Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110582 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9870 on: January 19, 2011, 05:38:24 am »

Play testing...
First caravan. Of the 150 bags I've bought on embarks, ZERO are silk bags...
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

WFrag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: January 19, 2011, 05:54:40 am »

Finishing my farmhouse and manufacturing house. My dwellers do not like to live underground, so all buildings are built from granite blocks with slate roofs. Lot of work for masons.

Started "great pumping project" to get magma 80 layers up, so my metal workers do not have to go 80 layers down. Planning to use water reactors for powering it.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: January 19, 2011, 06:15:02 am »

Still during first trade... an abaddon jumped out from no where!! It was spotted 2 tiles away from the depot and knowing these guys, I know what it was going to do. Curse words was sprouted from my mouth and I sent all of my haulers and my only miner to it, arming him with the newly bought steel pick. A very long moment passed as the defenders rushed to the beast, and it was still sitting on top of the depot. Thanksfully the depot somehow is more resilient then a workshop and stood still as the hauler charged onto it, knocking it tumbling. Somehow it managed to grab the carpenter's workshop, toppling it and sent the poor guy running. Giving the hauler a finger, he flew away from the depot, though the drained murky pool into my underground complex, heading straight to the communial bedroom Surely, it has probably noticed the exceptional beds lying around down there. Thanksfully by this time the caravan guards have return from their random warthog chases and downed it. "How convenient!!" - Some of the dust-dosed haulers said and dropped onto the beds right next to.

Long story short, first time I've seen an abaddon showing up at the most right place at the most right time but I've managed to drive it away.

Spoiler: Aftermath (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:52:00 am by rephikul »
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: January 19, 2011, 06:31:29 am »

I'm growing suspicious. 2 Forgotten Beasts visited the place in the meanwhile, and still, my sanitary precautions seem to work.
While there is a puppy corpse in a well-frequented tile. That is however restricted. But dwarfs insist on walking over it. The corpse is tainted with the demon's poisonous goo. But it won't be moved for some reason. I'm not sure I want anyone to touch it anyway.
And still, no further infection beyond two kids that were quickly replaced by 6 more. Flooring the immediate surroundings of the fortress seemed to help.

What is going to happen that will screw me over, then? Betting 5 dorfbucks and an artifact that it's gonna be the puppy corpse that will bring me down.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: January 19, 2011, 08:54:14 am »

I'm growing suspicious. 2 Forgotten Beasts visited the place in the meanwhile, and still, my sanitary precautions seem to work.
While there is a puppy corpse in a well-frequented tile. That is however restricted. But dwarfs insist on walking over it. The corpse is tainted with the demon's poisonous goo. But it won't be moved for some reason. I'm not sure I want anyone to touch it anyway.
And still, no further infection beyond two kids that were quickly replaced by 6 more. Flooring the immediate surroundings of the fortress seemed to help.

What is going to happen that will screw me over, then? Betting 5 dorfbucks and an artifact that it's gonna be the puppy corpse that will bring me down.

Wall around it.
Add magma.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: January 19, 2011, 09:22:55 am »

Wall around it.
Add magma.
But that's gonna screw up completely with the configuration of the dining room!
[/priorities straight]
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9876 on: January 19, 2011, 09:35:03 am »

Wall around it.
Add magma.
But that's gonna screw up completely with the configuration of the dining room!
[/priorities straight]
Then only add a little magma and when it burns away drain it out.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: January 19, 2011, 09:47:47 am »

Part 53 of my LP is up.

I love this military. It's basically everything the Townbrush militia failed to be. Rather than drown to death fighting enemies underwater, these soldiers instead deliver quick and fatal blows whilst fighting beneath the waves. And then they just waltz out of the ocean as if it was nothing out of the ordinary. As someone who had to constantly watch soldiers hurl themselves into the water and then drown, I find this to be a beautiful sight.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: January 19, 2011, 10:00:21 am »

Made a new fort with a volcano on the embark. Idea was to drill down and haul everything I had into the caverns to try and survive. 2 miners, 1 woodcutter/carpenter, 1 trained fighter, 1 Mason/Architects, 1 Furnace operator, 1 Blacksmith. A straight forward and simple plan if there ever was one.

First hurdle, My exploratory shaft can't find any caverns. We dig deeper, and DEEPER and DEEPER! At more than 1000Ft below the ground I begin to lose hope, then at 1500Ft below the surface we strike our first cavern. There is much moaning about climbing 1500 feet of stairs to offload the wagon.

All goes well for about a minute, and then...

Second hurdle, Trogs, lots. While I'm trying to sort of prioritize what they need to take down to the caverns with them I get a "Urist McWoodcutter cancels store item in stockpile: interrupted by troglodyte."  I quickly mobilize a military force of 4 dwarves and send them hurtling down the stairs. Meanwhile my blacksmith takes an unlucky blow to the back of the head an gets slumped across the wall of the volcano, dead. My first militia engages the trog when three more come charging out of the blackness. The first three trogs go down without much of a fuss, then an unlucky shot takes a recruit in the brain and kills him. The militia is almost done battering the first trog to death when another 3 saunter over to do battle. We lose yet another man and the militia leader is victim to severe bruising and 6 broken fingers, but at long last the trog threat has been defeated.

Reduced to a population of 4 transfer between surface and the caverns is greatly slowed. However in fit of uncharacteristic good luck we get an early migrant wave of 3 good strong dwarves. Back up to 7 dwarves things proceed as planned until... my miner who appears to have lost a friend and a lover to the troglodyte battles tantrums and hacks the arm off the original fighting dwarf and militia commander. He is retired from duty and is replaced by a moderately skill bone worker.

Third Hurdle, the GCS. This time I was watching our lower camp when it came chittering out of the blackness to kill us all. My response, draft every single able bodied dwarf to kill it. The six (Former Militia commander asleep upstairs, dehydrated, starving, and miserable because everyone else is busy.) dwarves come down the stairs screaming war cries, the spider webs the first, rips his chest open and then whips around to rip the head off of my current militia commander. This gives precious time for a couple dwarves to pile up on it break several legs, its abdomen, and its cephalothorax. The result?

The spider looks slightly nauseous as it tears through three more dwarves. (How in blue blazes does a spider "look nauseous"?) It takes a moment to finish off the first dwarf it webbed and goes scrambling up the stairs at top speed. There it meets my last remaining militia member, a veteran of the trog battles. The fight on the stairs, it goes on for far longer than I expected and in the end my valiant dwarf becomes an elite wrestler. Still that is not enough to save him from being ripped apart. The spider continues to frolick up the stairs at a disturbing pace.

The GCS runs right past my one armed militia commander, and out into the sun. It is at this point that I get the horrible feeling of "What have we done?" as I watch the GCS run around outside and dart off the edge of the map. I stay with my former militia commander in his final days, towards the end he threw a tantrum screaming and yelling. He slipped off only a day later...

YOUR FORTRESS HAS CRUMBLED TO ITS END....

I don't remember the name of the fortress, but I do remember the name of the volcano I embarked on... it was called "The Fires Of Failing".

How's that for prognostication... Now I wonder if the GCS will populate the surface with its horrible children.       
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: January 19, 2011, 10:46:49 am »

One of my militia dwarfs made a bad decision in dodging a giant olm attack and plummeted 11 levels into an underground pond where she broke a lot of limbs. Stunned, drowning and in extreme pain, she lost consciousness. When she regained it she fought off the stunning and managed to clamber up the ramp she fell on and is now merely in extreme pain and 22 z-levels below hospital. I was damn glad she got out of the water before drowning, though.

And the olm was quite killed a bit before she clambered out. Rest of her squad DID have time to grab their weapons, after all. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: January 19, 2011, 11:09:09 am »

26 kids and babies. 216 dorfs.
*twitches* ENTIRE TEAM IS BABIES.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: January 19, 2011, 11:46:27 am »

This embark finally has goblins who come mounted. Only on elk birds it seems, but the mounted crossbowsquad was rather annoying. They actually acted very smart and kept their distance nicely using their mounts superior speed. The few recruits who charged them where perforated, 5 melee dwarfs dead out of 16. Fortunately the two soldiers who had already attained legendary fighter skill tenderized all attackers who didn't flee. One dwarf from the first squad became an axe lord, and some migrants arrived so filling the ranks up again won't be a problem.
The blue metal tube that was discovered via the lucky magma pool in the first cavern is being mined and it seems to be rather tall. By the time the next siege comes my soldiers will be outfitted in full spoiler gear, which should be enough to stop any elk bird riding meanies.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: January 19, 2011, 01:22:13 pm »

2nd spring, elven traders have arrived. When I'm about to clear enough of the buzzard swarm and find it safe enough to start bringing prepared food out to trade, the exp leader/broker/manager/bookkeeper/building designer got killed by an unicorn, bringing the total amount of death to that unicorn herd this season to 4. As he's also the exp leader, I couldnt assign any new nobles.... The future of the fortress seems bleak.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: January 19, 2011, 01:26:20 pm »

wait for mayor

I've just walled in and finished my world flooder.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: January 19, 2011, 01:36:34 pm »

wait for mayor
Not sure what the liason would react, realizing there's no one to talk to.

I've just walled in and finished my world flooder.
walling in is for wusses ;p
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 3842