Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109581 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9555 on: January 08, 2011, 07:45:23 pm »

I just had a moderate siege of 3 goblin platoons and a squad of trolls. It wasn't very eventful because of my pit trap, which sent the leaders plummeting to their doom, ending the siege after just two had crossed. casualties include two animals and a single soldier who was in a fey mood at the time. No idea what was going through his mind at the time. I didn't actually manage to kill any significant number, but all the cage traps were filled up so it will end with glorious battle when I get around to digging out a dedicated arena.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: January 08, 2011, 07:51:38 pm »

I just had the most legit siege I've ever had, and my 2-squad army of 9 soldiers each (1 squad melee and 1 ranged) took on 3 squads of mounted goblins.  I would have been overrun if it weren't for my dozens of cage traps, and I would have lost a lot more.  There's still a squad out by the outer cages, in the 1-tile wide corridor near the river.  Gonna hope they go away.  I'm down to 8 Melee and 3 Ranged dwarves, and a tantrum spiral incoming.  Let's hope those trap components finish soon so I can get them built in time for the next siege.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: January 08, 2011, 08:10:57 pm »

One unlucky dwarven lady was refusing to recover even after intensive manual therapy. When i inspect her inventory to check whether the cut foot had actually been really sutured i see there's still a silver bolt stuck inside it...
Those doctor dwarfs are so bad (might have been my bad the bolt was as all used ammunition forbidden). After dumping the bolt away and waiting a bit the foot is now yellow, and her wound screen is empty. She still refuses to get up tho. More manual therapy incoming.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: January 08, 2011, 09:58:53 pm »

Fort Combinering is up to 150 dwarves, mostly keeping busy storing stone for the new dolomite tower. DF is now running at a reliable 25-30 Fps. I miss the speed of 100 dwarves.

Also up to my 10th artifact, which is the first one made of goblin bone. I'm so proud of them, even if the value is nothing. Apparently there's a bug that it doesn't add the extra parts? Anyways, Knotcrested the Sick of Waddling, I tribute to the slaughtering of several sieges.

While looking through the artifacts, I also really like the 9th: Showered gears a palm amulet. Worth 188,800, and a tribute to the foundation of Combinering by The Rack of Responsibilities of The Citadel of Barricading. Oh, and the goblin Ngebzo Sulliedseduce the goblin in rose quartz. He's dead, and probably made into the bone bracelet. My favorite artifact.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: January 08, 2011, 10:06:19 pm »

Edit2: It seems that the magma didn't burn anyone.  Or at least it didn't burn my tunnelsmiths when they got caught in 7/7 magma somehow.  They drowned.  Their copper picks are still there, unmelted.  But it seems their bodies died.  Interesting.

Do you have temperature on?

Qracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: January 08, 2011, 10:23:39 pm »

I'm currently being sieged by.... A troll armourer, a troll mason and a troll metalcrafter.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: January 08, 2011, 10:31:42 pm »

I'm currently being sieged by.... A troll armourer, a troll mason and a troll metalcrafter.
I got sieged by a fisher and a brewer  8)
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9562 on: January 08, 2011, 10:50:49 pm »

Today I discovered that when a wild animal in a cage located in a cage stockpile dies of old age, a dwarf will pick up the entire cage and carry it to the butcher's shop in order to butcher the creature.  I had known that wild creatures that died of old age would be butchered, but I didn't realize that the dwarves were quite clever and/or lazy enough to carry the entire cage to the butcher's shop.  This is relevant to my current fortress, where I have several hundred assorted fish in cages which are starting to die of old age.  It looks like BannerLeague is going to be exporting vast amounts of processed seafood in the upcoming years.

Meanwhile, the breeding pair of sea serpents which were the entire point of the fortress, which all the other fish were mere bycatch of, have inexplicably stopped giving birth, having produced a mere 6 offspring.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: January 08, 2011, 10:59:45 pm »

You managed to get sea serpents? Awesome.

I'm being attacked by an emperor dragon, a far larger breed of dragon I modded in. No new special abilities, so it's still immune to cage traps, though legendary in all the skills dragons naturally have, and new skin material with the damage resistance of copper, which I'm not sure about whether it's actually better. Excellent catch though. 8)
Too bad it's got a full title, Gabbusnis Clobberthrew the Heavenly Deity of Thorns, all of it in Cobalditic. It's tasted blood no doubt, and although I'll tame it I will not allow it to leave the cage except once to test it, it must prove itself. It's also female. Do megabeasts reproduce if tamed?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:03:27 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9564 on: January 08, 2011, 11:04:03 pm »

You managed to get sea serpents? Awesome.
It was extremely difficult.  I had to embark on a world zone boundary in order to get two, since sea serpents are one to a region, and I was lucky that the two which spawned were of opposite gender.  I also had to drain the ocean and build platforms covered with cage traps, with elaborate systems of raising drawbridges and pumps allowing me to isolate the traps and pump the water out of them.  Of course, I caught hundreds of other fish and several dozen whales in the process.

Do megabeasts reproduce if tamed?
Nope.  Megabeasts do not reproduce, ever, unless you've modded them to have children.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: January 08, 2011, 11:10:09 pm »

I did mod them to have a child stage, actually. Maybe I could produce more if it does work with just that change, and I'm lucky enough to get another one. Have to remove the pet_exotic though...
Assuming every dwarf that tries hauling it doesn't starve to death on the way down!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:14:44 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: January 08, 2011, 11:29:51 pm »

I just got the vile force of darkness message, before hitting resume I see four pages of Goblins riding giant bats, trolls and... blizzard men? Really?
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: January 08, 2011, 11:34:38 pm »

A proficient mason/engraver just became possessed, and took over a craftsdwarves shop. What the hell? Is this result of the implementation of slabs? do I need to make on for him?
I make Spellcrafts!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: January 09, 2011, 12:06:25 am »

A proficient mason/engraver just became possessed, and took over a craftsdwarves shop. What the hell? Is this result of the implementation of slabs? do I need to make on for him?

No, slabs are not artifactable, to my knowledge.  This has happened in my fort, too, but I can't remember exactly what happened.  I see a lot of craftsdwarf artifacts, but I have fewer legendary craftsdwarves.  Could be that engravers now go there?
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: January 09, 2011, 12:07:46 am »

Engravers have claimed craftsdwarves' workshops for a while.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 3842