Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105330 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8730 on: December 12, 2010, 06:23:31 pm »

There's a friggin' bronze colossus that appeared
Milol Battleclash the Renown of Danger
this thing appears on several engravings after slaughtering so many things
WHY ME
sending all the military, and getting ready to ragequit and reload if they fail.
WHYYYYY
I read that as booze colossus for some reason.
Lead it into a dark room below a magma chamber. Melt that monstrosity to the ground!
Do you have any idea where's the closest magma? Waaaaaay below. Way. Below.
Oh good god it's kicked my best macedwarf to death and she didn't manage to land a single hit OH GOD IT'S COMING AND IT IS bruising a war dog to death...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: December 12, 2010, 06:23:48 pm »

Since they are so heavy, if you forced one to fall somehow (cave-in ring, perhaps?) and made it drop about 10 z-levels it would shatter since it would drop like a block of lead.

More like a block of bronze.

There's a friggin' bronze colossus that appeared
Milol Battleclash the Renown of Danger
this thing appears on several engravings after slaughtering so many things
WHY ME
sending all the military, and getting ready to ragequit and reload if they fail.
WHYYYYY
I read that as booze colossus for some reason.
Lead it into a dark room below a magma chamber. Melt that monstrosity to the ground!
Do you have any idea where's the closest magma? Waaaaaay below. Way. Below.
Oh good god it's kicked my best macedwarf to death and she didn't manage to land a single hit OH GOD IT'S COMING AND IT IS bruising a war dog to death...

Lock yourself in. Take your time to pump magma up. Pour it onto the colossus. Fastest way to do it in that situation, really.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: December 12, 2010, 06:27:10 pm »

A 50 foot statue composed of solid bronze, actually.

And without access to magma, try the cave-in trap idea. Or just lock it in some room, cage trap it etc.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: December 12, 2010, 06:30:08 pm »

... oh, right, cage trap.
Well, I got a chance to survive, there are several traps around. I just hope he has the good idea to step on one before he's done boxing the whole army. They seem extremely eager to meet a legend.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: December 12, 2010, 06:31:37 pm »

Cage traps are really the quintessence of anticlimax. I always have all my entryways lined with tons of them.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: December 12, 2010, 06:43:23 pm »

And on top of that, there are migrants arriving. Oh, and a possession in a metalsmithing workshop.
Even though the mayor is in danger of dying and I can't afford losing him now (has to do with two meetings in progress and his nomination to baron), I'm very tempted to not reload just for the sheer stupidity of it all.

EDIT: wait, I understand why all he can do is bruise his victims. He stole a cougar leather mitten and is slapping an axedwarf and the mayor at high speed with it. I think I will reload for the sake of preserving everyone's dignity and pretend none of this ever happened.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:55:07 pm by Musashi »

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: December 12, 2010, 07:59:56 pm »

I am under construction of "The Nickel", a magma-submarine constructed of nickel and green glass, which I will use to send a single brave dwarf down into the volcano, to see if the depths can be found, and a settlement in the caverns began. I'm giving the magmanaut a 10% of a succesful mission, not factoring in the 99% chance that the entire vessel will just fall apart upon launch.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: December 12, 2010, 08:01:58 pm »

I am under construction of "The Nickel", a magma-submarine constructed of nickel and green glass, which I will use to send a single brave dwarf down into the volcano, to see if the depths can be found, and a settlement in the caverns began. I'm giving the magmanaut a 10% of a succesful mission, not factoring in the 99% chance that the entire vessel will just fall apart upon launch.

It will fall apart as soon as you drop it.  A much, much easier way to get what you want is to just throw a kitten down the volcano.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: December 12, 2010, 08:10:00 pm »

It will fall apart as soon as you drop it.  A much, much easier way to get what you want is to just throw a kitten down the volcano.

Dwarf Fortress: Throwing kittens into volcanoes to see what's on the bottom.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: December 12, 2010, 08:33:37 pm »

My 50 Dwarf (after new immigrant wave) Fort is coming along nicely on some fronts, not at all on others.
Entering the second year spring (immediately after first year).

Construction:
1.) I will soon have 80 3x3 rooms. They will all be smoothed stone. 20 of these rooms are set up around 2 military barracks.
2.) I have removed all ramps around the hill my fort is based in, except for a 3 wide rampway.
3.) The dining hall is completed and smoothed, but there are no tables and no chairs yet (leveling crafters)
4.) I have over 100 stone blocks for
5.) Have 12 unsmoothed  3x3 tombs, soon to be smoothed.
6.) have massive soil level storage area.
7.) Have not breached caverns yet (preferring it that way so far)

Labors:
1.) I have 4, soon to be 5 legendary miners who are also adept or better engravers
2.) The carpenter/mayor is a master carpenter. The mason is on accomplished, and proficient building designer.
3.) I have well over 30 dwarves with no defined jobs as haulers currently, this might change
4.) legendary stonecrafter.
5.) No food production whatsoever, trading for food and what I brought with me.
6.) No booze production whatsoever, trading for it.
7.) Legendary bowyer (produced an artifact blowgun in a mood.... yeah... *sigh*)
8.) High master weaponsmith and armorsmith immigrant.

Industries:
Carpentry: Set up nicely
Masonry: Set up nicely
Leather: Set up, still needs work.
Forging: not set up at all.
Farming: not set up at all.
Textiles: Not set up at all.

Military: Nonexistant. 7 wardogs though.
1.) Need plan to train military without armor currently.
2.) Need trap setup around sole access rampway.

Question: Should I just make tables and chairs out of wood given that my carpenter is so much more skilled than my mason?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

juanito89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8740 on: December 12, 2010, 08:50:36 pm »

Labors:

Industries:

DOOOOOOOOOMED.

;)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: December 12, 2010, 08:52:32 pm »

Even if your rock furniture was base quality, and your whole dining room is smoothed and engraved it would still be legendary.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: December 12, 2010, 08:59:36 pm »

But it wouldn't be nearly as legendary!

Just put some statues in the corners...

My fort is coming along nicely, I've got basic industries and magma forges, so now I'm focusing on producing weaponry for the trap hall and making the fort more livable.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:01:44 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: December 12, 2010, 10:13:35 pm »

Labors:

Industries:

DOOOOOOOOOMED.

;)

Actually I can trade for booze and with one entrance/exit I can trap the shit out of it. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: December 12, 2010, 10:27:47 pm »

Is this normal in the new version?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 3842