Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110591 times)

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9795 on: January 16, 2011, 01:30:20 pm »

I got a troll stuck in my perpetual motion device and started wreaking shit up. Normally, it would not be a problem to repair it, but due to some ...err... oversights the device was flooding. By the way, did you know that trolls can breathe under water? I didn't. Now I have a half destroyed perpetual motion device and no way to repair it.  :( Time to build another one.

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: January 16, 2011, 01:40:16 pm »

my fort just hit 100 dorf, stupid mayor loves platinium ... :'(

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: January 16, 2011, 01:47:14 pm »

I'd disappeared during the 40d era and then decided to give it another whirl, particularly since the economy has been "fixed".

So I finally minted some gold coins, for the first time, since I'd read about the decorations changing yearly.

I think the description of these is beautiful...

This is the gold currency of Shaligeral Goden from the year 254.  On the front of the coin is an exceptionally designed image of dwarves and elves.  The dwarves are fighting with the elves.  The artwork relates to the attack on The Silkiness of Reticence of The Rain of Berries at Beaklathered by the Bridle-Vessel of Ropes in the late autumn of 228 during Arist Vutram, "The Assault of Gales".  On the coin's back is an exceptionally designed image of Lokum Drinkchanneled the dwarf and dwarves.  Lokuum Drinkchanneled is surrounded by the dwarves.  The Artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Lokum Drinkchanneled to the position of queen of the The Bridle-Vessel of Ropes in 21.

Looks like they got their priorities straight.

Though I will admit, I haven't killed an elf yet,  they're still bringing me odd animals...once that stops though, who needs them?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: January 16, 2011, 01:59:53 pm »

How can I export text from game, like this?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: January 16, 2011, 02:04:32 pm »

No idea, but I'm sure others know, I just manually typed it up.  Not a big problem when you type fast. :)

Was actually coming back to edit it to mention my one complaint at the moment, in that I was blessed with a fully mounted goblin siege all riding Jabberers.  Over a year later, I'm down from 40something to 16 Jabberer corpses and my dwarves are still butchering the bloody things.

3 butcher shops, 2 kitchens.  A 23x23 refuse stockpile slowly being filled up with stuff.  Not to mention all the tallow once they render it all.  Then to turn it all into soap.  Just the butchering alone has created a backlog on hauling orders.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #9800 on: January 16, 2011, 02:51:46 pm »

Damn, goblins managed to halt my megaproject again with a siege... of 85 men. I forced them to a bottleneck where my 11-man militia managed to rout them without casualties (a couple of war bears are vomiting on the floor though..). I guess their leader was on the front, which is good since now I don't have to deal with all the goblinite a fully slaughtered force would've yielded.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Poor things.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:53:44 pm by SlimyMarmot »

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9801 on: January 16, 2011, 02:57:02 pm »

I love this story!
Is it ok if I put it into my Word doc for awsome DF stories?

Sure, the great fortress of boatpuzzled should be immortalized somewhere. Out of curiosity is this on a webpage or is it a personal collection of Dwarf stories? If it's public I want the address, reading stories about forts while strange is a great to get new torture techniques fascinating fortress designs.
Its just a word doc on my computer and I only recently started it, but it will soon be full of awsome stuff!
Now to contribute.  Apparently insanity is contagious as my once nice, happy dwarves have decided to paint the walls red with pet blood, which is only making it worse.  Fully half of my fort is insane or otherwise incapacitated, including any competant fighters.  Luckily, the problem is contained to the residential and entertainment levels; the stockpiles and workshops are safe.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: January 16, 2011, 03:51:09 pm »

After the relatively pathetic human siege got terribly murdered in the three-way free for all with a Goblin Siege and a Kobold ambush, I thought I'd never see those tall jerks again. Yet lo and behold, a caravan?

To make amends, I bought out the whole damn thing, and gave them profits of over 5k per trade, so maybe 70k profits all told.

Seems to have worked, as the diplomat is asking if I want to stop the human/dwarf war!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: January 16, 2011, 04:54:57 pm »

So, huh, despite all indications of the contrary, the fortifications didn't disappear. My bad.
Also, I had saved at a critical point, only a few days before the complete freezing took place, and a week before a big siege with the local demonic law-giver happened. The freezing water provided a configuration that wasn't advantageous at all, the moats were rendered rather ineffective, and even after systematic loyalty cascades that would lead goblins to rebel against their own yellow monitor demon law-giver (and man, is the demon tough and strong), I would still be left with many gobbos that would slaughter the military after trolls would take advantage of the ice wall to destroy strategically-placed doors and hatches. One quantic iteration of this siege even had one Forgotten Beast that was discovered months ago but, well, forgotten, make its way into the fort because I wasn't paying attention to the defense device. Damn. And I absolutely didn't want to lose the fort at that moment.
So I tried to do the unthinkable: cheat fiddle with some raws. First attempt: disabling invasions. Well, didn't work at all. Then I tried a small trick to make at least the gobs go "poof" in a cloud of pink smoke. Didn't work at all.
Didn't work, but despite the demon having been killed relatively quickly by its subordinates, the frozen water didn't work to my disadvantage for once, and I found the invaders much easier to kill/catch. End tally: almost all dead, a very few escaped, some more captured, and my captain of the guard lost the use of his foot but gained the awesome title of "The Armored Lions" to compensate. Nothing more.
It then turned out I had modified the raws in the wrong world.

Today's lesson: cheating doesn't pay. Sometimes, the game is merciful toward you. That can only mean you will cry blood soon enough, of course, but you can still enjoy it in the meanwhile.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:42:13 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: January 16, 2011, 05:10:26 pm »

Just finished building my magma pump stack so I can finally make steel effeciently when suddenly

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FFFFFUUUUUUUU! >:(

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: January 16, 2011, 05:33:49 pm »

D: dorffort don't like you much.  >.<
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: January 16, 2011, 05:55:03 pm »

If you're using Windows, you can use the Snipping Tool to get a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress, then you could put that on Image Shack and use the provided forum link to display the picture in the forum.
That's what I do.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9807 on: January 16, 2011, 05:58:32 pm »

If you're using Windows, you can use the Snipping Tool to get a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress, then you could put that on Image Shack and use the provided forum link to display the picture in the forum.
That's what I do.
>_>
How long have you been stalking me?

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: January 16, 2011, 06:25:22 pm »

That's what I do.
>_>
How long have you been stalking me?
You see that bush outside your window?
That's where I usually sit. You can tell I'm there when you see light coming out of it. That's me using my laptop.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: January 16, 2011, 06:34:35 pm »

Oh for fuck's sake
The demon leader had deadly blood. Only goblins got to come near it. 2 months later, 3 cats and a marksdorf have died of blood loss at the other end of the map.
C'MON. I CAN'T WASH THAT SHIT AWAY. HALF THE MAP WAS COVERED IN WATER AND FROZEN. WHEN I SAID "crying blood", I DIDN'T MEAN IT LITERALLY.  >:(

EDIT: and now a miner. 10 z-levels or so away from the surface.
... oh well, I had mostly finished the outward fort... and I've just executed the spah gobbo thief by throwing him in a pond several z-levels down; if the fall doesn't kill, then the water will, and if it still doesn't, being encased in ice come mid-autumn will. It felt good.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:38:36 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 3842