Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110603 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9810 on: January 16, 2011, 08:51:14 pm »

How can I export text from game, like this?
If you're using Windows, you can use the Snipping Tool to get a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress, then you could put that on Image Shack and use the provided forum link to display the picture in the forum.
That's what I do.
In ubuntu, you can go to Applications > Accessories > Take Screenshot.
On the mac, use command-shift-4 and highlight the area you want.
As for exporting it as text... I just type it.

----
Combinering is getting really bored. The search for things beyond magma is so far tedious and fruitless. I massacred the elvish traders out of boredom. I'm considering a mass eugenics program for my fort, or possibly a danger room large enough for everyone- every dwarf skilled in the art of war makes for a hardy fort. I have my first legendary artifact weapon made as well - a lead battle ax called "The Homage of Miles". It commemorates the killing of a troll by Horas during "The Attack of Danger", along with the depiction of "the Shaken Symmetry" iron shield in limonite. Nifty. Ironic that they didn't pick the event that Horas is really known for- killing a forgotten beast and naming his steel short sword "Sorcerous Secret".

Speaking of which, I see the arrival of another forgotten beast - the weirdest one I've seen.

" The Forgotten Beast Esnust Smespsnam has come! A towering feathered snail. It has wings and it squirms and fidgets. Its mauve feathers are fluffed-out. Beware its poisonous bite!"

I'm guessing it's... a good aligned forgotten beast? With a poisonous bite? He'll make good forgotten beast tallow.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:25:36 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: January 17, 2011, 09:09:57 am »

I think I detected the general area of the source of the bleeding-feet syndrome. It's all around the moat. I think. Ironically, dwarfs seem to generally die much faster in the area, while animals manage to walk twice the distance before dropping dead.
It's getting serious, too. Only one swollen and blistered foot is enough to kill anyone before they can enter the fort.
I can consider the following options:
-quarantine the general area and builds floors/fortifications over it
-enlarge the moat and channel out the risky tiles
   => both of these are very risky for the workers
-weaponize the deadly blood leftovers, wherever that is, and force goblins to take that path... since they have no mounts anymore and are usually wearing socks/sandals, this might be fruitless
-waste several hours of my life in a painful way by enrolling all 160+ dorfs just to force them to wear sock/shoes (I didn't think I'd have to say it ever), and witness the inevitable tantrum spirals that will occur once all of the 15+ kids will have died painfully.
-magma. DFhack will be my friend once again, as I haven't seen a drop of magma yet, and it's gonna be extremely long and painful getting it to the surface through a full aquifer and a few partial ones. Sadly, it seems to be my best solution.

All of that because fucking gobbos decided to elect a demon with deadly blood as their leader, assault him, and walk confidently to my fort with their stuff spayed in goo. If their strategy was killing everyone in the long term, I must say it's working; loyalty cascade almost makes sense there. And almost everyone has a friend, a lover, a family, or a combination of any of the above. Urnflashes of Autumn will end in a fucking tantrum spiral, I know it. Must say I'm very upset by that shit, as the only Forgotten Beast that appeared so far is a fire-breathing ape that ate many olm men and lizardmen but showed no interest in meeting dwarfs.
I fucking hate goblins so much. I'll execute as many as I can before everyone dies, and with a little luck, I'll survive until the freezing season and encase some of them in ice. >:(
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: January 17, 2011, 09:35:25 am »

Spoilered because of, well, spoilers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: January 17, 2011, 09:42:04 am »

Trying to find a suitable spot for a fortress.
What I REAALLLLY want to do is embark on a human town.  But can I? NOOO, Winzip has to be a bitch and have a 45 day trial, not a 46 day one....
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9814 on: January 17, 2011, 10:47:02 am »

What I REAALLLLY want to do is embark on a human town.  But can I? NOOO, Winzip has to be a bitch and have a 45 day trial, not a 46 day one....

Uninstall and reinstall it if you must. The trial is "infinite."
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9815 on: January 17, 2011, 10:52:35 am »

I wonder why they even bother with trials if someone can just hold on to the program as long as they want...

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9816 on: January 17, 2011, 11:16:08 am »

You're all aware that 7zip is free, does most of what Winzip does, and more, right?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: January 17, 2011, 12:20:30 pm »

I wonder why they even bother with trials if someone can just hold on to the program as long as they want...
That's exactly what I'm always thinking. I've had WinRAR for the past 3 to 4 years and I've only used the trial.
How do they expect to make a profit if the trial is basically getting a free version of the program?
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: January 17, 2011, 12:30:12 pm »

Well, I got that to work.
And guess what?  I can't add or remove stuff.  My + and - don't work apparently.  (I'm on a laptop PC.)
teh chuckles is with that?
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: January 17, 2011, 12:34:46 pm »

And guess what?  I can't add or remove stuff.  My + and - don't work apparently.  (I'm on a laptop PC.)
Do you have a numeric pad? Are you sure num lock isn't on?

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: January 17, 2011, 12:35:32 pm »

Do you have a numeric pad? Are you sure num lock isn't on?

No numpad, and nup, numberlock isn't on.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: January 17, 2011, 12:36:55 pm »

Well, I abandoned Dreamnets.  The FPS was just getting too frustrating.  I'll probably gen a new world in a little while.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: January 17, 2011, 01:06:29 pm »

Migrant Wave 1 : Legendary gem setter. I don't even set gems! I give the worthless things to caravans.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: January 17, 2011, 01:11:27 pm »

Worthless!?  :o

Maybe you should try giving them to the caravans AFTER you set them.  (That is, giving them things that you've encrusted with gems).  Then see how worthless they are.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9824 on: January 17, 2011, 01:16:15 pm »

My carpenter has produced a masterful quality door in the little time our fortress has existed.
The future looks bright.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 3842