Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105460 times)

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8745 on: December 12, 2010, 10:45:28 pm »

A GCS managed to survive 3 steel serrated disk traps and walk into a cage trap.  :o
It's missing a few legs so I don't know how well it will do as defense.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: December 12, 2010, 10:54:57 pm »

Is this normal in the new version?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would say no.  Modded game perchance?  I have also encountered some odd things like that.  A bucket full of nothing milk (or something to that effect) and some _leather if I recall correctly. Modded game, but I made this mod completely myself and I didn't do anything particularly odd with leather or creature extracts so it seems odd to be related to my modding..  Never encountered anything like that before either. 

I pretty much ignored them both and they traveled off map with the caravan with no issue.  Never encountered a living nothing though, maybe related to bogeymen?  Try atom smashing the sucker?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:59:08 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: December 12, 2010, 11:01:18 pm »

Is this normal in the new version?

I have heard of goblins killing each other, but I've never seen them labeled as "nothing" before. That's a rather common glitch I see in the modding section when someone forgets to define a caste name for their new creature. Did you mess around with the goblin raws at all?

Also, Part 25 of my LP is up. All that happened was the dwarves proved just how dumb they are and another beast from the deep came up to menace the workers. So par the course for Reveredtour.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: December 12, 2010, 11:20:16 pm »

I'm guessing putting in a dated version of the orcs mod probably did it. In any case, I think I'll look in the modding section to fix my problem.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: December 12, 2010, 11:58:38 pm »

Named a captain of the guard to add up to the whole DF experience.

I start making him his room, almost done then..... 'Smithy' McDwarf has been struck down.
I start wondering, "was that the FireMan?" I check. I see my new captain of the guard, and the corpse. The last time I checked crimes he only violated an export ban, but I do admit this was a long time ago.

But  I don't care if there weren't any jails. He was a smith because he was the best smith for whatever he was smithing! You don't kill him!

So I cheated and ctrl+alt+del quit. Probably shoulda sent my entire military after him and watch as the fortress died.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: December 13, 2010, 01:36:40 am »

Well, I proceeded with the launching of the Nickel, and as I was warned, it failed hideously. Not only did the entire thing fall apart, but the magma wave knocked several dwarves into the volcano along with it, including a strange-mooding armorer at the magma forge.

I did discover the magma sea, though, so there's that.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: December 13, 2010, 01:38:51 am »

Finishing construction of an artificial extension of my starting river to make invading more fun for goblins and so on (That is, restricting entry to one direction).

Also, i've got a visit from elven traders, and need to generate wealth fast as all hell.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: December 13, 2010, 01:53:59 am »

I have just learned that if you build a garbage dump right next to magma, rather than stack everything on the actual tile, the dwarves just punt that shit into the magma. This will speed things up a little.

Also, more exciting news: First a minotaur arrived, before I'd even started a military. In a panic, I activated the magma-weapon, hoping the minotaur would be too dumb to live and wander into it. That failed, and so did the non-magma-safe mechanisms of the floodgate. So I can't reseal the magam right now, but it's flowing awfully slowly, so maybe something's blocking it. However, the team of migrants I threw together managed, not to kill the minotaur, but to throw it into the magma! Anybody want some hot, melted minotaur?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:51:23 am by Samuel »

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #8753 on: December 13, 2010, 04:46:50 am »

• I now have enough forgotten beasts to recreate the complete cast of Jesus Christ Superstar
  • I have way too much stone, not enough bins, and my block production is too slow.
  • I managed to dig all the way to the top of the mountain.  Now I need to channel all my scaffoldings down AND construct pillars that will hold my lamps in place.  BONUS: I don't have any sand, meaning I must somehow import all my glass.  This won't be easy since I am challenging myself to systematically destroy any and all foreign entities that attempt to access the fort, including caravans.
  • Thinking about it, I might just make one clear glass block for each lamp.  This should serve enough of a purpose without destroying the intention.
  • In my attempt to break into the gazpacho sea, I actually discovered a third underground cavern!
  • Because of the incredible litter scattered outside the fortress, I am constantly getting spammed by steal messages.
  • Building constructions just ain't easy when it takes a full three seconds to load the blocks list.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: December 13, 2010, 05:44:53 am »

• I now have enough forgotten beasts to recreate the complete cast of Jesus Christ Superstar
  • I have way too much stone, not enough bins, and my block production is too slow.
  • I managed to dig all the way to the top of the mountain.  Now I need to channel all my scaffoldings down AND construct pillars that will hold my lamps in place.  BONUS: I don't have any sand, meaning I must somehow import all my glass.  This won't be easy since I am challenging myself to systematically destroy any and all foreign entities that attempt to access the fort, including caravans.
  • Thinking about it, I might just make one clear glass block for each lamp.  This should serve enough of a purpose without destroying the intention.
  • In my attempt to break into the gazpacho sea, I actually discovered a third underground cavern!
  • Because of the incredible litter scattered outside the fortress, I am constantly getting spammed by steal messages.
  • Building constructions just ain't easy when it takes a full three seconds to load the blocks list.

Should have evaporated your stone.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: December 13, 2010, 06:59:50 am »

They all fear my army of tamed macaques. THEY ALL. FEAR. MY ARMY. OF TAMED MACAQUES.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: December 13, 2010, 07:13:36 am »

In my first migration of 6 dwarves: 2 soapers. I can tell why they were sent away.

On the plus side? High master stonecrafter. Yesh.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: December 13, 2010, 07:17:09 am »

Let me tell you what a noob I am. Are you ready? Here goes.

My big, ambitious megaproject for the fort-of-the-moment — Silvertouch — is an automatic wading-pond filler. And I'm struggling with it!

In my two entrance halls — the one to the outside world, and the one leading to the walled-off refuse pit/butchery/tannery — I've got little wading pits dug: ramp down, one tile of channel, ramp up. Fill it by bucket brigade to 2 or 3 and it washes my dwarves nicely whenever they enter or exit the fort. Handy.

But after I breached the cavern, I started to get plants growing in them, so I had to drain them. Then something else came up, I don't recall what exactly, and I drained them again. And filling them each time is a pain, and plus if I'm not exceedingly careful I get water between 2/7 and 3/7 and there's flow, and that probably isn't much but it can't be helping my FPS.

So I decided I wanted to create an automated filling rig. Dig a pipe from the brook, flood gate, more pipe, flood gate, then pond. If I did the math right, I could fill the tiles between the two gates with 7/7 water, close the outer gate, open the inner gate and drop exactly 2/2 on all the tiles in my pond. No evaporation, and also no flow.

How hard can it be!?

Well, it turns out it's quite hard, because I'm stupid. I can't seem to add up the number 2 a bunch of times and then divide by 7. So I place flood gates, try it, realize I got it wrong, move the gates, try it again … it's a mess. A sheer mess.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: December 13, 2010, 09:54:02 am »

One of my strand extractors gave birth to a boy in her sleep. The baby is crawling out of the room into the hallway.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #8759 on: December 13, 2010, 10:32:55 am »

Should have evaporated your stone.

Yeah... but I plan on using it.   :(

In fact, true to my habits, I'll prolly convert all that loose rock into blocks and stash all this into massive stockpiles in the heart of my fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 3842