Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108826 times)

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9375 on: January 02, 2011, 09:01:02 pm »

I just learned, and practiced, Quantam Dumping.

I feel dirty for taking the easy way out to make room for my stockpiles.  :'(
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: January 02, 2011, 09:37:16 pm »

It settles in like an old stain that you've gotten used to; after a while you hardly feel the sleight pang of revulsion and guilt. It doesn't quite go away, but it becomes a familiar habit of beating down the howling dogs with reason. Just one step closer to insanity. The turning point is when you start yearning for the pang as a sign that you still care (while still doing that thing of course)... :P

Join usssss.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:59:03 pm by AngleWyrm »

Atramedes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: January 02, 2011, 09:47:19 pm »

About 20 or 30 werewolves are just chillin outside my entrance, forcing me to forbid all theitems in my entrance hall because my dwarves run at the sight of the werewolves.

About to rush the ones i trapped inside my bridge with my military.

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: January 03, 2011, 12:00:21 am »

i  have a pretty novice fort goin now, no migrants yet and everything is going pretty alright, when some elves drop by to trade. I let them in and proceed to seal my depot out so they are now stuck in a little room with all their items and animals, waiting to leave. But I don't think I'm gonna let them out, is there anything I can do to make them suffer? Or perhaps should I just let them starve in there after eating all their food and then camels?

And then I get a wave of migrants, oh dwarf fort you so meta.

The elves went berserk! they both killed the camels in their and one of the elves killed the other two elves, I killed the crazy elf and took all his supplies, certainly a fine way to get equipment from the elves, hope they send another caravan next year!
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: January 03, 2011, 12:26:00 am »

BREAKING NEWS

A dragon has attacked the 'Greatest Bane of Devils' ! Early reports talk about 2 dwarfs dead an a lot of roasted pet meat!

Well I was having my first 10 minutes of gameplay today and a dragon decides to spice things a little.
I instantly but calmly set alert lvl 1, locking all civilians to the main burrow, that means, no one on the surface and everyone behind the main bridge (cyan one on the ss).
But I decide not to retract the bridge. After all, in the way down to my fortress there are a line of 2 x 5 cage traps. I will just cage the dragon and use it for some games in the arena with the goblin population I have in cages.
Well, what I didnt count with a couple of cats hunting stuff outside. One was scorched right away, the other managed to run into the base, but the Dragon catched him and proceded to burn him.... WHILE CROSSING MY TRAPS! So I just see a big smoke screen, and I say "the dragon must be already in a cage", when I see him emergin from the other sido, right into my base. Yeah, all the cages but one were of wood.

Emergency, a Dragon is on the perimeter! No enough time to retract the bridge.
I was reluctanty of sending my army, which is yet to train enough blocking to cover the dragon fire, but I see the dragon crossing the bridge... right into the metting area! I have to act!!

The dragon turned right and fired a volley into my merchant site, burning in the process another line of traps (the ones that I put in the unlikely situation something got that far). In the metting area right below were what remained of the recent butcher spree I had, a cuple of dogs, a cougar, and some black bears. They braverly start fighting the dragon, most dying in the process, but gaining precious seconds for the army to come.

The Dragon fires another breath, to the right, burning the whole alley, including the makeup prison (thank god I still had not apointed a sheriff), then proceeds to fire another one up-right, right into my 200-dwarf dinning hall in the making; there was a couple of civilians having a delicious blackbear roasted sweetbread. They had a low and painfull death. A third dwarf had his upper body fat melted, and to this moment is ozzing blood from there. His future is yet uncertain.

Then Sabin (previously know with other name that keeps comming back :@ ) is the first soldier to arrive. And he proceeds to OWN the dragon, punches included.
This is the second dragon I have killed, but the first one died to weapons traps in another fortress. So this one, to me at least, felt like my first big kill in the game. Sabin by the way, is the new hero in town, and now he is getting ready to go face the 5 forgotten beast that we have locked on the cavern lvl 1.

Some images via reuters.

The path of the dragon
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The fight with Sabin

The new hero screen !

Official casualties list

I hope Im not over reacting, lol

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: January 03, 2011, 12:52:14 am »

Brought a pair of male cats on embark, so they could safely be adopted and take care of vermin in the fort (We'll deal with migrant pets when they arrive).

They're a little too good at their job.

Dead lungfish everywhere. The rough floors of young Slingroared are covered in them.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #9381 on: January 03, 2011, 01:26:57 am »

Blackchasm (yes, terribly creative, I know) enters its 8th year now, and has much to show for it.  In that relatively short span, the fort's wealth has burgeoned to over 40,000,000 and brought the king himself to live there.  With food and drink enough to last about 16 and 6 years, respectively, nobody's much concerned about starving to death or dying of dehydration.  Currently the main project is just keeping the 178 residents of the fort busy, in the form of a massive eyesore of a tower that's about as consistent in color as a peacock.  Steel on hand has peaked past 2,400, and tin is rising up to around 1,000 (in spite of constant conversion into barrels and bins), with everything else holding steady between 20 and 500 on hand, so there's not much worry about running out of metals any time soon.  The military trains constantly in preparation for an expedition into the forbidden realms, but they're far from ready just yet.
Sanity is for the weak.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: January 03, 2011, 02:45:40 am »

I just learned [VERMINHUNTER] is what made cats adopt dwarves... I learned this after adding it to my dogs to take care of vermin since puppies yield bones but cats do not.  I was HOPING that by adding that tag to dogs I could remove it from cats and just let cats have their kittens and grow up so I could harvest the delicious, delicious cats and still have dogs out and about.  Guess this means Puppies are quickly going to become biscuits. :\

Oh well, at least my battle cattle program is working as well as expected.  Horribly but extremely amusing.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: January 03, 2011, 05:34:38 am »

It's now the end of year 2, and my fort's industrial sector has been moved to above the first cavern. My dormitory, dining room and kitchens are still on the surface, and my miners are being lazy. Next step is to move the kitchens underground, then build bedrooms. And I suppose I'll need some defences and militia soon too.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: January 03, 2011, 05:51:51 am »

One of my axedorfs, legendary armour user, expert axe, lost both his baby daughters because I was stupid enough to let his wife do mechanisms and she got both of them killed in my danger room. First one died there, the second, younger died later of infection. Wife unhappy, axedwarf still content. :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9385 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:17 am »

One of my axedorfs, legendary armour user, expert axe, lost both his baby daughters because I was stupid enough to let his wife do mechanisms and she got both of them killed in my danger room. First one died there, the second, younger died later of infection. Wife unhappy, axedwarf still content. :(

I hate how danger rooms are actually dangerous, they kill babies and cause tantrum spirals.

I hope that babies could be armored with adamantine..
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: January 03, 2011, 07:41:14 am »

The mother has gone, unofficially, insane. She is seeking infant. Both are dead. :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: January 03, 2011, 07:54:58 am »

Oh look...
"The forgotten beast Icithi Fafirelefide Lathiedini has come! A great blob composed of ash. It has three narrow tails and it has a bloated body."
Doesn't sound too terrifying. Release the Giant War Lion!
(The beast appears to be loitering in the lake of the second cavern layer.)

UPDATED: The beast is now in the upper cavern. It appears to have killed at least three dogs - however, its only attack is pushing them. Still shatters bones though.
One of my dwarfs just punched its left tail clean off. Then kicked its right tail away. Then tore a chunk out of its body with her hand, which appears to have finished it off.
There is now "IFL's Ash" sitting on the floor. Is that a butcherable corpse, or do I make soap out of it?

MORE UPDATE: So a troll turned up, and proceeded to grab a metalsmith, and bend everything to see if it would bend. Needless to say, after a few broken bones and a damaged spine, the smith died. I sent my few untrained militia after it, including the wrestler from above. She's unconscious with a broken ankle and other injuries. Another wrestler and two dogs have smacked the troll around enough to make it pass out, but it's not dead yet. Hopefully someone with a weapon will turn up soon.
Oh, OK. The unconscious wrestler woke up, split the troll's head in two with an axe she happened to be carrying, then fell unconscious again. Nice work.
And just to make life more interesting, there's a gremlin. Oh dear.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:08:21 am by MooUK »

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: January 03, 2011, 08:56:05 am »

The mother has gone, unofficially, insane. She is seeking infant. Both are dead. :(
Her Husband is one among the 10 Dwarf-deaths so far caused by a triple Goblin ambush. 9 of which are soldiers. Lost two dogs as well and only 7 Goblins died. :( One Goblin is in a cage, though.

Edit; FIVE goblins in cages. :3 and an elf caravan is moving directly at the third ambush and can't get in.

Edit 2;First ambush is mostly killed (mainly archers), second ambush fled with only two dead goblins and third ambush is mostly caged. :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:02:45 am by FrisianDude »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: January 03, 2011, 09:04:55 am »

Dostom Starpsboars the Natural Gulf, savanna Titan made of sard, was killed right in front of the fortress today. It caused two of my warriors to drown, one of them quite the competent doctor. A couple more deaths occurred too, and we're now down to 155 dwarfs. Most married dwarfs are now widows, and if they had kids, they are lucky to have one of them alive or left alone by the goblins. Speaking of which, a 13-year-old shot bravely at goblins but lost the use of her right foot, her only family is her single mother. No migrants this season, sadly. I'll never complain about them again.  :(
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 3842