Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110831 times)

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9825 on: January 17, 2011, 01:37:34 pm »

Well, I got that to work.
And guess what?  I can't add or remove stuff.  My + and - don't work apparently.  (I'm on a laptop PC.)
teh chuckles is with that?
Do you have a numeric pad? Are you sure num lock isn't on?

No numpad, and nup, numberlock isn't on.

If your laptop doesn't have a numpad, try finding the keys with the numpad numbers on then (789uiopjkl;m./ on my HP TX2), hold FN, then press those keys. That's how i have to do it on my laptop.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: January 17, 2011, 01:41:39 pm »

My carpenter has produced a masterful quality door in the little time our fortress has existed.
The future looks bright.
Hide it where a building destoryer can't get to it.

Maybe for a Noble's room (if its magma-safe, that is).

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: January 17, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »

Well, I got that to work.
And guess what?  I can't add or remove stuff.  My + and - don't work apparently.  (I'm on a laptop PC.)
teh chuckles is with that?
Do you have a numeric pad? Are you sure num lock isn't on?

No numpad, and nup, numberlock isn't on.

If your laptop doesn't have a numpad, try finding the keys with the numpad numbers on then (789uiopjkl;m./ on my HP TX2), hold FN, then press those keys. That's how i have to do it on my laptop.
Or you could remap your keyboard using the keybindings option in the options menu (ESC).
Or you could edit data/init/interface.txt looking for SECONDSCROLL_UP and SECONDSCROLL_DOWN.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: January 17, 2011, 02:02:28 pm »

Changed those to C and X.  Much bettar.
And guys, how can I make it so I can see better?  The screen's too small >.<
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:35 pm »

Worthless!?  :o

Maybe you should try giving them to the caravans AFTER you set them.  (That is, giving them things that you've encrusted with gems).  Then see how worthless they are.
I mena't i only cut them before giving them to caravans. I don't sell furniture unless I have to. I pile finished goods on them.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: January 17, 2011, 02:27:52 pm »

Among all that chaos of feet exploding into rivers of blood and marksdorfs dealing with the Forgotten Beast that has decided to hulk smash some doors, a very amusing surprise occurred.
But first, a little background.

The first warrior to gain a title was a macedwarf by the sweet name of Unib Tobulazuz Titthalgemsit Itdun, or "Unib Canyonsomber the Playful Pastime of Charming". Since nothing in her personality contradicted that interpretation, I imagined her as a flirty woman of the "distant beauty" kind.
Fast-forward to today. A clothier gets possessed and gathers a load of precious stuff. He comes up with that gem:
"Istbarnomes, "The Rosy Diversion", a phantom silk short skirt
This is a phantom spider silk short skirt. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with phantom spider silk and encircled with bands of cave spider silk, red pyrope and cow bone. It is made from phantom silk cloth. This object is adorned with hanging rings of faint yellow diamonds and menaces with spikes of pyrite and crystal glass. On the item is an image of diamonds in phantom spider silk. On the item is an image of a chain in pig iron. On the item is an image of The Slivers of Rust* the native gold mechanisms in sylvite."
So perfect. I gave her that skirt. Chains, mechanisms, diamonds, precious gems, perfect name... is phantom spider silk translucent like the arachnid? Even if it isn't, it is still a paragon of feminineness and kinkiness. :D

*nothing terribly fancy, it's made of gold and wood and features a wave and a war hammer.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: January 17, 2011, 02:35:58 pm »

*nothing terribly fancy, it's made of gold and wood and features a wave and a war hammer.

You should build her a personal danger room with wooden spears, and then use that artefact to make a lever for it, to switch between vibrating (the wave) and pounding (the hammer) mode
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: January 17, 2011, 03:06:20 pm »

You should build her a personal danger room with wooden spears, and then use that artefact to make a lever for it, to switch between vibrating (the wave) and pounding (the hammer) mode
... don't give me bad ideas I won't regret.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: January 17, 2011, 03:12:58 pm »

How can I export text from game, like this?
If you're using Windows, you can use the Snipping Tool to get a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress, then you could put that on Image Shack and use the provided forum link to display the picture in the forum.
That's what I do.
In ubuntu, you can go to Applications > Accessories > Take Screenshot.
On the mac, use command-shift-4 and highlight the area you want.
As for exporting it as text... I just type it.
Microsoft OneNote (an app in the newer versions of MicroSoft Office) has a "get text from Image" option after you paste the picture into it. Then you just have to proofread.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: January 17, 2011, 03:35:01 pm »

Worthless!?  :o

Maybe you should try giving them to the caravans AFTER you set them.  (That is, giving them things that you've encrusted with gems).  Then see how worthless they are.
I mena't i only cut them before giving them to caravans. I don't sell furniture unless I have to. I pile finished goods on them.
But if you encrust those finished goods with gems, they'll be much more valuable.  There've been times where I bought everything I wanted with just a few encrusted articles of clothing.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: January 17, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »

Besides which, gem-decorated furniture is an excellent way to boost room quality. Gems are among the least useless things in the game.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: January 17, 2011, 03:54:33 pm »

Plus, novice gem cutters are more useful in that regard in that they "fail" at cutting gems properly and make several small ones which can be used for encrusting. Only very precious jewels, like diamonds, are worth being cut into individual large gems.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: January 17, 2011, 04:07:13 pm »

Oh man, i love swapping masterfully emerald dye dyed masterfully made giant spider sock masterfully detailed with an image of cheese masterfully encrusted with masterfully cut star sapphires for sharp bits of steel.
This is a blank sig.

Kabuto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: January 17, 2011, 04:26:17 pm »

Well, my new fort finally got it's first FB. The militia had no problem with it, and I only lost 4 guys, all non military (who were probably running after unforbidden socks...). Then the dwarf who was taking his time making an artifact gives up and goes insane. Well, a few walls and that's taken care of. Then another FB comes in under a month after the first (is a giant blind weasel anything to worry about?). Meanwhile, the mayor and the captain of the guard won't stop whining about their rooms not being good enough, and no one is working on the drowning chamber very nice pool with a "high dive board" for our goblin prisoners friends and the nobles to enjoy.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: January 17, 2011, 04:34:10 pm »

Part 52 of my LP is up.

This is one of the few flaws with making your military constantly train with no breaks.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 3842