Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110254 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9915 on: January 20, 2011, 09:37:02 am »

Part 54 of my LP is up.

This game keeps finding new ways to confuse me.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: January 20, 2011, 11:10:17 am »

I lol'd hard.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: January 20, 2011, 12:19:18 pm »

Reminds me oddly of every time in Team Fortress 2 where, as a Sniper, I'd one-shot a cloaked Spy while aiming for something completely different.  :D

Back on topic: oh, a kobold ambush! How cute!
Aww shit, they killed the outpost liaison right as he left. Oh well. >:(

And then, I discovered the immense joy that is the meeting of a kobold ambush and a goblin ambush that decided to mess with the same dwarfs almost exactly at the same time.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: January 20, 2011, 12:36:39 pm »

I was trying to go to sleep so I decided to do something boring to help me get to sleep... so I started generating worlds looking for my perfect world with a perfect embark.

I found it on the first world I generated.

It's mostly flat with a mesa large hill and a small hill, on a pocket world, 3 by 3 embark, no river, lots of trees, water in the caverns, ground level magma in a tube that doesn't morph the geography, warm/hot climate, straddling 4 bioms with sand and 3 flux materials (dolomite, chalk, and marble), a little bit of the blue stuff, lots of safe down layers (~50) and lots of layers to the ceiling (~50). You could even manage a 2 by 3 here. I'm considering a 1 by 2 with at some point so I can focus on a bad ass mega project.

I like a small embark, though. This world gets even better if one wanted a larger embark.

Also, it's calm, so many of you will not be interested. I'm still getting used to the game though so this is perfect for me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did not go to bed as early as I would have liked.

So, in my new fort, I'm digging a 50z 35 by 35 pit so I can build a 50z tall tower above my volcano!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:05:32 pm by Bererez »
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: January 20, 2011, 02:04:28 pm »

That's cool, thanks for posting. I might give that a try later.

In my fort (also a flux volcano, but 2x2) I've got a particularly precocious little girl.

But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: January 20, 2011, 02:09:08 pm »

That's cool, thanks for posting. I might give that a try later.

In my fort (also a flux volcano, but 2x2) I've got a particularly precocious little girl.

And she likes horses to boot.... :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: January 20, 2011, 03:15:05 pm »

A wild goblin ambush appeared!
The goblin ambush used invade.
It's not very effective.
The dwarves used flood.
It's super effective!
The goblin ambush fainted!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: January 20, 2011, 03:20:35 pm »

The latest goblin siege brought four squads and a squad of trolls. Unfortunately the only mounted squad brought their general as leader who immediately started a loyalty cascade. The mounted squad of crossbowgobbos instantly lost their ability to ride. There goes my elk bird meat delivery service  :-X. About half of the goblins where killed and two soldiers sustained minor injuries from crossbow bolts.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: January 20, 2011, 03:29:44 pm »

Wow. Fourty-Six dwarven ages.
I don't know about you, but I got a bunch of messages related to errors with volcanism, peaks and high elevation.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: January 20, 2011, 03:31:45 pm »

So the humans decided to sue for peace.  I decided their diplomat's presence was an offense, especially after the broken arm two of my militiamen and/or women got in their last siege (the one where their general died, unfortunately, to a goblin spear [it was a double siege, and an ettin showed up midway). I chopped him up into little bits and noticed that their caravan came anyway.  So I sold them all my bone crafts--many many statues of cringing goblins, rings necklaces and spectres made of goblin bone.  I hope to start a gothy trend in the human capital.  Right now they are waaay too Narnia--ride into battle on war lions and war leopards (delicious substitutes for our regular diet of forgotten beast and hydra). Our war werewolf baroness (paralysed as she is from the F.B. dust) is a stable and undemanding ruler.  I just hope something horrible happens before F.P.S. death sets in, I already had a 80% population reducing f.b. rot/spiral, we survived, what comes next?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: January 20, 2011, 03:58:13 pm »

My first thief encounter happened this morning.  Luckily the thief was discovered by a recent immigrant with some fighting skill.  Only year 2 of this fort and no military.  My fighter quickly chased the thief down and body slammed it down dramatically on the new drawbridge.  A few well placed punches broke the bones in the thief's knee, elbow and skull.  Then she put the thief in a chokehold.  She held him while a nearby miner rushed up and planted his pick in the kobold's skull.  Our recently built drawbridge is a bloody mess.  Hopefully it will prove to be a deterrent to future thieves.

Ancient Avatar

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: January 20, 2011, 04:27:18 pm »

I made a temp fort to test out a trap design, and it works!

When the lever points one way, two bridges alternately extend and retract to lure invaders into taking the ever-present path into the fortress. When it points the other, both the bridges are down to allow access to friendlies. You'd think this would be a pretty simple operation, but it took eleven pumps and over fifty mechanisms to achieve.

Unfortunately, weight limits mean that I can't dump a whole mounted siege onto the ground, but I'll try and compensate by using 2x the number of 5-tile bridges.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: January 20, 2011, 04:28:30 pm »

Wow. Fourty-Six dwarven ages.
I don't know about you, but I got a bunch of messages related to errors with volcanism, peaks and high elevation.
I've generated the world 3 times without issues in less than a minute  :-\
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Nex Anima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: January 20, 2011, 04:32:18 pm »

beginning construction of this fully automated, auto cleaning magma entrance

Will it work? By Dwarven !!science!! it will, or many will die trying.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: January 20, 2011, 04:40:55 pm »

I can't really read the diagram (does it drop magma from above?), but careful with the 1-7 pressure plates unless you're using pumps to move the fluid off the plates.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 3842