Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109549 times)

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9540 on: January 08, 2011, 03:49:18 pm »

My legendary cook, who's probably been responsible for half the happiness of the fortress during its entire 13-year lifespan, has just been shot in the foot, and con no longer walk.

I really hope we get working crutches very soon...

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9541 on: January 08, 2011, 04:11:04 pm »

Had 2 funny baby related deaths today. A mother gave birth while training in a danger room. To say the least the baby did not make it. Dwarven abotion I guess The mother had a tantrum and kicked a dog breaking it's lower spine. She was tossed in jail and I kid you not the baby came back as a ghost and killed her in her cell. Deathworked has to be the most interesting fort I have played! The dog is still alive, update when the dog dies.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9542 on: January 08, 2011, 04:20:02 pm »

For some reason thats the most inspiring thing Ive ever heard happening in a fort.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Bedlam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9543 on: January 08, 2011, 04:24:29 pm »

Put all the adult dwarves (of 173 total) working on building a mega-moat, after making a mega-farm, getting water from river with use of pumps... I somehow think this fortress is going to end in mega-disaster.

Killabyte

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9544 on: January 08, 2011, 04:32:17 pm »

Ive just started a new fort, and ive built it into the most awesome mountain range. Basically its three huge natural pillars holding up a near perfect square of mountain.

Top down view:
------
------
0-0-0

The lines are ground and the dots open space. Also the middle pillar is a volcano  8)

EDIT: Screenshot!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:57:41 pm by Killabyte »

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9545 on: January 08, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »

Nothin' really. just about to make some fortifitions and whine about lack of flux.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9546 on: January 08, 2011, 05:00:01 pm »

It is the year 600 in minebowels, i still couldn't bring myself to abandon this as it's running so well, yet i want to start adventuring with the artifact adamantine shirt and mailshirt my smithies have made already. Somehow i still hope for an artifact weapon that isn't crap...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9547 on: January 08, 2011, 05:04:52 pm »

I'm trying to accomplish multiple things at once. My first objective is to floor over the roof of the overfort 7-8 levels up, where I will construct a massive windmill farm to power pumps for my not-so-soon-to-be dining room advanced mister system. With the number of gear assemblies and axles I'll need it may turn out to be a waste of time, but I can always augment it with some water reactors.

I'm also creating a new magma forge area on top of one of the auxiliary magma pipes in the first cavern level. This will significantly speed up my metalsmithing operations, assuming there's someone idling at all times. I intend to floor over the entire pipe except for spaces for the forges, and use it as an ore storage site. The muddy ground I'm forces to wall in will make good tree farms and give the farmers jobs as herbalists.

The next thing I'm going to do is construct massive statues and/or shrines for all the deities. I've made blueprints for the statue of the mineral goddess Onol. Here's a copy of them;

I've dug, smoothed, and will soon stock and furnish a zoo/second dining hall for my dwarves. I'm putting in place some fancy glass portals for the doors and will engrave it all, put statues in the corners, so on and so forth.

All this while preventing the constant stream of ambushes from dulling down my fairly pathetic military. I may have to spend a few hours making it more effective as well. At least I have a constant stream of brainless, soulless meat-bags to restock it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:37:06 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9548 on: January 08, 2011, 05:35:17 pm »

Sweet, sweet screams of kobold gangraped by bunch of war dogs.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9549 on: January 08, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »

Tinwonders is actually going pretty okay; Bustcontests got deleted because I was annoyed over something or another; Hatchetbrew is so successful I'm getting kind of bored with it.

I'm having to rethink my "foe grinder"; I tried it last night on a savescummed game and it didn't work at all, the elves and goblins just wandered around on the spikes. Obviously I need to hook the spikes to a repeater next time.

ETA:

The Proxian cancels TV Tropes: Taken by mood.
The Proxian is taken by a fey mood!
The Proxian has claimed a computer and deleted all existing DF files!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:06:36 pm by proxn_punkd »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9550 on: January 08, 2011, 06:02:50 pm »

Tinwonders is actually going pretty okay; Bustcontests got deleted because I was annoyed over something or another; Hatchetbrew is so successful I'm getting kind of bored with it.

I'm having to rethink my "foe grinder"; I tried it last night on a savescummed game and it didn't work at all, the elves and goblins just wandered around on the spikes. Obviously I need to hook the spikes to a repeater next time.
Why not just throw some very much like people in hatchetbrew off a cliff, for, you know, a challenge?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9551 on: January 08, 2011, 06:18:32 pm »

Why not just throw some very much like people in hatchetbrew off a cliff, for, you know, a challenge?
I'd have to build cliffs to pitch them off, but I suppose that's one possibility.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9552 on: January 08, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »

Just kick them under a bridge.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9553 on: January 08, 2011, 06:25:24 pm »

My volcano sacrifice pit to Armok thing is constructed!  6 Z-level fall into the lava!  Lotsa sacrifices!  Armok will be most pleased!

Edit: Great success!  The dozens of gobbos fell into the lava or were cut down by my guards!  I even accidentally pitted a donkey foal, and thus found out a magma pool in a hitherto undiscovered cavern!

Edit2: It seems that the magma didn't burn anyone.  Or at least it didn't burn my tunnelsmiths when they got caught in 7/7 magma somehow.  They drowned.  Their copper picks are still there, unmelted.  But it seems their bodies died.  Interesting.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:29:16 pm by Savolainen5 »
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9554 on: January 08, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »

My first real siege (7-8 trolls, ~30 goblins) ended with all but three dead invaders and only 4 dead dwarfs. I forgot to forbid some stuff outside so some trolls killed one dwarfs then his buddies went outside get his stuff (and his corpse), you know the deal.

Anyway, my pit trap worked amazingly; the only thing it had a problem with was trolls, but I guess that is to be expected. Each of my weapon traps has 3 spiked steel balls of varying quality and trolls seems to be able to run over 3-6 of traps before dodging themselves down 10 Zs. I made the bridge 38 tiles long and this siege only managed to get up to trap 11 or 12. I love this game. I think I might start a war with the elves after they bring me more animals.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:43:36 pm by Bererez »
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 3842