Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109814 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9615 on: January 10, 2011, 12:54:35 pm »

My Mason just got taken by a fey mood. He has claimed the mason's workshop, and has so far taken a silver nugget, two microcline stones, a cut aquamarine gem, and a log.
*picture of a metal bed*
Not bad, and I got a legendary Mason out of it too.
I love when this happens, especially when I'm low on wood :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: January 10, 2011, 03:10:07 pm »

I killed some migrants in the name of !!Science!!¹

One of them became a ghost and is currently haunting my farms. Shortly afterward, a metalcrafter gets possessed and made this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Coincidence? I think not!

¹ EDIT Not that anybody needs a good reason to kill migrants.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:14:42 pm by Scraggletag »

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: January 10, 2011, 03:17:32 pm »

Truthfulfloors has reached 200 denizens, so I've decided it's time to inaugurate the Urist Time Capsule. Four lucky migrants have been allowed entry into the luxurious vault. Food, drink, and supplies will be deposited from a hatch in the ceiling. They'll have four beds, and four chests to store various items of personal value. In case that some disaster should come upon Truthfulfloors, the residents will be let out of the vault when I deem it safe.

EDIT: Forgot pressure again. I opened the floodgate to refill the well, but I closed it one second too late and water spewed into the dining room. To add to that, a dwarf somehow managed to fall into the well, so now I need to drain it. Lovely.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:30:58 pm by Serio »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: January 10, 2011, 03:34:11 pm »

I got a mayor!

He mandated that I make a toy hammer and then banned me from exporting it. It turns out he likes toy hammers. I'm not surprised.

He also likes limestone and mussel shells. I don't have either, so he better watch out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:39:29 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9619 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:27 pm »

I got a mayor!

He mandated that I make a toy hammer and then banned me from exporting it. It turns out he likes toy hammers. I'm not surprised.

He also likes limestone and mussel shells. I don't have either, so he better watch out.

Truthfulfloors has reached 200 denizens, so I've decided it's time to inaugurate the Urist Time Capsule. Four lucky migrants have been allowed entry into the luxurious vault. Food, drink, and supplies will be deposited from a hatch in the ceiling. They'll have four beds, and four chests to store various items of personal value. In case that some disaster should come upon Truthfulfloors, the residents will be let out of the vault when I deem it safe.

EDIT: Forgot pressure again. I opened the floodgate to refill the well, but I closed it one second too late and water spewed into the dining room. To add to that, a dwarf somehow managed to fall into the well, so now I need to drain it. Lovely.

If I were you, I'd put in 8 husband-wife pairs for breeding.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: January 10, 2011, 04:02:32 pm »

This sounds like a pretty neat approach to disasters, and a nice possible semi-megaproject.

Tinwonders' tantrum spiral subsided with only one casualty-- a legendary weaponsmith, of which I have two (moods have been good to Tinwonders). Most of the dwarves now have bedrooms, which helped a ton ("slept in a good bedroom lately" "put away possessions lately" "admired own fine bed lately"). The baby monkies have mostly been socked away to spare my FPS, valuables have been squirrelled away to stop the kobolds, the foe-grinder 2.0 has slowly been munching through my stockpiles of elves, goblins, and hostile humans/dwarves, freeing up cages for the cage-trap-lined entryway, the smelters and forges have finally churned out some steel armor and weapons, and work is underway to process some tetrahedrite for silver hammers.

Despite the name, there is still no tin ore to be found. Lots of platinum, though, so when I finally lift the pop cap to get some nobles I can make platinum decor to keep them happy.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9621 on: January 10, 2011, 04:12:19 pm »

This sounds like a pretty neat approach to disasters, and a nice possible semi-megaproject.
If the fort survives until the next migrant wave, I might expand it. I intended to include a well and some small farm plots too, in case supplies from the rest of the fort was cut off.
I considered doing that, but I only use recently arrived migrants(and they don't arrive married, do they?). That way, no one will be affected by a possible tantrum spiral.

EDIT: I think I'll drop them a pick axe and tell them to dig a dining room, then I'll drop some tables and a few chairs down there.

EDIT2: What.
Spoiler: Forgotten Beast (click to show/hide)
I've seen strange FB's before, but a giant fire breathing jade skunk with three eyes?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:22:06 pm by Serio »

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: January 10, 2011, 04:31:12 pm »

I've seen strange FB's before, but a giant fire breathing jade skunk with three eyes?

I don't think that the fire is coming from its mouth.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: January 10, 2011, 04:40:02 pm »

If the fort survives until the next migrant wave, I might expand it. I intended to include a well and some small farm plots too, in case supplies from the rest of the fort was cut off.
I considered doing that, but I only use recently arrived migrants(and they don't arrive married, do they?). That way, no one will be affected by a possible tantrum spiral.

EDIT: I think I'll drop them a pick axe and tell them to dig a dining room, then I'll drop some tables and a few chairs down there.

EDIT2: What.

Madness? This is Dwarf Fortress!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: January 10, 2011, 05:34:11 pm »

Well, there goes that fort. Open up the caverns to gather some webs for a strange mood (I'm in the process of equipping my new military), and in comes an FB.

There are three dwarves left from 57. One is my mayor, one is paralysed and one is a Dwarven Child.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:36:38 pm by dhokarena56 »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: January 10, 2011, 07:31:00 pm »

They can arrive married, and/or with kids. Since I turned off breeding in my init files, that's the only way I get kids.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: January 10, 2011, 07:46:51 pm »

My magma-breathing obsidian dragon statue megaproject is going to take a while... but the legs are finally finished!

Quite a few dwarves fell to their deaths building those. I'm thinking of giving it adamantine claws. Mmmmmm.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: January 10, 2011, 07:57:49 pm »

My magma-breathing obsidian dragon statue megaproject is going to take a while... but the legs are finally finished!

Quite a few dwarves fell to their deaths building those. I'm thinking of giving it adamantine claws. Mmmmmm.

I stand in awe of you. You, sir, are a God.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #9628 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26:26 pm »

-applauds politely- That truely h'is h'a maa-vel of Dwaaarven h'engineering.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: January 10, 2011, 09:46:56 pm »

That thing had better piss fire onto anyone it misses before they get indoors. You can never have too many giant statues that piss fire! I for one will find a way to make one of my statues piss bloody water, and I'm pretty sure pumps don't transfer the contaminants.

Speaking of obsidian and fire, my head smith whom I've been training for years has created an artifact platinum giant axe blade, encrusted with obsidian and encircled with platinum! It's worth over 368k db.

Damn possession though!  >:( I may update runesmith and see if I can't force her skill up to legendary +100 where it belongs. She has an artifact lead bed made by some other possessed dwarf.

This was the second time I'd played through autumn. The first time I got migrants, then a siege, then the caravans started arriving after I'd dealt with them. This time however, I got migrants, then two sieges in a row, with no caravan before winter. The first consisted of several goblin melee platoons, two hammer and one sword, supported by trolls. They were pretty easy to defeat as they couldn't really handle the traps combined with the marksmen on the roof overhead, but the pit trap's weapon traps got clogged enough that they started getting through, but it was still a trickle compared to the goblin waterfall dodging into the 6-story pit. In all I think I lost just two idiot civilians that didn't want to stay inside, a soldier or three, and a couple animals.
The second siege was a little more viscous. It came from the ninataur civ, (imagine smaller minotaurs) who are pretty frightening melee soldiers thanks to their size and oversize weaponry. This siege however consisted of two archer platoons lead by a lasher and a swordsman, and supported by trolls. My marksmen on the roof of the trade-way/battle-zone aren't protected by fortifications, so the enemy marksmen just stopped and pin-cushioned a couple. By the time my melee squads had waltzed their way down the corridor, all the trolls were dead, both enemy commanders incapacitated, including the lasher exploding into gore at the bottom of the pit, and one platoon of marksdwarves lead by the swordsman had retreated, because of the swordsman's injuries. The lasher's platoon decided it would be a good idea to go check on him before they left, and were all cut down.
I think I lost a between 4 and 8 soldiers that time, and a couple more animals. I'm tactically retarded so it's my fault for not sending the melee troops up front to wipe them out while they were distracted with my marksmen. Doesn't help that two of them managed to dodge off the roof.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:58:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 3842