Farms because of the lack of water and after assignin a Bookkeeper i realised i have no seeds with me that grow outside.

What currently happens in my Fortress, is my Dorfs eating Vermin and diying of Thirst soon. At least i will have something to laugh at before i press abadon fortress!
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: January 21, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »

Goddammit. Shellsglaze is dead to a corrupted save.
くコ:彡

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: January 21, 2011, 02:07:55 pm »

Bridges are rather slow. Did you try a spiral floor design with hatches? That should keep it stable and no enemy can traverse such a spiral before becoming engulfed.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: January 21, 2011, 02:50:24 pm »

Bridges are rather slow. Did you try a spiral floor design with hatches? That should keep it stable and no enemy can traverse such a spiral before becoming engulfed.
It's not intended as a standard Magma trap... if it were, I would take some sort of steps to channel or contain the invaders before roasting them. It's a "theme" construction... intended to blast them from orbit. My next Mega-Project... the Goblin Space Program... will build further on the same theme.
Never pet a burning dog.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: January 21, 2011, 03:42:31 pm »

Embarked the first time with Genesis Mod, and because DF appearantly hates me AGAIN in a place with snow and Ice. Why oh why allways cold Climas? I even took one where clearly stood Temprate as Temperature. Now i have only forzen Water, that even in summer doestn melt. I cant build underground Farms because of the lack of water and after assignin a Bookkeeper i realised i have no seeds with me that grow outside.

What currently happens in my Fortress, is my Dorfs eating Vermin and diying of Thirst soon. At least i will have something to laugh at before i press abadon fortress!
Is tempature off?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: January 21, 2011, 03:58:51 pm »

A Giant Earthworm raced up from the first cavern layer (which has a lake and a magma pipe) to the outside and fled off the map. I am amused and bewildered by this behavior.

Four seconds after being 'born' he probably thought, "An earthworm? A giant one, but an earthworm? Fuck this shit, I'm outta here the first chance I get. I'll murder a human, wear his clothes and face, and try to pass myself off as a quadrapelegic poet."

EDIT: forgot to mention, just founded a new fort 'Silverysword'. Embarked with precisely nothing, no skills. It's going pretty good so far. With the two migrant waves and the time spent working, they're building up skills and the caravan's just arrived, so now I'm going to buy up the stuff I need to get the fort really going.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:03:05 pm by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 3842