Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5973220 times)

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8820 on: December 15, 2010, 10:40:20 pm »

My hospital is actually working! It is so damn endearing to see everybody doing their part.

Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8821 on: December 16, 2010, 05:48:48 am »

Winter 263: Windslap's hospital got a functioning well. AT LAST.
It is a small revolution here.

Getting a working well was the first accomplishment I was proud of at DF. Congrats :)
Thanks! Now the doctors are seeing their patients within the week of their admission and almost seem eager to help them. There was a time where no patient would die of anything else but thirst. This era of mass dehydration is finished!
Oh, also, barony. Two more diplomats are waiting in line now.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: December 16, 2010, 06:08:28 am »

Finally got a spider silk farm operational, after building a chamber immediately ABOVE the caverns with a single entrance in. I surrounded the hole with cage traps (for the inevitable FB) and waited for the cave spiders to manifest, and sure enough, they did. Now we're sitting pretty in silk garmentry.

I've got a tribe of sparrowmen immediately UNDER the hole, staring up at it, waiting for me to build stairs down or something, an it ain't gonna happen. Hopefully sparrowmen can't fly.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Shelegelah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: December 16, 2010, 06:15:41 am »

I've embarked on my first ever volcano, and I've named my fort appropriately... Thustarsakrith Zikelstodir, which translates to something like 'Crimsonblaze the Fiery Volcano'.

Sure, it's cheesy, but boy is it fun.

Currently I'm working on perfecting my tower system and my magma-execution platform overhanging the very caldera of the mountain.

Also dealing with a strange breed of floating kitten that is apparently resistant to magma.

Very worrisome.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #8824 on: December 16, 2010, 07:24:41 am »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: December 16, 2010, 08:01:37 am »

It was looking good for The Kingdom of Kings. A victory over a chaos dwarf ambush party left only one dwarf dead, a child that was being snatched and was released in the middle of the battlefield, and the spoils of war would have bought a great deal from the caravans. The miltia commander, pierced by a spear, was quickly patched up and healed without complications.

The following season, along with three caravans, came six ambushes. The militia sallied forth, but was quickly destroyed. In no time at all, no dwarf remained alive.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Gamer of Indie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: December 16, 2010, 08:26:08 am »

Also dealing with a strange breed of floating kitten that is apparently resistant to magma.

Very worrisome.

You know how if you keep throwing antibiotics at a virus, it can become immune to them?

I think that somehow happened with DF, only the virus is cat and the antibiotic is magma.
Everyone knows dwarves pass knowledge through a mass collective, fueled by alcohol. Hence their inability to sustain themselves over long periods with water; they lose the dwarven empathic connection, and become singular and... sane. Which in turn drives them crazy!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: December 16, 2010, 08:28:21 am »

Ahhh, yes. I had that breed of kitten when I didn't want to breach the magma sea but instead send it through the magma pipe. Strange kitten, that one. My first real fort too, I think.

Also :
I think that somehow happened with DF, only the virus is cat and the antibiotic is magma.
Nice joke. Or it wasn't.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: December 16, 2010, 09:48:39 am »

So...many...gold...goblets. I'll be able to buy everything the next few caravans bring. Even masterpiece platinum cabinets.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:20:51 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: December 16, 2010, 10:04:54 am »

I just created a fortress named "TowerCrafted".

Time to get some towers up...

I also found the most badass ants ever:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:27:21 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: December 16, 2010, 02:44:10 pm »

I just lost five of my soldiers to Sostet Eraruker, a three-eyed alligator with poisonous vapors who appeared in my caverns. They dispatched it quickly, but not quickly enough. They all died on the bridge leading back to the stairwell.

I feared a tantrum spiral, but apparently those five weren't all that well liked. They'd been in the militia since they arrived at the fort, so I guess they didn't really have time to make that many friends.

This takes me back down to a population of 85. I'm capped at 90, so I should be getting replacements in a season or two.

EDIT: I hit "post" too soon. In a classic case of kitten rot, every dog and cat in my fort is now dead. It wasn't that many; two guard dogs, plus about a dozen pets in total. As soon as the first one dropped I scheduled all the strays for butchery, but it was no use. This syndrome, whatever it is, killed fast. Paralysis, trouble breathing, heavy bleeding. It's a race to see whether the victims suffocate or bleed out first.

The population currently sits at 77, and nobody else is affected so far according to the health screen. There are a couple of low-grade tantrums, but no violence as yet. Dare I hope it's over?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:03:31 pm by Fishbulb »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: December 16, 2010, 03:08:30 pm »

Part 28 of my DF LP is up.

Summary; fuck vultures.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: December 16, 2010, 03:30:54 pm »

lulz
great update. thanks!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8833 on: December 16, 2010, 04:05:54 pm »

Okay. Seriously. Seriously.

Just as I thought I was starting to get a handle on the ebola outbreak in my fortress — population down to 74 from 90, including two offenders who were punched to death by fortress guards when the jail filled up, but moods were stabilizing and nobody had exploded in a shower of gore in nearly a month — the game crashed.

The game. Crashed.

I'm not a proud man. I will savescum with the best of them. But I prefer it to be my choice, thanks.

At least I do seasonal autosaves. Thought I can't remember exactly when the last season-break happened. Was it before or after the uninvited guest that started the whole thing? I don't recall. I'm a little scared to re-open the game. I'm not sure I can handle seeing my fort fall into chaos a second time.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: December 16, 2010, 05:48:00 pm »

MUHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHA IT WORKS
My global mist generator system works! Now, there's a veil of mist in all the main halls of the fort! I can switch it on and off at will, and the risk of flooding is very limited! I did it! And it can refill the hospital well, too! And it was all designed and finished in only 14 years!
Now, all I need to do is a little tweaking. Then, finish building the giant statue of Zuglar the Oar of Yearlings, dwarf god of lakes, oceans, coasts, rivers, and children, so that it looks like he's pouring the water from his blue hands. Then... dunno, I'll make more statues probably.
My semi-useful megaproject.... it's so pretty.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:38:50 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 3839