Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110587 times)

Chuckster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9840 on: January 17, 2011, 05:07:42 pm »

Using fortress defence mod.

Highcanyons... the only bastion of dwarfish kind left after the loss of the original mountain hall. Founded in the year 162 and it is now 171. No words from out human allies. Each late summer we hope a caravan from them will arrive, but only swarms of our enemies. Engravings depict hellfire imps assaulting our allies town and I hope they are still out there somewhere. (Because then the embark would have lied to me about humans being able to come).

Almost every late season month there is a siege that involves goblin killing kobolds, tigermen, frogmen or/and dark stranglers. The tigermen, frogmen and stranglers coming into my weapon traps. Sometimes my only two fighers, Zefon,the militia commander and Ingish, the axe lord, would come out and slaughter the ferocious creatures.

Wood is seriously lacking and I planned for a 5 ballista defended entrance. Only wood is at second or third cavern level. I think the first and second are merged? Any way not enough labor to get workers to cut those trees since only about 30 dwarves and a third are children.

Working on a running sewer system but progress is slow. But I got a named axe!
Rathebal Enen Nakas, "Templerevered the Illness of Enjoyment," a steel battle axe. Has 67 kills, 62 are notable.
It was the first steel axe ever made and has no quality modifier though but that doesn't matter with super stronge dwarves!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: January 17, 2011, 05:10:14 pm »

How can I export text from game, like this?
If you're using Windows, you can use the Snipping Tool to get a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress, then you could put that on Image Shack and use the provided forum link to display the picture in the forum.
That's what I do.
In ubuntu, you can go to Applications > Accessories > Take Screenshot.
On the mac, use command-shift-4 and highlight the area you want.
As for exporting it as text... I just type it.
Microsoft OneNote (an app in the newer versions of MicroSoft Office) has a "get text from Image" option after you paste the picture into it. Then you just have to proofread.

Fuck! That would have saved me so much time...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: January 17, 2011, 06:09:54 pm »

Currently building a 137-level, dual-width pump-stack to lift Magma up from the Magma Sea to the tower-top reservoir cistern of my Orbital Defense System. Powered by 84 Water-Wheels. My plan is to use the over-head system of floodgates, duct-work and floor hatches to rain flaming death down of the heads of elves useless migrants nobles whoever happens to come along invaders. Been working on it for seven-and-a-half years game time... should be done in another few years.
Never pet a burning dog.

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: January 17, 2011, 06:50:26 pm »

Using Fortress Defence mod,

the nightwings came, as did the war elephants, war elephants got destroyed by my crossbow, but the nightwings killed 24 out of my 30 man militia. Some had only chest and head and they were still biting my guys and killed a couple that way...

Then the tantrum spiral started, 5 death thus far, but it's only starting :D. (4 by captain of the guard , 1 by tantruming dwarf)

The fortress was 140 strong, with probably about 30 baby/child and everyone was friend with everyone, so let's see if this survives.
(God damn mothers spamming me with seek infant ... you are chained for a good reason!)

edit: a forgotten beast comes for the party, let's see if that useless military can do something...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:57:04 pm by Ilikor »

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: January 17, 2011, 06:59:14 pm »

currently, i am starting on a tower over my main fortress for housing and stockpiles while building up my trap coridores with fortifacations at the corners so that i can build some balista to fire through 'em  :P
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

The11th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: January 17, 2011, 08:18:40 pm »

My fortress is currently boring. Sitting at a stable population of about 170. Looking at the list of the dead.... a lot of it is babies and children <_<  Sieges happen, my hallway of death kills everything, and I go about life as usual. Half of the time caravans slaughter the sieges and then I take their goods muahahah. I have large outside fortifications encasing my above ground farms, a few ponds, and part of the brook. The outer fortifications are double-thick, and everything closes with floodgates, not doors. Mostly because I was getting that weird pathing error with doors so I just did away with them completely. I'm thinking of starting a new fort, somewhere... challenging.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: January 17, 2011, 10:34:53 pm »

Just had one of my novice speardwarf kill five Kobold without any weapons, just his shield. I was caught out in an ambush and he was the closest dwarf to the site. He only suffered minor bruises compared to the broken bones and severed body parts of the kobold.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: January 17, 2011, 11:07:32 pm »

My marksdwarfs successfully defeated a group of carp. This is SilientViper's greatest military achievement so far.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: January 17, 2011, 11:48:29 pm »

Turns out that I am not as excell
My fortress is currently boring. Sitting at a stable population of about 170. Looking at the list of the dead.... a lot of it is babies and children <_<  Sieges happen, my hallway of death kills everything, and I go about life as usual. Half of the time caravans slaughter the sieges and then I take their goods muahahah. I have large outside fortifications encasing my above ground farms, a few ponds, and part of the brook. The outer fortifications are double-thick, and everything closes with floodgates, not doors. Mostly because I was getting that weird pathing error with doors so I just did away with them completely. I'm thinking of starting a new fort, somewhere... challenging.

Sounds like you need to do some science with ghosts, my pal.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: January 17, 2011, 11:49:20 pm »

Oh man, i love swapping masterfully emerald dye dyed masterfully made giant spider sock masterfully detailed with an image of cheese masterfully encrusted with masterfully cut star sapphires for sharp bits of steel.

Weirdly, I almost never get around to encrusting things. Gets too fiddly for me, I guess.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: January 18, 2011, 12:08:43 am »

ALERT! A FORGOTTEN BEAST HAS EMERGED!
ZOM SMOXSPUZOSPU!

A towering quadruped composed of sardonyx. It has a curling trunk and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its deadly spittle!!!

Urist McBaron: What, in the caverns? Which we walled off?

IGNORE!

Urist McBaron: We have a caravan to deal with from the homelands! Broker, GO!

Urist McBroker: Hmm, we'll take that, and that, and that, and that other thing. Hell, give us the whole kit n' kaboodle. Here, we'll overpay you buy one hundred thousand dorfbucks.

Urist McMerchant: Wha-wha, buh, *drool*

Urist McBroker: Yeah, just take all these useless trainer helms and goblinite. Now GTFO, we have a Danger room to construct.

Urist McLiason: Go on merchants, I'll catch up.

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED!

Urist McScout: By Armok, there are over 80 goblins out there suh! And a half dozen trolls!

Donkey McChainedbytheDepot: The trolls are too fast, they passed the Seal!

Troll Von BuildingSmasher: RAR! Die depot die!

Urist McMason: Nay, tis my prized depot, smashed! Ruin and spoil, rue and moil! You'll pay for this, yah green basterd!

Troll Von BuildingSmasher: Not bloodly likely. Now to go smash this donkey!

Hidden McWeaponTrap: MASTERWORK SERRATED STEEL DISC ATTACK GO!

Troll Von BuildingSmasher: Razor sharp steel moving at high velocity? My only weakness! HOW DID YOU KNOW?!?!?!

SPLATTER!

Goblin Von Warleader: Stupid trolls. Come, into this long entry corridor past the ominous brass drawbridge!

Goblin Von Spearstabby: These obsidian bridges underfoot are pretty nice, actually. Needs a hint of dorf blood though.

Goblin Von Hammerguy: The glowing red steel bridges that make up the ceiling are slightly unsettling though. I'm glad we're just here to kill and rape, because flipping this shithole would be an ordeal.

Urist McScout: Baron, the goblin forces have moved into position for Holy Tear's of Armok's Fury! Shall we activate it?

Urist McBaron: Yes, let them know the price of attacking! Activate Magma Trap 2: Electric Boogaloo!

Urist McMechanic: You know I worked really hard on that. Could you use the proper name at least?

Urist McLeverpuller: Pulling Safety Seal Lever! Engaging Main Gate Lever. Safeguards in place. Commencing the manipulation of the Lava Release Lever!*

SLAM! SLAM! POUR!!!

Goblin Von Everydamnoneofthem: OH OUR DARK GODS! THE MAGMA BURNS SO HOT!

Goblin Von Warlord: Ohhh! You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought drunk little dorfs like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness! Ohhh! Look out! Look out! I'm going! Ohhhh – Ohhhhhhhhhh!

Urist McLeverpuller: Ending Sequence. Activating Drainage. Disengaging Safety Seals.**

Urist McScout: Corridor cleared! All goblins melted, Baron sir!

Urist McLiason: Hhheeeeeyyyyy gggguuuuuyyyyy, did you know that we're promoting your fort to a county?  8)

*I use the Note function to label all levers in Forts I make, and their corresponding bridge/floodgate/whatever. The Doomsday lever does exactly what is says on the tin.
**A small operator error on my part caused the magma trap to overflow. Thankfully I had designed a safeguard. The only casualty was my original brass drawbridge, which melted once completed covered.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: January 18, 2011, 01:03:30 am »

Minerdwarf A: *chewing on his Plump Helmet*"Didnt the boss tell us to do something? I think it was about a Hole and a Drawbridge."
Minerdwarf B: "Nah cant remember something like that, and even if he did, cant be that important."

*Meanwhile at the Fortentrance*

Mechanic: "When will the goddamn Miners arrive and dig that hole? If a Goblin ambush..."
Ambusher Goblin: "SURPRISE!"
Mechanic: "THE IRONY, RUN FOR YER LIVES"
Ambusher Goblin "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! IM GONNA ROLL OVER ALL YOUR BEER"

Goddamn Miners, and Goddamn Goblins  >:(
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Pawns4Mons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: January 18, 2011, 03:05:32 am »

Walling off a giant area in a cavern for tree harvesting and gold digging, After the cavern is secure and I smelt more picks I will send 10 brave dorf to dig to the magma sea, then I can make the caverns a livable area.

I almost have 100 dorfs for an 18 year fort, and my above ground fort seems like a bad idea, time to shut the gates and move underground boys!.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: January 18, 2011, 04:22:23 am »

-engaging account-

Ahaha, fantastic. 8)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: January 18, 2011, 05:41:40 am »

I almost have 100 dorfs for an 18 year fort, and my above ground fort seems like a bad idea, time to shut the gates and move underground boys!.

Nice. My currents soon 8. I've been thinking about trying to play at least 15. My first "proper" fort Wheelcrowds I left at the 13th year, it had gotten way too easy... And 260 dorves, 500-ish animals and almost 2,000 dead animals and gobbos were killing my poor laptop.
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 3842